Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming you have a PS4 Pro? I don't know how that console works, but as long as it's doing the scaling from 1080p to 4k for you, I don't think you'll have much issue. Sounds like the tvs scalar adds quite a bit of input lag, so if you can do the scaling on the console for a game that's 1080p, you should be fine. Usually those frame interpolation settings add lots of input lag, and black frame insertion can add input lag too.

Yes, I'll be using a PS4Pro.

Well that sucks, but not completely surprising.

You might be waiting for IFA next year for HDMI 2.1 to show up.

I haven't seen anything on the horizon that would tell me there'll be a flood of HDMI 2.1 TV's at CES.

For those who only care about brightness and not anything else when it comes to PQ, the Z9F isn't for you. It'll be less bright than the Z9D.

Well that sucks, but not completely surprising.
No, that branch of industry loves trickling out upgrades preferably breaking compatibility.
HDMI 2.1 is worth waiting for though. I wouldn’t buy new AV gear without it, but I kinda expected to wait until 2020/2021 in any case. (After the Tokyo Olympics)

You can’t market your product as hdmi 2.1 supported until its has passed compliance testing and the specifications for CTS are still being rolled out. You have products like the X which supports VRR and ALLM and the Sony’s Master series which support the new eARC features but neither can be marketed as 2.1 supported.

Hypothetically, every new TV planned for release in 2019 could come with 2.1 support but no manufacturer could tell you that now because they are explicitly forbidden from doing so.

Are they doing compliance testing now?

Should be just the chipsets, not necessarily the whole finished product?

Are they doing compliance testing now?

Should be just the chipsets, not necessarily the whole finished product?

HDMI.org states the first set of CTS specs were released just this month which is only 5 days old.

HDMI encourages initial self testing by manufacturers before sending a first production model to an ATC (authorized testing center) for compliance testing.

If testing has started its early in the process and only encompasses the first set of specs which is odd because the original timeline had the final stages of the CTS releasing this quarter.

Last edited:
Got the xf9005 and already got a "this is too bright" moment during the Altered Carbon intro in 4K HDR. But even without native HDR (PSVR v1), the PS4 homescreen is still very bright (I guess the TV might be coverting SDR to HDR..). Impressive stuff.

Got the xf9005 and already got a "this is too bright" moment during the Altered Carbon intro in 4K HDR. But even without native HDR (PSVR v1), the PS4 homescreen is still very bright (I guess the TV might be coverting SDR to HDR..). Impressive stuff.

You should disable that, on my ZD9 it’s called... wait what is is called? Ah, “X-tended dynamic range”. This should only be on for HDR content.

yea that thing looks awesome, a real 15000:1 contrast ratio, incredible.

the only one that measured higher was the q9fn and it really crushes detail in dark scenes, unlike the vizio. a pretty good value for sure.

I will get my LG C7 calibrated at the end of the month, I hope I'll see a difference with my "it's look ok to me !"-eye calibration :eek:

I just changed a couple of settings on my LG B7 according to a forum post (or maybe it was a Digital Foundry video). First impression was "holy crap, that's a warm picture", but a couple of hours later it looked perfectly fine to me. The LGs, at least in game mode, are hella could out of the box. The movie-centric modes look pretty good right away though.
Judging by most reviews, most of today's higher end tvs come with relatively good factory calibration settings.

I just changed a couple of settings on my LG B7 according to a forum post (or maybe it was a Digital Foundry video). First impression was "holy crap, that's a warm picture", but a couple of hours later it looked perfectly fine to me. The LGs, at least in game mode, are hella could out of the box. The movie-centric modes look pretty good right away though.
Judging by most reviews, most of today's higher end tvs come with relatively good factory calibration settings.

Yah, most people are not used to the 6500K white point, but you adjust very quickly. Overall though, the first time I calibrated the 10pt white balance and gamma on my tv I was floored by the results when I tested it on a movie.

Damn, that's a hell of a price cut. It's enough of a price drop that if I had to select between a TCL 65R617 for $1000 or Vizio PQ65 for $1500, I'd probably try the Vizio.

This Saturday my parent's TCL 65R615 (BestBuy model) is going to be delivered. Even if it's not as great as that Vizio, it's replacing a 60" Rear-Projection 4:3 ancient set that needs it's tube(s) replaced, so they're going to have one hell of an upgrade in PQ regardless. The reason I opted to get it through BestBuy for them is the $20 HAUL-AWAY service that will take care of the old set that weights in at 310 pounds. They probably wouldn't notice a 50% costlier improvement in PQ, not for what they use the TV for anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back