Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that, when there are 4K 65" TV's with 10bit HDR panels going for ~£1000, there aren't any 24" monitors that meet that same specification for a lower price, when the material cost ought to be about a quarter?

Why is it that, when there are 4K 65" TV's with 10bit HDR panels going for ~£1000, there aren't any 24" monitors that meet that same specification for a lower price, when the material cost ought to be about a quarter?

I think it might be due to a requirement for very slow response times on monitors as opposed to TVs. Not sure to be honest.

I think it might be due to a requirement for very slow response times on monitors as opposed to TVs. Not sure to be honest.
Also I think when it comes to OLED panels there are issues with burn-in that would have to be resolved before it is widely used in monitors...

Either way reading up on the 4K HDR G-Sync monitors from Acer and Asus (which are using the same panel) that are coming next year it seems it may be pretty close to true HDR:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/37.htm#acer_predator_x27

The screen uses Quantum Dot technology to offer a wide colour gamut supporting 99% Adobe RGB and its top-end HDR support is achieved with the help of a 384-zone local dimming zone backlight system for optimal performance. With a 1000 cd/m2 peak brightness it can offer a luminance range several times greater than that of traditional dynamic range monitors.

Truth be told no one in their right mind would want to stare at a 1000 cd/m2 display for a prolonged time. Only if you sit in a carefully calibrated room specifically made for it.

Either way reading up on the 4K HDR G-Sync monitors from Acer and Asus (which are using the same panel) that are coming next year it seems it may be pretty close to true HDR:
Yes, this is what I've been waiting for. Don't care much for the 4K to be honest (it's still rather high rez for today's graphics cards) but the HDR/deep color with local dimming backlight would be sweet. Hopefully 384 zones is sufficient without too much bleed into adjacent pixels. Oh well, you can't have everything... In 5 years, ~1000 zones is probably standard. That's how technology usually rolls; more, betterer, faster. :)

Yes, this is what I've been waiting for. Don't care much for the 4K to be honest (it's still rather high rez for today's graphics cards) but the HDR/deep color with local dimming backlight would be sweet. Hopefully 384 zones is sufficient without too much bleed into adjacent pixels. Oh well, you can't have everything... In 5 years, ~1000 zones is probably standard. That's how technology usually rolls; more, betterer, faster. :)

Going to be pricey though. No official price listed yet but I have seen articles speculating that the Asus model will cost $1500+. Perhaps the Acer model will be a bit less?..

I have seen articles speculating that the Asus model will cost $1500+.
Typical... OTOH, my current monitor is 6+ years already; if one such as this lasts at least that long you could 'virtually amortize' it over the time period, and ta-dah: not so expensive anymore! :D

So I finally watched a couple of UHD BR with HDR 10 movies. Guardians 2 and Mad Max.

On a 65C7 using the Technicolor Expert HDR10 mode from a viewing distance of 8.5ft.

UHD BR is certainly a noticeable step above Netflix/Prime/Youtube as you'd imagine with the higher bit rate. Everything is just a lot more crisp and maintains that level of smoothness and detail in motion due to the higher bit rates.

I also compared UHD BR to 1080P blu ray (both Mad Max) and the difference is quite clear. Everything just looks a lot cleaner. The difference are more obvious in brighter scenes but even in darker scenes there is a greater level of details and depth to picture. There is very much a 3D effect you get as objects have a lot more pop all around.

Overall, I'm very happy to see a proper jump in PQ and technology. It really does feel that BluRay was a half step and this is what the format ultimately should have been.

In a couple of years when I get a 77inch + oled, I think I'll be done with the movie theaters. The PQ is already better, my audio is good and with 77+ the immersion will be up there also. And for the price of 2 tickets, the UHD is cheaper...

And you don't have to worry about some potentially violent tosser chatting away on their mobile, as though their boring little life is more interesting to you than the film you've paid to see.

