Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy to pay a one time fee like $20 to get DV support. Otherwise, I'll just get an Oppo and be done with it. I'll give it until Christmas as by that time the X1X shouldn't lose much value if I decide to sell it.

I'd be happy to pay a one time fee like $20 to get DV support. Otherwise, I'll just get an Oppo and be done with it. I'll give it until Christmas as by that time the X1X shouldn't lose much value if I decide to sell it.
Probably end up that way anyway since Dolby already charges $15 for their Dolby Atmos Windows 10/Xbox app called Dolby Access. Or maybe they will add DV support to that app?

Tommy McClain

Hats off to LG really. A lot of us have noticed a nice PQ jump with the latest firmware without having impact on calibration. Frankly, LG has put other TV manufacturers to shame when it comes to support and improving the product.

It's important for people to understand that a nicely calibrated TV still can have issues in other areas of video processing and motion. Calibration does not address those areas.

It's nice to have PQ wars in TV land again rather than the gimmick oneupmanship that had taken over the past 5-6 years.

IIRC, that was partially the result of MS Monopoly lawsuits. Though covering cost of license makes sense too, sort of how the BluRay App on xbox consoles is optional download too.

I also remember the IR receiver/remote package you had to buy to unlock the DVD playback functionality on the OG Xbox. I think I still have that somewhere.

Played Gears 4 on my OLED in calibrated mode (f' game mode seriously).

This feels like a bigger generational leap than what we got with the X360 > XB1.

HDR is proper game changer and having the horsepower to run these game at that level of fidelity is just amazing.

I'm looking forward to Assassin's Creed Origins tomorrow which I have no doubt will look even better.

The next Halo is going to be nuts on this thing!

Played few mins of Ninja Gaiden Black and it's a proper wow moment to really such an old game playing so well.

Can you post your tv settings? I will be getting a b7 or c7 sooner or later and would like to see what you feel is best for gaming on it. Thanks.

Can you post your tv settings? I will be getting a b7 or c7 sooner or later and would like to see what you feel is best for gaming on it. Thanks.

Turn off all eco/energy savings first.

SDR Daytime:
-Technicolor mode
- Bump color upto 55-56
- Tint Red 3-4
- Gamma 2.2
- Turn off sharpness
- Everything else off
- Don't mess with 2point or CMS or copy other people's settings as these are for calibration only

SDR Night time:
- Set gamma to 2.4
- Reduce OLED light to your comfort level
- Set dynamic contrast to Low. See how you like it. If not, set it to off. Don't go higher than low

For HDR.
- Technicolor
- Set gamma to 2.4 (should be default but check anyhow)
- Dynamic contrast to Low for "Active HDR"
- Turn off any sharpness
- Edge enhancement ON
- Turn off any noise reduction/etc

Important note: these sets take a few hundred hours to settle. The picture will settle over time and become more pleasant and the panel will even out. From 200-1000 hours, there are more changes to the picture (for the better) but they're smaller in impact than the first 200 hours.

The B7 has a metallic bezel so at night time, it'll reflect light off it. That's the main reason I went with the C7 instead which has a black bezel.

SDR Daytime:
-Technicolor mode
- Bump color upto 55-56
- Tint Red 3-4
- Gamma 2.2
- Turn off sharpness
- Everything else off
- Don't mess with 2point or CMS or copy other people's settings as these are for calibration only

SDR Night time:
- Set gamma to 2.4
- Set dynamic contrast to Low. See how you like it. If not, set it to off. Don't go higher than low

For HDR.
- Technicolor
- Turn off any sharpness
- Edge enhancement ON

Important note: these sets take a few hundred hours to settle. The picture will settle over time and become more pleasant and the panel will even out. From 200-1000 hours, there are more changes to the picture (for the better) but they're smaller in impact than the first 200 hours.

The B7 has a metallic bezel so at night time, it'll reflect light off it. That's the main reason I went with the C7 instead which has a black bezel.

I've read that the C7 still has minor (temporary) image retention issues that go away after a few minutes.

In your experience have you seen this and is it distracting and/or really noticeable?

Regards,
SB

SDR Daytime:
-Technicolor mode
- Bump color upto 55-56
- Tint Red 3-4
- Gamma 2.2
- Turn off sharpness
- Everything else off

SDR Night time:
- Set gamma to 2.4

For HDR.
- Technicolor
- Turn off any sharpness
- Edge enhancement ON

Thanks.

Has anyone read any technical reviews of the 1080p HDR Sony TV's?

I've Googled them a few times out of curiosity, but can't find anything other than Amazon reviews, which are generally along the lines of "pretty good picture quality."

Sony doesn't list any such tv on their website.
Although I know they had a "Production Monitor" that was 1080p HDR a few years ago.
It was $25,000.

Maybe they're UK only, maybe they're not really HDR (like a couple of monitors that have been discussed on these forums,) or maybe they're awesome. I have no idea.

But I do know that when it comes time to upgrade my TV, I care more about HDR than I do about 4K.

Maybe they're UK only, maybe they're not really HDR (like a couple of monitors that have been discussed on these forums,) or maybe they're awesome. I have no idea.

But I do know that when it comes time to upgrade my TV, I care more about HDR than I do about 4K.

I was curious because I care more about hdr than 4k as well. Can't find any specs about peak brightness for HDR, but it doesn't have local dimming which isn't a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back