Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for 4K HDR content.

Netflix and Amazon has some good shows but not in a hurry to watch those in 4K. Sports would be something else.

HBO released UHD Blu Ray discs of Westworld season 1 so if they have a delivery medium, they might not be too far from 4K themselves.

It sounds like you're waiting for specific 4K HDR content as there's tons of 4K HDR content already that's easily accessible.

Also, the same concept I applied to HDMI 2.1-capable sets' proficiency in displaying content that doesn't require that spec also applies to 4K HDR sets. A TV that is proficient at 4K HDR is inherently going to be excellent when displaying normal HD content. My "placeholder" 55" is just OK at HDR due to limited max brightness, but Blu-rays, games and other HD content look absolutely fantastic on it. It's not a bad thing to have a TV that has capabilities that exceed the fidelity of the source material.

I don't see the need for content requiring a certain feature set as a compelling reason to hold off buying a TV that supports that feature set if that TV is also better at displaying content that doesn't require that feature set.

Last edited:
flatpanelshd say that Samsung will be adding Freesync and HDMI 2.1 VRR support to some of their 2018 model year TVs and had a live demonstration at a tech seminar in Milan. This is pretty big news and yet flatpanelshd are the only source I can find for this at the moment, so take with an appropriate dose of salt.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1522745972

Thanks @Jay for 2nd source:

NU8000 @ 49" has a $999 MSRP, BTW.

Last edited:
Vizio's 2018 sets look competitive. Glad to see them back in the game after the LeEco debacle.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...uantum-m-series-pricing-features-release-date

The M-series is a good buy right now, but the input lag is just a tad high :(, used to be around 40ms and even went up to 47 with a recent FW update. That's the main reason the TCL was better than the Vizio M-series last year.

Slickdeals showed Costco had/has the 65" (!) Vizio M-series on sale in recent days for $699 for example. It's Vizio and TCL and that's it on the inexpensive side with decent brightness.

My former 1080P TV was a Vizio and for a non videophile, I loved it. So I would definitely go back to Vizio.

And with AMD FreeSync! It's not clear to me if it's just FS1 or FS2, but I cant imagine any new display would be only support FS1 and not FS2.

Philips "monitor" is just way too large. This is a TV without built-in tuner. I got excited, then started reading. :(

I have no room for such monstrosities; that thing is larger than my actual TV...

The price looks WAY right tho, if I read the article correctly; €800! Wow. That's terrific, with that laundry list of features and great specs. Other than the ludicrous size, this is exactly what I'd want from a monitor!

Hopefully it also has a VESA mount on the back.

2018 TCL 65" looks great so far, going by early tests! Over 800 nits of brightness now, more FALD zones, super low input lag, some sort of supposed self calibration, wider color gamut, $999. Seems significantly better than even last years famous 55" model. Trickling into retail now. Some editor on twitter had deets and it seems to be just fantastic

https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

As of now I personally don't care about the 55" as I have that size TV and I'm not gonna change without upgrading.

I'm sure purists will scoff because it's not a $10,000 TV and has flaws, but for regular people seems great.

For PC, I'd like a 34inch ultradewide OLED. Until then I don't see a reason to upgrade my 3008wfp honestly.

The PQ on PC monitors is just plan bad.

The TCL P617 set is now available through some BestBuy stores and also Amazon.

Here's another review: http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/tcl-6-series-tv-review

Gamers will be happy to know the TCL 6 Series continues the trend of allowing pretty good input lag during 1080p/4K gaming. Even upscaling 1080p content, I measured around 90 ms on HDMI 1 without "Game mode" enabled, and around 60 ms on HDMI 3 (Arc) without "Game mode" enabled.

However, with "Game mode" turned on, HDMI 3 measured around 18 ms via our Leo-Bodnar input lag tester. Unless you're a super serious competitive gamer, you aren't going to have any issues with 18 ms.

However, with "Game mode" turned on, HDMI 3 measured around 18 ms via our Leo-Bodnar input lag tester. Unless you're a super serious competitive gamer, you aren't going to have any issues with 18 ms.
lol
that's a damn fine latency.
if you're a super serious gamer, I'd naturally assume they're looking at free sync 2 monitors in the 120Hz refresh rate.

Hot damn looks like Z9D still reigns supreme in Brightness (real scene, peak level in both HDR and SDR) and Local Dimming. Hard to imagine even the Q9FN is beaten by a two year old model.
The gist of it.
135p7q.jpg

4a140c68-2c23-4c68-b46d-580db525e372

Last edited:
Where and who are those images from? (Why should they matter to us?)

Hot damn looks like Z9D still reigns supreme in Brightness (real scene, peak level in both HDR and SDR) and Local Dimming. Hard to imagine even the Q9FN is beaten by a two year old model
4a140c68-2c23-4c68-b46d-580db525e372

They did improve color gamut, though, and the greater than 19000:1 contrast ratio is fantastic, though apparently the Local Dimming algorithm that achieves this can be over-aggressive at times.

q9fn-local-dimming-large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back