Benefits(?) of HDMI vs Component in the high-def consoles

-tkf-

Legend
and HDMI only appeals to a niche.

HDMI is the interface of the future, if your console is gonna last 5 years and your not thinking about getting a new TV (and it wont breakdown), reciever or whatever in those 5 years cool.

HDMI is one of those "future proof" things that sell stuff, "and here we have the 1337 360, it features HDMI which is the standard for all new TV´s today and in the future, and you will need it for the new sound formats".

And on a sidenote, HDMI is fantastic compared to the old school component,Scart RGB etc. I got a 10 meter cable for 50$, it takes up no space compared to the old shit and it supports 1080p over that lenght as well.. nice nice

HDMI is the interface of the future, if your console is gonna last 5 years and your not thinking about getting a new TV (and it wont breakdown), reciever or whatever in those 5 years cool.

HDMI is one of those "future proof" things that sell stuff, "and here we have the 1337 360, it features HDMI which is the standard for all new TV´s today and in the future, and you will need it for the new sound formats".

And on a sidenote, HDMI is fantastic compared to the old school component,Scart RGB etc. I got a 10 meter cable for 50$, it takes up no space compared to the old shit and it supports 1080p over that lenght as well.. nice nice

Come off it. How many HDMI enabled televisions don't have component input?

Conversely, how many HD (720p or 1080i) sets don't have HDMI inputs?

Come off it. How many HDMI enabled televisions don't have component input?

Conversely, how many HD (720p or 1080i) sets don't have HDMI inputs?

Nope i will not come off it, component sucks, it´s expensive, old tech, cumbersome, and it doesn´t support 1080p (not rly). Hopefully it will die soon, i´m sure component will move to an option instead of being included in the future. And the sets that don´t support HDMI is either old or suck.

Nope i will not come off it, component sucks, it´s expensive, old tech, cumbersome, and it doesn´t support 1080p (not rly). Hopefully it will die soon, i´m sure component will move to an option instead of being included in the future. And the sets that don´t support HDMI is either old or suck.

Component supports 1080p. Yes, really.

Component supports 1080p. Yes, really.
it does, but most 1080p sets don't support 1080p over component.

i do prefer HDMI/DVI over component, as i find the picture to be cleaner and slightly sharper. i've compared using various devices, like my upconverting DVD player, my LCD monitor and my ps3. i've compared the ps3 and my upconverting dvd player on 2 of my HDTV's too, both with the same result.

this is irrelevant, but HDCP prevents HD resolutions through component as well. this does not affect games, though; only HD movies that are HDCP protected.

it does, but most 1080p sets don't support 1080p over component..
But a vast majority of the ones that support native 1080p over HDMI do support 1080p over component. Theres no point in sending 1080p to anything but a native 1080p set anyway.

this is irrelevant, but HDCP prevents HD resolutions through component as well. this does not affect games, though; only HD movies that are HDCP protected.

Which at this point amounts to upconverted DVDs. HD Cable TV and Optical HD discs all pass through component in HD format.

But a vast majority of the ones that support native 1080p over HDMI do support 1080p over component. Theres no point in sending 1080p to anything but a native 1080p set anyway.
actually, no. as far as iknow, and from what i've heard/read, most 1080p sets only support 1080p through HDMI, DVI or VGA. unless you can provide some kind of proof. if you can, well, we learn something new every day. :D

and why not send a 1080p native set something other than 1080p? it will upconvert internally, but you don't have to send a 1080p native set a 1080p signal. it will most likely support 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i as well. i don't really know what you meant by that.
expletive said:
Which at this point amounts to upconverted DVDs. HD Cable TV and Optical HD discs all pass through component in HD format.
any HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie that uses ICT will downconvert to 960x540 when in use with component. in order to play in full HD, you will need an HDCP compliant set, as well as an HDCP compliant connection (HDMI/DVI).

Last edited by a moderator:
But not over 30fps, right?
Over 30fps not in the ATSC standard for 1080p

actually, no afaik. unless you can provide some proof some how. if you can, well, we learn something new every day.

any HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie that uses ICT will downconvert to 960x540 when in use with component. in order to play in full HD, you will need an HDCP compliant set, as well as an HDCP compliant connection (HDMI/DVI).

