Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers

Legend
It's starting to congeal in my mind that while not a done deal, I might well pick up a 4K/HDR set this fall along with Scorpio. And I'm sure a lot of people want one for Pro.

Currently I have a 55" Vizio 1080P that I've been very happy with. I think I paid a net of like $350 or something crazy with all the holiday sales and discounts I was able to get a couple of year ago.

The trick here is also getting low input latency for games. And for me I am looking for something cheap, not necessarily most top of the line! Vizio has served me very well in the past and has a good reputation for quality at a low price, although their acquisition by a Chinese company a couple years ago somewhat concerns me on the quality front, it seems so far they have kept a good reputation.

Personally I would like to go at least 55". because you cant get a new TV that's smaller than your last! Although the drawback is apparently larger screens decrease twitch multiplayer performance (since your eyes have to scan more screen to react). I think I can accept that tradeoff.

Well I did cursory research and RIGHT NOW it seems the 2016 Vizio M series is the way to go, based on Cnet review. 55" model runs $699 (should be well cheaper around holidays). Apparently has all the HDR stuff. Low input lag, although on HDMi 5 input lag is lowest but this input does not do HDR I believe, The complexity of this HDR stuff is just stupid. The input lag on the other HDMI inputs was around 43ms I believe, which still is not bad.

But people evidently had high hopes for the 2017 Vizio line, and from little I could gather it was a letdown. Just the same sets again at a higher price basically, or something like that.

Another issue though is it seems OLED is beginning to come into it's own, yet is still quite expensive. I worry about picking up a set in late 2017, only to feel like I "need" an OLED which will continue to fall in price, shortly after.

Hopefully this thread doesn't already exist. But people can put in any TV-for-gaming related thoughts, findings, good deals, recommendations, whatever. I need all the help I can get as well understanding HDR basics although I can do that research on my own...For starters it was said the Vizio M series lacks "deep color" or something like that, I am unsure what that means and if I should care, not being a videophile.

I hope for the right OLED deal but I won't make any compromises. I had luck with my long term TV purchase and still use a PV60 Panasonic from 2006 as I saw no real need to update. In that time others probably updated their TV 3-5 times:)

Vizio M's HDR performance is not that good actually. Unfortunately very low budget and good HDR is still hard to find. Vizio P is better, but not great either. Last years Samsung SUHD TV's could still be found cheap and are pretty good for the prize. This year their Q-series is very expensive and the MU-series is worse than last years KS-series. Sony makes good HDR-TV's but the good ones are quite expensive. I'm super happy for getting my 2016 Samsung 55" KS8000 (9000 in US) for 999€

Last edited:
I'm considering a Sony KD-55XE9305 which looks like an high-end 4K HDR model from last year and is cheaper.
The samsung models are curved screens right ? I'd like to avoid them.
Where did you get a Samsung KS8000 for 999€ only ?

I'm sure you guys would consider it slumming but I'm still pretty fixated on the Vizio's. The 55" E series is supposedly decent and I can get one for 499!

Weirdly it started life as a non HDR TV, then they implemented HDR10 on it like 2 months ago via firmware update...

Somebody said it wont play Netflix (or other) streaming HDR though, it will only activate HDR if a PS4, Xbox One S, or HDR capable Blu Ray player is attached. At least, I think for the 2016 E series that just got HDR support in February 2017 via a firmware update...

The 2017 E series I'm gathering is just the 2016 E series models, with updated HDR firmware, and now being advertised as HDR capable. I am not sure if they have the weird PS4/Xbox S/Blu Ray only restriction. I would guess no. Or it might just be some temporary thing that will be firmwared out or already has been.

Also the M series isn't much more, can be found 55" for 699 and supports Dolby Vision. M series might be a better buy, I dont know.

It looks sadly like, to upgrade even 5" to a 60", will cost me quite a bit more, as prices increase rapidly with size. I sure would like to go bigger for that "wow" factor.

Anyways now I'm just wanting to buy one now when I dont even have a One S, let alone Scorpio! I should just wait as I'm sure prices and features will only get better, much better in holiday.

Scorpio+new Tv at the same time will maximize that all important initial wow factor ...

I dunno about how they would be on a HDTV, but my brother got a curved screen monitor and it's frickin awesome. Adds a lot of wow factor. But they are more pricey, of course.

The best time to buy a TV is from the two weeks prior to Black Friday through Black Friday/Cyber Monday and in the Spring when new models become available and last year's models get sold at closeout pricing.

Go with whatever is the best bang-for-buck option at that time and don't get too hung up on brand. With resources like rtings.com and hdtvtest.co.uk it's pretty easy to make an informed decision.

