Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony 43XD8005 is the only one that fits the bill, but it is being phased out in many markets. It's successor from XE80xx series is much worse [bad IPS screen].

Yep, it´s a shame that both Sony and Samsung are regressing from the 2016 models, just hoping that the 2018 pack all the improvements, 10 bit panels, WCG, higher nits, and HDMI 2.1

Yep, it´s a shame that both Sony and Samsung are regressing from the 2016 models, just hoping that the 2018 pack all the improvements, 10 bit panels, WCG, higher nits, and HDMI 2.1
Sony definitely didn't regress from 2016. They had FALD then and never abandoned it, in fact they even released an amazing OLED in the meantime.
Samsung choose to go full-on alternative facts with "QLED" and only launched edge lit displays all the way to the top of the range. And sold them at top of the range prices. They're mad.

Sony definitely didn't regress from 2016. They had FALD then and never abandoned it, in fact they even released an amazing OLED in the meantime.
Samsung choose to go full-on alternative facts with "QLED" and only launched edge lit displays all the way to the top of the range. And sold them at top of the range prices. They're mad.

Lol no, sorry for the confusion.
I was referencing just the 40-43´ range (The middle-peasant range)

There are some significant improvements with the new Samsung tvs, so it's a pros and cons thing with them.

There are some significant improvements with the new Samsung tvs, so it's a pros and cons thing with them.
But those advantages (colour volume from the quantum dot film) would have been amplified even more if the screen had any other backlight tech than edge. They had FALD before, there's no denying that edge lit is pure crap compared to any FALD solution. So it's a shame that the improvements in colour have to come together with the usual problems that come with a shit backlight solution.

Yeah some are skeptical that about Samsung QLED, sees is as nothing more than hype to cover up the fact that they have no alternative to OLED.

Sony and others can buy OLED panels from LG and put their processing on them.

Samsung can't do the same because LG is their main rival.

Yeah some are skeptical that about Samsung QLED, sees is as nothing more than hype to cover up the fact that they have no alternative to OLED.

They sell OLED screens to Apple. They sell hardware to pretty much every other hardware company out there. I'm sure they buy components too, from 'competitors'. Everyone does. So I don't think buying components from LG would be such a huge issue. If anything, I thought they don't want to get into OLED because they have invested a lot in the quantum dot tech, which is meant to be evolving into 'real' self-emissive QLED in the next few years.

But those advantages (colour volume from the quantum dot film) would have been amplified even more if the screen had any other backlight tech than edge. They had FALD before, there's no denying that edge lit is pure crap compared to any FALD solution. So it's a shame that the improvements in colour have to come together with the usual problems that come with a shit backlight solution.

Maybe they went with aesthetics. Now you have to trade off between thinness and FALD. A lot of "average consumers" wont notice FALD but will notice/prefer a much thinner TV.

Really? I kind of thought LG/Samsung were almost like two sides of the same, gigantic, quasi-governmental, Korean coin. LG doesn't ever seem to be serious competition to Samsung, more like Samsung 2, buy LG if you dont buy Samsung for some reason. Didn't know there was an actual rivalry.

Samsung is staggeringly big, one time I was reading about the biggest building, the Burj Khalifa tower, built by....Samsung. I also read recently they surpassed Intel for title of world largest chipmaker. I am also surprised they do no make their own OLED's since they seem to own the manufacturing for pretty much everything else.

OT, I've had a mixed relationship with Samsung products. They can produce some real clunkers, seemingly early on. My first real smartphone was a Galaxy S 1, and it was terrible. The bluetooth and GPS both essentially didn't work. Similarly I had a Samsung Blu Ray player my brother got free with a TV, back when Blu Ray players were expensive, he had no use for it and gave it to me, it was just awful, extremely slow and eventually got bricked during a firmware update, which a google search revealed to be a common problem. OTOH with each iteration they improved leaps and bounds. By my Galaxy S3, everything actually worked! Now I have a S6 Edge+ I got for a killer off contract sale (399) about a year ago, and even though it's two gen's old it's still pretty much fantastic and I feel almost no envy for newer smartphones. In phones, Samsung is notorious for feature bloat, and that's definitely a valid criticism. OTOH they tend to produce extremely cutting edge hi-tech, in the phone case of course the ridiculously pretty OLED's they put out. It's interesting to me how in the Android world it has almost become Samsung is your only real high end choice of dependable quality and cutting edge engineering, with a minor side of LG. So it's like Apple:iOS or Samsung:Android are you choices. It didn't used to be that way.

I think Samsung is being cheap for not using FALD. But in terms of QLED instead of OLED, I think that choice is being dictated by the race up the luminance ladder. Samsung Q series and Sony Z9D because of their brightness resolves details in highlights better than OLED. The 9500 won a shootout last year over OLED because of it. The Samsung was the only TV that could resolve highlight details in a scene master with a 4000 nit display.

Once 8K goes commercial, TCG (tall color gamut) will follow. So get ready for "Full" or "Ultra HDR" as the color gamut will expand upwards (and downwards) as the idealized 10K nit reference displays will be able to display saturated colors at much higher and lower level of luminance than current technology (you know they going to use something other than just 8K to sell these newer higher resolution TVs).

