Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Apr 29, 2017.

1. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Spec-wise the 2017 TCL P-series will be better for cheaper. The actual performance remains to be seen, of course, especially things like input lag.

The 2017 Vizio's are singularly unimpressive, though. I think the proposed purchase by LeEco (that has since fallen through) really screwed up their product development this cycle.

2. Rangers

Legend

The 2017 M series seems good like I said. The P series didn't change for example, but the M series is now 2016's P series which is a big upgrade. Particularly in the brightness which was the prior downfall.

Yeah you could get a lower end Samsung or something for a similar price, but it seems to me like Vizio typically offers a better value. I dont think the low end Samsungs have things like FALD. It also helps I've had good experiences with Vizio, my current TV and soundbar are Vizio.

Brightness cite: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/28/vizio-m-series/

It seems to have all the bells and whistles. As well as solid input lag figures of course.

https://www.vizio.com/audio/home-theater/sb3651e6.html

This seems cool as well, wireless 5.1 soundbar for 250.

I had a wired Samsung HTIB 5.1, but the wires annoyed me too much (even though I had the wireless accessory for the rear speakers, there were still tons of wires going around) so I ditched it for a basic Vizio soundbar/wireless subwoofer 2.1 combo. Love it. For the first few days I did notice it did not sound as good as the Samsung, but that pretty quickly wore off and overall I love it. I was doing some remodeling and I put up the soundbar a while ago, I literally couldn't stand gaming without it. I had to put it back immediately. It's also nice since they're both Vizio branded it integrates seamlessly, such as the TV volume remote automatically controls the soundbar volume without me doing anything.

The subwoofer that comes with that wireless 5.1 though is likely in the same class as the one I already have though, so the improvement wouldn't be noticeable enough to be worth the expense probably.

The ultimate upgrade would be new bigger TV+new/bigger sound system/Scorpio all at once. However the sound system part very well may not happen as it's probably not worth the improvement/price ratio. In addition I'll be very likely locked to the same 55" size I have now, as prices seem to increase drastically beyond that.

#22 Rangers, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    BadTB25 likes this.
  3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I've been waiting for Dolby Atmos in games for a while. I swear I'm not rich, but I'm just waiting for delivery of the new Sony Atmos soundbar that's meant to arrive this month. So far I can only get Atmos through movies, but the magic is in games. Here's hoping Sony follows suit and enables it for PS4 games.

DSoup, RancidLunchmeat and BRiT like this.
  4. BadTB25

Veteran

Understood that, but was wondering if PS4 has the headroom being that it is the same CPU as X1, but clocked lower.
    Or does PS4 have specialized hardware that can enable this as well?

5. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

PS4/Pro have the AMD TrueAudio DSP.

6. tuna

Veteran

If you have a sound bar, will it make any difference to current 5.1 sound?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

7. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

I had a 5.1 system I got rid of a while ago when I refurbished my flat. It wasn't great to begin with. These new soundbars seem to be quite good if you have the right shape of room where sound can bounce off side walls, which I seem to have.
    This one I ordered is a supposed 7.1.2 (the extra 2 being the height channels which bounce off the ceiling).
    Will I get perfect rear channels surround? We'll see.
    But as far as centre/sides/height, it should be pretty good. Yamaha and Samsung managed to do it. And the sub is a beast.

8. Davros

Legend

Is it used in anything (it's used on the p.c in thief 4 and some other game and was disappointing)

9. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

I thought the deal with Atmos was that you would have ceiling mounted down firing speakers for better staging?

10. Davros

Legend

No, upward firing speakers
    Attaching speakers to the ceiling isnt easy

RancidLunchmeat likes this.
  11. Johnglen

Newcomer

I bought a 55" Samsung ks8000 in January and for me it is simply perfect. I can see myself settling with this tv for decades, I have zero complaints about it. After doing some calibration the picture quality is breathtaking in everything, games, sports, movies. Great use of hdr esp. in games. I would recommend it to everyone looking for a great affordable 4k solution for his new Scorpio/pro .

Rangers likes this.
  12. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

If you have exposed beams it is, though. :cool2:

13. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

You can have it both ways.

14. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

Atmos with sound bars is like HDR with edge lit LCD TV's...

15. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

That's very arguable. Especially with the more expensive sound bars. It's not even a cost thing. Most of us simply cannot install speakers on the ceiling.

16. turkey

Regular Newcomer

I think Atmos makes sense given its object based it no longer relies on fixed speaker placement, although the more speakers the better. Beam forming and reflection work well enough,

I hear the Samsung Atmos soundbar works well, will be interesting to see how this Sony holds up and if and when it get DTS support (and a price drop ;) )

17. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Maybe I need to go buy one of those sound bars if they really are that good :) Kind of tired with all these boxes anyway...

18. wco81

Legend

It's just wrong for you Euros to buy speakers designed in the Far East. Speakers are the one area of consumer electronics that's still better designed in the UK and Europe.

19. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Heh, unfortunately there's nothin g coming out of Europe that ticked all my boxes.

20. vjPiedPiper

Newcomer

My old LG plasma died over the weekend, so i'm suddenly looking for a new TV.
    Currently i'm thinking about a HiSense M7000uwg 55"
    Most of the content i consume comes via the PS4, either games, netflix of played via plex.
    and i watch a fair bit of sport - Aussie rules football via the FTA, it's 1080iHD.

anyone got any thoughts / comments?

bunge likes this.