Also, a TV supporting a Wide Color Gamut is absolutely something you should prioritize. Like HDR, it is something that is an obvious improvement that you don't need to be a videophile to spot.

I'm considering a Sony KD-55XE9305 which looks like an high-end 4K HDR model from last year and is cheaper.
Where did you get a Samsung KS8000 for 999€ only ?

Best Buy has the 55" KS800 for $999 right now. $849 and $799 if you want to take a chance on open box. LOL

Best Buy has the 55" KS800 for $999 right now. $849 and $799 if you want to take a chance on open box. LOL

US model 8000 is 7000 over here in Europe, although the difference might be marginal...

I got mine from a special sale week of a large chain retailer/etailer here in Finland. They had different deals on different days. I managed to get the last unit. It's the lowest price I've seen for this model anywhere at any time before or after. :) It's not perfect by any means, but a good mid range solution imo.

US model 8000 is 7000 over here in Europe, although the difference might be marginal...

I got mine from a special sale week of a large chain retailer/etailer here in Finland. They had different deals on different days. I managed to get the last unit. It's the lowest price I've seen for this model anywhere at any time before or after. :) It's not perfect by any means, but a good mid range solution imo.

Yeah, new models usually start appearing around this time so u can probably find some good deals on 2016 models.

Agree with Samsung KS. From what I saw at the showroom and reading on rtings, it's one of the best at low price.

I hope for the right OLED deal but I won't make any compromises. I had luck with my long term TV purchase and still use a PV60 Panasonic from 2006 as I saw no real need to update. In that time others probably updated their TV 3-5 times:)
good point. I updated just once, in 2007 I got this HD Ready Samsung TV which I gave to my mother and she has it in her room and then in 2013 I got a Full HD TV when Xbox One came out.

This thread is just meant for TVs or could we also talk about monitors?

Anything less than a Fald is not ideal for HDR as edge lit just inundate you with blooming and light bleed especially in a dark room with dark scenes, and then for proper HDR you need to meet at least 1000 nits peak brightness, Wide color gamut with over 95% DCI P3 performance, so in the end you really want a set that's at least $2000 to properly showcase your Scorpio. The only non Fald edge lit that's worthy is Samsung's Q9 but that itself is $6000. Don't go Oled tho, as awesome as the infinite contrast and pure black are, it is dragged down by its paltry 700 nits brightness, ABL, APL, burning, and of course high price.
But if you really don't wanna spend a few grands on Fald then the minimum I would suggest are Samsung KS 8000, Q8 or Sony 930D, 930E. Anything less is not good for long term investment or proper HDR experience.

Sony:
X800D/X800E - entry level 4K HDR models with 10bit panel and ~400nits HDR
X900E is FALD. It's quite good for it's price
X930E is edge lit, but it can create localized zones that are better than many FALD TVs
X940E is a 75"-only beast, it has latest processing module and will support Dolby Vision
A1 - Sony's first big OLED
Z9D - Sony's flagship

All these are great for 4K HDR console gaming [but A1 has issues with 1080p gaming, since scaler introduces a lot of lag [no problems with 4K gaming]].

Last edited:
Btw does sony priced their TVs unusually higher than competition in your country?

Here, they usually around 50-100-200 more expensive than LG, Samsung, sharp

Their warranty is also the shortest and cover less stuff.

Btw does sony priced their TVs unusually higher than competition in your country?

Here, they usually around 50-100-200 more expensive than LG, Samsung, sharp

Their warranty is also the shortest and cover less stuff.

Even in the US Sony is generally higher priced than those other brands.

Looks kinda like the Samsung KS8000 (55") is the way to go. Over 1000 nits of brightness. I mean not perfect, but seems closest to those high end displays at a non astronomical price.

I think it was on sale at Best Buy for 999 a few days ago. Although normal price seems more like 1300. Edit: It's still actually on sale for 999 right now.

So for poor ol me the choice would probably be a cheapo Vizio or that.

Tough to say, hopefully way better deals come along by the fall when I'm ready to purchase.

Last edited:
For that price, you can't go wrong.

My ZD9 is absolutely spectacular in 4K HDR, and on SDR too, considering, but wasn't exactly cheap.

Last edited:
New opinion, for poor people like me the Vizio M series 2017 seems to be the way to go. Apparently it's basically the 2016 P series just moved down a notch in price.

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m55e0.html

I read somewhere about 600 nits brightness which is way better than the 2016 m series. Has FALD and all that stuff I believe. Seems the way to go for me probably.

Basically I think just wait for the price to fall. I'm assuming the 55" will be down to $500-$700 on discount by the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back