Best 4K HDR AVR (Audio Video Receivers) for One X, 4 Pro?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 22, 2017.

1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

That's what happened on ALL my Onkyos, that's when I switched to Denon. Been solid and stable since then (*touch wood*).

After a bit more reading I came across what @mrcorbo summarized for us, that nothing fully HDMI 2.1 in 2019 with the only hope of the flagship AVR 8500 being upgradeable through likely expensive board replacement in 2020. Everyone else seems to be on a MidYear 2020 timeframe for HDMI 2.1 delivery.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-where-all-hdmi-2-1-avrs.html#/topics/3061882

2. wco81

Legend

CE industry is so slow.

2020 may be a big year, should have more 2.1 devices.

Apple TV is due for an update this fall. No guarantee they will update it but it's been every two years. Be interesting how quickly they will integrate HDMI 2.1. Supposedly since their streaming service is suppose to launch, you would think they'd release a new streaming device.

3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I would honestly delay any purchase for an HDMI 2.1 until the very end, as you just know that prices in this market move a lot more slowly than TVs.

Also, just thinking about this, but with HDMI 2.1 you could technically connect, say, a PS5 directly to the TV, and then the TV to the AVR, as you wouldn’t lose anything quality-wise. As long as the AVR has eARC (my relatively old-ish one just got an update for that) you’ll be fine.

I think?

BRiT likes this.
  4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Correct. eARC should help a lot with receivers becoming obsolete every time a new HDMI standard is adopted. Then it just becomes about the audio standards evolving and whether any audio evolution is worth upgrading for.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  5. wco81

Legend

Main advantage of HDMI 2.1 in AVRs is if there are higher bandwidth content being streamed I guess.

Like some 8K content becomes widely available or HFR content.

And you want the AVR to be the control center for switching between such content.

I still haven't gone 4K yet and I don't know if I'd bother connecting a UHD HDR TV to my network. The other day, Samsung advised running virus scanners on their TVs.

BRiT likes this.
  6. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Pretty much, it seems to me. Only problem I can see is maybe not having enough HDMI inputs on the TV. If I end up with Scarlett, PS5, an AVR and my PC connected to the TV, what happens if I want to also connect a future Chromecast/Roku/<insert streaming box here> down the road? Needing 5 HDMI inputs is going to limit your choices.

7. Pressure

Veteran Regular

The AVR should have plenty and only take up one from the TV though.

8. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Pretty sure you missed the context this was being posted in. I was referring to the potential to have a not full HDMI 2.1 spec-compliant receiver continue to be used with a full HDMI 2.1 spec TV and source devices by connecting the source devices directly to the TV and then passing through the audio to the receiver via eARC.

BRiT and London-boy like this.
  9. wco81

Legend

You also have to be wary about the first HDMI 2.1 devices meeting full bandwidth spec and also having multiple 2.1 ports instead of just one or two 2.1 ports and older versions just to cut cost.

BRiT likes this.
  10. tuna

Veteran

In theory you should only need to connect the HDMI 2.1 devices directly to the TV. Other devices you could connect to the receiver.

11. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Sure, but theoretically all those devices that I listed could be HDMI 2.1 eventually.

12. tuna

Veteran

What benefit would an AVR have of full HDMI 2.1?

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Plenty of features of HDMI 2.1 to be used by an AVR:
    • Variable Refresh Rate
    • Auto Low Latency
    • Dynamic HDR
    • 4K 120Hz
    • Quick Frame Transport
    • eARC

Only some of those features are being pulled into HDMI 2.0b models.

Malo likes this.
  14. tuna

Veteran

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but what is an AVR?

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Audio/Video Receiver. I still find that acronym awkward but it's gained popularity now that home theater receivers handle both audio and video.

Regards,
    SB

16. tuna

Veteran

Then it is not really applicable to the device list mrcorbo gave....

17. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Sure it is. Those devices plug into the AVR. Then the AVR plugs into TV. That is the most common setup before eARC, otherwise your audio quality is negatively impacted. They're all connected.

18. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Start at post 103 and work your way forward. It makes sense, I promise.

19. tuna

Veteran

In the context of "things to plug in to your HDMI 2.1 TV vs things to plug in to your HDMI 2.0+eARC capable AVR/receiver" listing an AVR is kind of pointless, don't you think?

I thought the AVR mentioned was some kind of recording device.

20. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

The discussion went like this.
    1. BRiT asked if any receivers were confirmed with full HDMI 2.1 support.
    2. London-boy said that maybe this isn't a big deal as long as the receiver supports eARC as this would allow you to connect your video devices to the TV directly and then pass the audio along to the receiver over an HDMI connection between the two with no loss of quality.
    3. I agreed, with the caveat that if you have enough devices you may end up being limited by the number of HDMI inputs on the TV and proceeded to list a plausible configuration, for a gaming enthusiast, that would require a TV with 5 HDMI inputs to service if your setup is configured this way. Best Buy has 213 4K TVs listed for sale on their website, of those, 7 have 5 HDMI inputs.
    Get it now?

#120 mrcorbo, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    London-boy and BRiT like this.