Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AHh thank you, i was looking for the avsforum review, but i couldn't figure out what it's called overseas.
Hmm not sure if i can be ok with the extra lag of the HDR mode, then again 38ms is pretty good to start with.
I think lower than my current/broken Plasma, but 54ms, is a Lot to handle....

Thx for the info....

hmm maybe also d
In my humble opinion, if you're interested in HDR (and you should be!) even just for gaming, do yourself a favour and get a proper set. 300 nits is not HDR.
epends on the room light?

my tv only can goes up to 400-450 nits i think. and its already looks like blinding laser in a few scenes.

From memory the 38ms latency compares favorable with my currently dead Plasma.

Sadly I work in Broadcast/Post industry and i use a Sony BVM-X300 almost every day, so pretty much any display is going to look poor in comparison :(
I'm just hoping to get something that does the job for not too much money.

It gets even worse Shifty! I'm a life long hawks Fan!

Sadly I work in Broadcast/Post industry and i use a Sony BVM-X300 almost every day, so pretty much any display is going to look poor in comparison :(
I'm just hoping to get something that does the job for not too much money.

Sucks when you don't have the option to buy at a time of your choosing. If at all possible, I'd go with a stop-gap solution that is the cheapest tolerable option with the intention of re-selling or re-purposing that and replacing it with a more permanent solution eventually. I believe TVs are going to get really great for really cheap in the next couple of years and features like HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate and all the variants of HDR will get implemented. You don't want to be prevented from buying a set at that time by the investment you make in a TV now. I know this is easier here in the US where brands like Hisense and TCL are aggressively pursuing marketshare and creating brand awareness by dumping feature-filled sets for super cheap on the market (following the Vizio model), but hopefully there are similar options available to you.

Speculation is that LG is on a tick-tock cycle, so 2018 could bring some substantial improvements, like perhaps a more competitive nits.

Yeah i would love to be able to go for a samsung KS8000 model, but they are about twice the price here in Au. :(
Not sure i can get the wife to accept that..

So far it seems like KS8000 is the popular standard. But they run about 1k here. Not extreme but I'd rather stay closer to $700 or even $500. Which mostly puts me in the realm of Vizio's here in North America. Which seem to basically offer FALD and sometimes other superior features to the KS8000, but are not as bright. And also there's a certain cachet to Samsung or Sony that Vizio doesn't offer, or a feeling like it's a good brand.

The strong point of the KS8000 seems to be extreme brightness capability. Like monster brightness. But OTOH it does not have FALD like most of the Vizio's. But it does have "local dimming" whatever that may entail on an edge lit, I'm not sure, except that it's not as good as FALD.

Also I guess somehow the KS8000 is now something like last years model even though it seems readily available in stores. Not sure what's going on there either. Worse, whatever new Samsung came out with seems to offer less value or name recognition.

Honestly when I was in Best Buy my mind was pretty blown by a Sony display with two TV's side by side. Dont know the models, and I'm sure everything was calibrated artificially to wow, but still. I'd love to be able to replicate something like that or close to it. Actual Sony's seem way too pricey though. But I am wondering if it would take something like the KS8000 to replicate that blown away feeling.

Apparently the new TCL's are intriguing, they are promising a ton on paper (such as 72 local dimming zones) for very low prices (such as $500 for the 55" model i believe). Still we are really waiting on reviews and they dont come out for a few weeks. Most likely I'm not expecting too much as there's rarely a free lunch, but it would be cool. Even if the reviews come through, I might still have concerns about the build quality, longevity etc vs a brand like Samsung or even Vizio.

The vizio E-series (bottom tier series) is interesting. They run very cheap, easily $500 and less with discounts for the 55", are of course 4k, and can do HDR now (recent firmware upgrade). Of course, they are very dim comparatively to other HDR sets. It's tempting, considering I could likely sell my current HDTV for 200 and do an upgrade for peanuts AKA $300. All told I dont think it's wise though, as I'm sure by fall some crazy sets will be super cheap and I'll be kicking myself in a few months if I went that route. But it's something that's cheap and easily available everywhere for a great price right now, so it is kind of tempting.

Edit: I realize a lot of this forum is in Europe where apparently Vizio doesn't sell, but the 2017 Vizio M Series is on Target.com now for just $699 (MSRP $999). Looking like will be my pick, pending reviews.

Last edited:
Samsung KS is excellent, but no info if it will support HLG. So for future proof HLG is essential

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

So far it seems like KS8000 is the popular standard. But they run about 1k here. Not extreme but I'd rather stay closer to $700 or even $500. Which mostly puts me in the realm of Vizio's here in North America. Which seem to basically offer FALD and sometimes other superior features to the KS8000, but are not as bright. And also there's a certain cachet to Samsung or Sony that Vizio doesn't offer, or a feeling like it's a good brand.