Right, but now we are getting into murky territory again. Are these videogame systems or movie players? As an average game consumer, as long as my games do 1080p over component (assume I have a set the supports it) I am happy. IMO, if the AACS hack hasn't been fixed by the time ICT is turned on, piracy will become just that much more pervasive.

Right, but now we are getting into murky territory again. Are these videogame systems or movie players? As an average game consumer, as long as my games do 1080p over component (assume I have a set the supports it) I am happy. IMO, if the AACS hack hasn't been fixed by the time ICT is turned on, piracy will become just that much more pervasive.
well, i did say it was irrelevant. just letting people know, for those who care. :smile:

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/5421/untitled23gy2.jpg

Is this proof? To be honest I'm not 100% sure but I have heard from a number of people that 1080p on component is not a problem, other than for that stupid, awful, damned frustrating copy protection. Bleh.
this isn't necessarily proof, and if you were attempting to prove me wrong, well, this is just one set. it doesn't say whether its 1920x1080i or p. 1080i and p are the same resolution, but one is interlaced, and the other is progressive.

but really, i think we should get back on topic, and i apologize for steering this thread in a different direction.

Is this proof? To be honest I'm not 100% sure but I have heard from a number of people that 1080p on component is not a problem, other than for that stupid, awful, damned frustrating copy protection. Bleh.

No, that's a video. Video is never 60fps. So this is a 1080i/60 signal, not progressive, unless maybe the 360 (is this a 360?) upscaled it. But on the 360 also, you can't do 1080p/60 over Component, right? You need VGA for that ...

The point is not that 1080p/60 isn't in any TV standards, but that some games support 1080p/60 already (GT:HD, Tekken 5 : DR, etc.) and as far as I know this doesn't work over component. That was all I was referring to.

This is not proof that every set out there with Component in supports 1080p. Component is just not as "future proof" as HDMI is. You still need the HDMI for advanced sound codecs, you still need it for whenever the copyprotection stupidty strikes, and it gives a better picture and will last longer.

This is not proof that every set out there with Component in supports 1080p. Component is just not as "future proof" as HDMI is. You still need the HDMI for advanced sound codecs, you still need it for whenever the copyprotection stupidty strikes, and it gives a better picture and will last longer.

I never claimed that it did. I responded to Arwin's query as to whether or not 1080p at 60 frames over component is possible, which you said it "didn't really support".

FYI I actually do have a 1080p set with both HDMI and component input.

I actually asked you how many existing HD sets have HDMI inputs, and you didn't answer. An estimate of HD sets with HDMI vs component will suffice. Thanks.

Such a strong reaction to something that works perfectly fine for the majority of users. Can you clarify the following:

1) it sucks
2) it's expensive
3) it doesn't support 1080p

Though I'm most interested in your thinking behind #1.

I do :cry:

Honestly, I'm not sure how else you can stream video except on either a or n. Some may find success at g, but I think that'd be the exception, not the rule.

REally I think it depends on the type of video. My 2003 server can feed my laptops (latops are wireless, server is wired) anime and mid to lower bitrate stuff just fine. Once I get into HD level stuff I start to notice it having a hard time keeping up. But I think I am hitting a transmission cap by then.

Am I disapointed that the Elite isn't limited edition (so I can sell my Chill)? Yes. Am I going to stress over it? No. Especially with reports of Sony planning on releasing a newer unit with a larger hard disk floating about. We all had to see it comming.

What I think is silly though is the price of the damn upgrade drive for the 360. Yes I understand the idea of getting profit on the addons, but geez why would I want to pay over 30% of the consoles price for a hard drive? (somewhat poor argument since I have the HD-DVD drive) One of my friends said that someone will figure out what firmware the new drives have and make it possible for any 120 gig drive to be used. He was saying that you can put a larger drive in the system now, but it would only recognise the first 20 gig.

Such a strong reaction to something that works perfectly fine for the majority of users. Can you clarify the following:

1) it sucks
2) it's expensive
3) it doesn't support 1080p

Though I'm most interested in your thinking behind #1.

It works fine for me as well, but compared to the ease of use and features that HDMI holds it sucks, sucks may be a to strong word, sorry about that, it inhales.

Yes i use component as well, yes i have used it for the past 4 years, yes i know 1080p is supported on some TV´s and from some devices. But HDMI is just plain better and holds a future.

Again sorry about the sucks.. it was to strong

Back