Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
not true, as they have a call of duty loop and a fifa loop and neither shows burn in.

they didnt test pc usage, and i cant say for sure but it would likely cause burn in with the task bar and such.

when i said it was solved, i was referring to the anomalous image retention that was noticed at week 4. the yellow text blurb in the hardocp article references the same week 4 rtings results that the video babel posted was about.

these week 4 results were like i said already were solved by lg with new firmware.

burn in is only a real concern if you watch cnn 24/7, in other words not a real concern.

Or use your TV with a PC. Or play games for hours with static HUD elements.

High-end LCDs are good enough relative to OLEDs that it's honestly not worth it to even have to think about the issue *if* you use your TV in ways that make burn-in more likely.

the panel showing image retention was at the nanosys booth, this is the company that produces the quantum dots for samsung. they had the oled next to a qled and they were deliberately trying to produce burn in by showing a static image on both.

its in modern media parlance what you call a nothing burger, fake news.

also that week 4 oled burn in test result was a result of a manufacturing issue that only effected a small number of sets made in 2017, it was fixed in firmware and is no longer an issue at rtings, who are now in week 24 of their real life oled burn in tests.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Better, but still not quite at the point where I could use one as a PC display. Hopefully LG quickly adopts the new OLED tech for producing blue OLEDs that should help significantly with long term burn in (uneven degradation over time).

All displays suffer degradation over time. All of my LCD's that are 5+ years old feature whites that noticeably grey when side by side with a new LCD, for example while an old Dell 24" display from 2002 is very noticeably yellowish in hue. The problem for OLED displays is that OLEDs degrade at different rates. This is especially egregious with the blue OLEDs which degrade significantly faster than the other colors.

I'd get one immediately for TV or console use. Except my TV viewing is done through a HTPC and my console gameplay is limited to just the Switch. :p I REALLY want one for a PC display, however. OLED displays are just gorgeous compared to even the best LCD displays. Text on a black background is also so much easier on the eyes with an OLED display.

Regards,
SB

Real concern if use as PC monitor or play the same game for a few months, like all gamers do with popular titles like Destiny, WoW, Diablo, PUBG, COD, Fortnite, etc...
Or like, the windows taskbar?

not true, as they have a call of duty loop and a fifa loop and neither shows burn in.

they didnt test pc usage, and i cant say for sure but it would likely cause burn in with the task bar and such.

Did you look at the latest group of photos? The FIFA screen does show burn-in. It's especially obvious on the magenta test screen

lol okay so if you play fifa 24/7 you will perceive very slight image retention when viewing full magenta test slides... is that a real concern?

my beef with the hardocp article was that they were misrepresenting a firmware issue that effected a small amount of sets made in a short window of time last year as something that plagues oleds in general. that they used this data from a third party to provide evidence for claims made a by a competitor (nanosys) that their product was superior was very deceptive.

yes oleds get image retention but not in real use as a tv or with game consoles, its probable if you use it to surf the web or general pc use but for gaming then no unless you play the same game literally 24/7 without ever displaying any other content.

in other words not a real concern.

The better question is why are you denying there is a real issue?

Are we talking image retention, or image burn-in? I'm seeing some apparent misunderstanding here. Afaik it's image burn-in that has some people concerned.

lol okay so if you play fifa 24/7 you will perceive very slight image retention when viewing full magenta test slides... is that a real concern?

Playing FIFA 24/7 just makes it happen faster. Playing FIFA regularly enough over a long enough period of time will make it happen eventually.

That's the issue. I don't want to ever have to worry about viewing something too much. I want to use my TV as I want, for as long as I want, as often as I want.

It's not an argument, it's a discussion about acknowledging real issues.

this is the magenta slide in question as a result of 3360 hours of fifa. 5 hours on, 1 off 4 times a day.. nothing but fifa. in normal content it would be completely unnoticeable but if you look very carefully you can see some areas are less saturated, anywho here it is the magenta slide:

real-burn-in-week-24-tv-5-magenta-large.jpg

normal people play more than one game, they watch tv, movies and so on but this is the worst case scenario nothing but fifa and again after 3360 the burn in would be unnoticeable in normal content besides full color slides, let alone one specific shade.

is this a real issue?

lol okay is it an issue? in terms of absolute screen uniformity i would prefer this specific abused oled over any lcd, because its still better.

they dont do image uniformity pictures in all colors as part of their standard testing, so to give an apples to apples comparison is impossible with magenta, but here are 2 images in gray the first is the 24 week slide from fifa with all its burn in, and the bottom is a brand new top of the line samsung q9fn.
real-burn-in-week-24-tv-5-gray-large.jpg

q9fn-dse-large.jpg

just as an example, nanosys the company that makes the quantum dots for samsung is the one who started this by showing the same image for who knows how long on both an oled and a samsung tv, in order to make the point that their technology is superior.

in this case it can be shown that is objectively worse, even after 3360 hours of fifa. i think that proves my point that the comparison was deceptive.

i doubt anyone is putting up magenta slides on their brand new q9fn and complaining about uniformity either because it's unnoticeable in normal usage. same goes for the oleds.