The strong point of the KS8000 seems to be extreme brightness capability. Like monster brightness. But OTOH it does not have FALD like most of the Vizio's. But it does have "local dimming" whatever that may entail on an edge lit, I'm not sure, except that it's not as good as FALD.

Also I guess somehow the KS8000 is now something like last years model even though it seems readily available in stores. Not sure what's going on there either. Worse, whatever new Samsung came out with seems to offer less value or name recognition.

Honestly when I was in Best Buy my mind was pretty blown by a Sony display with two TV's side by side. Dont know the models, and I'm sure everything was calibrated artificially to wow, but still. I'd love to be able to replicate something like that or close to it. Actual Sony's seem way too pricey though. But I am wondering if it would take something like the KS8000 to replicate that blown away feeling.

Apparently the new TCL's are intriguing, they are promising a ton on paper (such as 72 local dimming zones) for very low prices (such as $500 for the 55" model i believe). Still we are really waiting on reviews and they dont come out for a few weeks. Most likely I'm not expecting too much as there's rarely a free lunch, but it would be cool. Even if the reviews come through, I might still have concerns about the build quality, longevity etc vs a brand like Samsung or even Vizio.

The vizio E-series (bottom tier series) is interesting. They run very cheap, easily $500 and less with discounts for the 55", are of course 4k, and can do HDR now (recent firmware upgrade). Of course, they are very dim comparatively to other HDR sets. It's tempting, considering I could likely sell my current HDTV for 200 and do an upgrade for peanuts AKA $300. All told I dont think it's wise though, as I'm sure by fall some crazy sets will be super cheap and I'll be kicking myself in a few months if I went that route. But it's something that's cheap and easily available everywhere for a great price right now, so it is kind of tempting.

Edit: I realize a lot of this forum is in Europe where apparently Vizio doesn't sell, but the 2017 Vizio M Series is on Target.com now for just $699 (MSRP $999). Looking like will be my pick, pending reviews.

That TV has 4 HDMI ports and only *1* of them is HDMI 2.0. In *2017*. I really hope you don't allow your affinity for the Vizio brand to influence you to buy a TV that seems less like it was developed and more like it was cobbled together from spare parts. Vizio has a great track record and would be a solid choice in almost any other year, but they whiffed hard on this particular product cycle and there will almost certainly be better choices from other manufacturers at similar price points.

In 2017 who needs more than 1 HDMI 2.x port on their primary display when they should also be using an AVR?

In 2017 who needs more than 1 HDMI 2.x port on their primary display when they should also be using an AVR?

People who use soundbars...like the OP.

Anyway, that isn't the disease, it's just a symptom. The disease is trying to sell the equivalent of your hours-old McNuggets in a new package and presenting it as new. At least they're being honest with the P-series for 2017. "Yeah..We got nothing. We're just going to keep selling the old one."

Last edited:
The 2017 Vizio M series was supposedly last years P series at a lower price. That's great? Also I believe the brightness was kicked up to 600 nits, at least according to one article. Should be plenty for me.

Add that it's being sold at $699 at 55" and I'm poor, seems like by far the best option! The other options seem to be a "brand" like Samsung or LG at that price range, but they seem to perform worse and have fewer features. Or spend something like 1K, which I almost surely wont, and the only good option there seems the KS8000 which is discontinued, and anyways I'm not sure is as good as the vizios (extreme brightness, but no FALD)

Of course, it's all pending reviews. At least one guy on AVS already has one in his possession, but I dont think he's commented yet.

I have no idea the specs for things like brightness on my Vizio 1080P, they're probably terrible compared to any 4k, but last night playing Gears 4 on it, I love it and think it looks amazing. Of course I'm not a videophile.

One wise comment I remember from my friend about TV's was something like "it doesn't matter what you buy, even if it looks worse than the others in the store, once you get it at home it will look fantastic" or something. Sorry but that's joe six pack view on TV's and is it that far from wrong? I bought my parents a TCL 1080P bargain basement a few years ago and they think it's the bees knees.

That said of course I'm somewhat technically minded and want to ensure I get all the bells and whistles to my satisfaction.

What's the deal about one HDMI 2.0 port btw? Why is that important?

I do use a soundbar but not sure what HDMI has to do with it, I run the optical cable from my Xbox One to it. Everything goes through my Xbox One, use the streaming apps from it (although I do not really watch any besides occasional Sling TV), and then I got the antenna adapter/tuner http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hauppau...ffcode=pg129313&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2 to get OTA stations. This works for me since I'm a cord cutter and the OTA antenna is for getting NFL games free OTA and say the occasional local weather. I absolutely adore this setup, I never need to switch HDMI inputs.

Edit: HDMI 2.0 supports 4k/60? I mean I guess that's necessary for Scorpio...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back