Beautiful widescreen desktop background collections?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Grall, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The background images delivered with recent windows OS releases are all of very high quality, but there's not very many of them. I wonder if any of you know of some awesome free collections suitable for widescreen monitors, preferably stuff that isn't just nature imagery of striking vistas. I like the architecture pictures from win7 for example, that's cool stuff.

Thanks! :D

2. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

I know you said you didn't want natural vistas, but I find the imagery from Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter to be beautifully abstract and makes a nice desktop wallpaper. It also has the "what the hell is that, is that real?" impact factor whenever someone looks over your shoulder. Why, yes, yes it is real.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/multimedia/latest-images_archive_1.html
    http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/multimedia/images/

(Obviously I'm not referring to the photos in that collection of teh grinning planetary geology nerds high-fiving each other!).

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

4. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

MacDesktops.com is a pain to wade through and it's hit or miss, but there are some nice ones.

5. sham63

Newcomer

I don't know if you have done this, but you can unlock more themes in Windows 7. I did this after I upgraded ti Win 7 on my desktop. I bought a cheapie emachine laptop and it had a lot more themes to unlock than my desktop. Follow the link and try it.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/guides/2009/11/unlock-hidden-windows-7-themes.ars

6. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I built a Win7 theme around the Large Hadron Collider, using a bunch of 2mp+ high-res pics from a few Flickr accounts I found of employees.

7. woundingchaney

Regular