The brighter the TV the more readily it will be able to take advantage of TCG. I guess TV manufacturers will work towards wider colors at lower luminance. But I don't think it's as marketable as brightness. You don't really see them doing it now as WCG already expands color at lower luminance (which OLEDs take better advantage of) but the market seems fixated on 1k, 4k and 10k nits.

Q9s supposedly are already at a max luminance of 2000 nits. And is probably why Sony hasn't completely moved to OLEDs and have one of the brightest TVs on the market with the Z9D.

Still no excuse for not using FALD. It's the one glaring issue (I mean that literally) that's the biggest chink in Samsung's armor.

Last edited:
Sony is not regressing. Their 2017 lineup is much better than that of 2016.... if we ignore that entry XE80 line where they messed up the contrast.

X900E, X930E, X940E and A1E are all great.

I'm currently thinking of getting 49XE9005 when the price goes down to ~1000e in my region.

Maybe they went with aesthetics. Now you have to trade off between thinness and FALD. A lot of "average consumers" wont notice FALD but will notice/prefer a much thinner TV.

Average consumers buying the top of the line 9500/9800 would definitely know how FALD works. It's just silly to release a set in the same line, a year later, that has an edge backlight, and pushing even more brightness than before.

If they're rich and want thin/style, they'd get an OLED, not a bloody Sammy :mrgreen:

Maybe they are like you and already have a nice high end sound bar/setup. Some might not appreciate the separate or intergrated soundbars/port boxes on the high end models under those circumstances.

LOL!

That being said, I'd pick a OLED over a QLED at the same size and price any day. But by Christmas and next spring those Q7/8/9s will probably be half the price of comparable OLEDs and Sonys.

Maybe that's Samsung's strategy. Charge a premium for early adopters who are brand loyalists. But for the frugal and patient, offer QLEDs as the equivalent of scratch and dents opportunities near holidays and EOL. Obvious flaws but excellent prices for overall quality.

Best Buy has sales on the Q series now ranging from $800-$2000. I guess those price cuts are easier for Samsung to swallow if they are not incurring the cost of FALD.

Sony is not regressing. Their 2017 lineup is much better than that of 2016.... if we ignore that entry XE80 line where they messed up the contrast.

X900E, X930E, X940E and A1E are all great.

I'm currently thinking of getting 49XE9005 when the price goes down to ~1000e in my region.

I was talking in the range that I can fit in my wall, 40/43´ max

I paid more than 1000€ for a 26´panasonic 10 years ago, it´s not even even FullHD, this is not funny, progress they say :confused: :LOL:

Samsung definitely seems to have screwed up for 2017. There was tons of talk about the KS8000, but they have no equivalent at all in 2017. Terrible. Imagine if they had come out with a 2017 KS8000 equivalent and even cut the price a couple hundred bucks, as technology marches on and drives cost down. They'd be doing tons of business.

That said, about Sony, they have nothing that has crossed my radar. Prices are just way too high. For the prices I'm looking at 55" TCL, Vizio, or even the occasional Samsung/LG, I'd have to settle for 43-49" Sony IIRC. That's a non starter, sitting ten feet away no way I'm taking a cut in screen size.

Samsung or LG does cross my radar now and again even though I'm mainly looking at TCL/Vizio, a couple days ago the KS 6300 was on sale at Best Buy for 499. 55", Samsung name. No FALD, and "only" 400-450 brightness. But still, I know Samsung makes quality stuff, and they're like Wal Mart, you generally know so many people buy their products the kinks are probably going to be worked out.

That's usually the trade, given a price point, you can get a Samsung or LG with lesser specs and get the better brand, or get a TCL or Vizio, better specs but lesser brand.

I'm not too worked up about FALD TBH. I know a reviewer mentioned about the TCL 607, which doesn't have FALD in game mode, that you cannot tell the difference that much and it still looks great in game mode anyway. That's the way I feel it would be for me. No FALD in game mode on the TCL is not a dealbreaker for me. Also there's always the possibility they patch it in later.

I was having an issue with my LeEco where it was doing a subtle strobing effect, noticeable on Destiny menus. That was just cementing my decision to return it. However for other reasons I switched the HDMI input the Xbox was plugged in the other day, and it's fine now. I never thought about it but I'm guessing if it wasn't the input itself, the HDMI probably just wasn't plugged in all the way. With that out of the way I'm a lot happier with it as a placeholder again. If I can get a good price for my old set, I will likely just keep it until I find the real next gen set, whenever that may be.

I did have another issue, I bough John Wick UHD Blue Ray (wanted to see it, was on sale $15, and wanted to check out my set with full bitrate 4k/HDR). Terrible movie BTW. But anyways for whatever reason HDR wont kick in. I can tell because the TV still says it's in game mode rather than HDR mode during the movie. Movie looks great though, I honestly couldn't tell you if it was HDR or not just by looking. So I guess some combination of the Xbox S and the Tv has a bug somewhere there.

HDR Netflix and HDR Xbox games still kick in HDR fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back