In a couple of years when I get a 77inch + oled, I think I'll be done with the movie theaters. The PQ is already better, my audio is good and with 77+ the immersion will be up there also. And for the price of 2 tickets, the UHD is cheaper...

The wait though... If it wasn't for that, I'd have mostly stopped going to the movies a long time ago.

Since I don't care about sharing my experiences with others in any manner, the wait isn't relevant.

So I finally watched a couple of UHD BR with HDR 10 movies. Guardians 2 and Mad Max.

On a 65C7 using the Technicolor Expert HDR10 mode from a viewing distance of 8.5ft.

UHD BR is certainly a noticeable step above Netflix/Prime/Youtube as you'd imagine with the higher bit rate. Everything is just a lot more crisp and maintains that level of smoothness and detail in motion due to the higher bit rates.

I also compared UHD BR to 1080P blu ray (both Mad Max) and the difference is quite clear. Everything just looks a lot cleaner. The difference are more obvious in brighter scenes but even in darker scenes there is a greater level of details and depth to picture. There is very much a 3D effect you get as objects have a lot more pop all around.

Overall, I'm very happy to see a proper jump in PQ and technology. It really does feel that BluRay was a half step and this is what the format ultimately should have been.

Which UHD Blu-Ray player do you have?

Also does your AVR process Dolby Vision and UHD HDR?

Since I don't care about sharing my experiences with others in any manner, the wait isn't relevant.

If I'm wanting to see a movie quite badly, I care if I see it tomorrow or six months from now, regardless if I tell you about it :)
But yeah I have different tactic with games nowadays. I can wait for Goty-versions etc.

Which UHD Blu-Ray player do you have?

Also does your AVR process Dolby Vision and UHD HDR?

Borrowed a Sony X800 for a couple of days. Giving it back tomorrow. Waiting on the X1X to come.

None of discs are DV encoded. I'm going straight to the TV and then HDMI to receiver and splitting that way.

Borrowed a Sony X800 for a couple of days. Giving it back tomorrow. Waiting on the X1X to come.

None of discs are DV encoded. I'm going straight to the TV and then HDMI to receiver and splitting that way.

Yeah there are some receivers sold this year which are getting firmware updates to support DV.

I think a year from now the HDR situation will be more settled, with more devices supporting DV out of the box.

Also, there is some hope that LG is on some kind of a tick-tock cycle so their 2018 OLEDs could show a bigger improvement over their previous models.

Yeah there are some receivers sold this year which are getting firmware updates to support DV.

I think a year from now the HDR situation will be more settled, with more devices supporting DV out of the box.

Also, there is some hope that LG is on some kind of a tick-tock cycle so their 2018 OLEDs could show a bigger improvement over their previous models.

The tick-tock cycle seems more made up than anything real. All the new receivers I believe pretty much support DV or will have a firmware coming out. One of the reasons I went with LG was it's supporting all format; HLG, HDR, DV, Technicolor. HDR+ is what LG can do by setting dynamic contrast to Low.

I'm hoping the X1X get a FW update for DV or I'll have to sell it for a standalone player.

I'm hoping the X1X get a FW update for DV or I'll have to sell it for a standalone player.
It doesn't support DV? BOO! :( Well, I wasn't about to buy one right the second it launches, but rather later this year maybe. Still, if it doesn't do DV, there doesn't seem much point in splurging.

It's also a matter of whether they want to pay a licensing fee to Dolby.

Samsung apparently doesn't want to so I don't think their TVs or other AV components support DV.

And back in the day, Microsoft released versions of Windows which wouldn't play DVDs unless you paid for some plus pack that unlocked DVD playback. Presumably the cost of that plus pack covered the cost of the license.

And back in the day, Microsoft released versions of Windows which wouldn't play DVDs unless you paid for some plus pack that unlocked DVD playback. Presumably the cost of that plus pack covered the cost of the license.

IIRC, that was partially the result of MS Monopoly lawsuits. Though covering cost of license makes sense too, sort of how the BluRay App on xbox consoles is optional download too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back