Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's so hard about VRR that these compromises are needed? Similarly why can't TVs go as low as single digit sync? I naively imagine it'd be a case of the screen just showing an image until it gets instruction over HDMI to show a new signal, with nothing hard about it.

So what's so hard about VRR that these compromises are needed? Similarly why can't TVs go as low as single digit sync? I naively imagine it'd be a case of the screen just showing an image until it gets instruction over HDMI to show a new signal, with nothing hard about it.

It actually takes a fair amount of processing to make an image look as good as it does on modern LCDs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if not having a consistent framerate breaks, or adds additional pre-processing to, a lot of the current implementations of some of the algorithms and/or fixed function circuits currently being used. I'm sure over time, as displays are designed from the ground up around this feature, these limitations will get resolved.

It actually takes a fair amount of processing to make an image look as good as it does on modern LCDs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if not having a consistent framerate breaks, or adds additional pre-processing to, a lot of the current implementations of some of the algorithms and/or fixed function circuits currently being used. I'm sure over time, as displays are designed from the ground up around this feature, these limitations will get resolved.
i was under the impression that game mode disables most of that processing?

That's the plan, but as with this it's up to each individual hardware implementation.

Yup. VRR being supported in HMDI 2.1 is just that: a standard for relaying a VRR signal from one device to another. I wouldn't expect 4K HDR VRR on budget TVs for a few years and I would be surprised if any of the early implementations support anything below 30Hz.

PC monitors tend to use TN (Twisted Nematic) panels which can have a response time as low as 1ms. IPS (In Plane Switching) and VA (Vertical Alignment) have higher response time with the former readily around 4 ms and the latter at 10 ms. TN tend to have the best response time but poor viewing angles and not as good color reproduction while VA panels tend to have the worst response time but best color reproduction and viewing angles.

To the extent that it's possible to do this without making your high-end LCD look no better than a budget model it does, but there is still *some* processing being done. There are relatively few panel manufacturers making relatively few different panels to support all of the different models of TV from all of the different manufacturers. The differences from model to model are down to the supporting tech bolted on to the panels to enhance their ability to render content and the processing that controls that supporting tech.

PC monitors tend to use TN (Twisted Nematic) panels which can have a response time as low as 1ms. IPS (In Plane Switching) and VA (Vertical Alignment) have higher response time with the former readily around 4 ms and the latter at 10 ms. TN tend to have the best response time but poor viewing angles and not as good color reproduction while VA panels tend to have the worst response time but best color reproduction and viewing angles.
My monitor is VA and 1ms, so the technologies can be pushed in various ways.

TN screens are just awful. They make everything look like it’s running with PS2 colours.

#hyperbole

Yup, just as the earlier previews (in this thread) of MS Xbox FreeSync / FreeSync 2 feature reported some titles work better than others, where the ones that work, they work really well.

To the extent that it's possible to do this without making your high-end LCD look no better than a budget model it does, but there is still *some* processing being done. There are relatively few panel manufacturers making relatively few different panels to support all of the different models of TV from all of the different manufacturers. The differences from model to model are down to the supporting tech bolted on to the panels to enhance their ability to render content and the processing that controls that supporting tech.

Except all that post processing crap doesn't improve image quality. A movie, game or whatever should be displayed 1:1, as it was meant to be shown. Not with a crap load of post processing that was never meant to be added to the image anyway. If it was the director/devs would have done it.

Except all that post processing crap doesn't improve image quality. A movie, game or whatever should be displayed 1:1, as it was meant to be shown. Not with a crap load of post processing that was never meant to be added to the image anyway. If it was the director/devs would have done it.

That's not the type of processing I'm talking about. I'm talking about the TV figuring out how best to work around the inherent limitations of LCD technology to give the most faithful representation of the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back