Last edited:
Yes, outside of pathologically bad situations (like a PC desktop or HTPC), the burn in/image retention for OLEDs isn't that significant as you're rarely looking at the exact same scene for 1000's of hours at a time.. For normal TV usage I'd get one in a heartbeat. Even with console usage, it's unlikely you'll rack up 1000's of hours of the exact same image components on screen.

How long would it take a dedicated FIFA player to rack up 3000 hours of in game play time?

However, eventually, there is still going to be image degradation due to the blue OLEDs losing brightness much faster than the other OLEDs. For people that replace their TV ever 2-3 years that's unlikely to be a significant problem. For someone like me that expects a TV to last 6-10 years, that's a problem still.

Regards,
SB

Yes, outside of pathologically bad situations (like a PC desktop or HTPC), the burn in/image retention for OLEDs isn't that significant as you're rarely looking at the exact same scene for 1000's of hours at a time.. For normal TV usage I'd get one in a heartbeat. Even with console usage, it's unlikely you'll rack up 1000's of hours of the exact same image components on screen.

How long would it take a dedicated FIFA player to rack up 3000 hours of in game play time?

However, eventually, there is still going to be image degradation due to the blue OLEDs losing brightness much faster than the other OLEDs. For people that replace their TV ever 2-3 years that's unlikely to be a significant problem. For someone like me that expects a TV to last 6-10 years, that's a problem still.

Regards,
SB

Lg oleds actually use color filters over white oleds. So they dont suffer from aging the same way Samsung oleds do, with the blues going first. But that is a legitimate concern for oleds as they get dimmer with use although it's still too new for it to be tested as such.

I personally wouldn't be put off by it tho.

It exists. Therefore it is real. It is not fake. It is not imaginary.
You're being unfair on the choice of language. Snarfbot is countering the negative propaganda surrounding the realities of OLED burn-in. Burn-in exists as a phenomenon, but it is far less pronounced than PR departments are trying to make people think. The 4 week example is pure FUD, a manufactured scenario to try and promote a rival. I for one am pleased Snarfbot brought to my attention the 'fake news' of the original burn-in test. I also applaud RTings for doing some proper, independent research!

So yeah, burn in is a real thing, but it's not as significant a problem as it's made out to be. Similar to plasma I guess where plenty of plasma fans have enjoyed their TV without it exhibiting the worst-case possibilities fear-mongers threw at them. Regardless how he phrased it, Snarfbot's point is that in real use, OLED burn in is very unlikely to impact anyone, although the longer term (years 3, 4, 5+) possibilities aren't proven yet. It probably shouldn't be a significant deciding factor in whether one picks an OLED or not. It should be a moderate factor, given due consideration based on the real impact it'll probably have rather than some worst-case fringe scenarios designed to scare you off buying an OLED.

I read that rtings long term test and somebody in the comments asked whether they think burn in on oled is worse then plasma and the reply was we believe not. I think I agree with snarfbot. I'd be much more interested in knowing how the supposed burn in look showing real content and just a single color. Maybe not a great comparison but if I turn my current tv on, its backlight galore on a full black image but things looks fine watching normal content, even content with lots of black.

I did check out the recommended Sony but that one isn't on sale in Japan.

I read that rtings long term test and somebody in the comments asked whether they think burn in on oled is worse then plasma and the reply was we believe not. I think I agree with snarfbot. I'd be much more interested in knowing how the supposed burn in look showing real content and just a single color. Maybe not a great comparison but if I turn my current tv on, its backlight galore on a full black image but things looks fine watching normal content, even content with lots of black.

I did check out the recommended Sony but that one isn't on sale in Japan.

Curious, while they have the x900e (x9000e in Japan) it doesn't appear they have the x930e. Looks like their top of the line LCD's are limited to the 900 series (9000 in Japan) for 2018 models as well. What's weird is that they had the 930 series back in 2016 (x9300d in Japan).

However, their OLED offerings match what is available in the US. I'm guessing that's due to there being less competitors that have OLED TVs in Japan compared to LCD so they can still charge a premium for their OLED sets.

Fascinating.

Regards,
SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back