Battlefield 4

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
It is I, Dresden. The resident B3D Battlefield aficionado.

While this thread may be a little premature, seeing as little knowledge of the next Battlefield installment has officially been divulged, outside of guaranteed beta access to MoH: Warfighter players, I wanted to create a thread that would be separate from my BF3 thread, for when information eventually does trickle in. So until that day officially arrives, I wanted to incite conversation regarding speculation, technical inquiries and so forth. Personally, I'd love it if DICE continued the trend of creating a new engine for each new title. A new Frostbite engine for the fourth installment would be incredible. Something I've always wanted to see in the Battlefield series was real time weather effects and a day/night cycle. Grand Bazaar had rain, which looked great. The Special Forces expansion for BF2 had a night map where players utilized night vision, which was also really fun. I think it would be neat to be playing a map where all of a sudden it transitioned to night. Or heavy rain or snow.

Also, one of my few gripes with BF3 was only two factions. BF2, including the expansions had something like six. It would also be nice to feature a game mode where more than two factions were at odds, which would probably result in higher player caps, like maybe 128. Battlefield maps are only getting larger and larger with each game, so I welcome the idea of larger server capacities. DICE has been pretty proficient at establishing intriguing new game modes, so I trust that some interesting new ones are on the horizon.

So what does the B3D community expect/anticipate/want to see with the next installment?

In hardcore modus, teamkill should be avoided by the "reflect damage" strategy of Call of Duty. Other than that, not much to complain...oh, yeah...get rid of the bugs!!

AFAIK it does not support 32bit OSes. I wonder what they'll do with all the extra RAM they'll have access to.

DICE seems to strike the perfect balance between taking advantage of new hardware and techniques while keeping the minimum requirement low enough for most gamers.

I'd like to see better destruction in BF4. The ability to take out buildings felt degraded in BF3, though I suppose BFBC2 only had simple structures by comparison.

Dear Repi et al.

-Overhaul the spawn system in hardcore, spawn at all squad members is needed for teamplay

-More vehicles available in MP mode if the map is large, if afraid cause of balance, at least give us quads everywhere, such that one can fast travel

-If I want to spawn, and my buddy dies in this second, or we just lose this flag in this second...DON'T automatically spawn me in the base, let me chose again.

-Weapon gadget unlocks not only with kills, but with points in general while holding it (at least make assists and surpressions Count). So, lots of people turn it into deathmatch mode

-delete your complete netcode and build a bew one from scratch. There is inherent fundamental online lag in this game. Even my ping says 10, there is often so much lag that it makes me cry like a little douche bag full of pink unicorns...my most favorite: i jump behind cover while under fire, and a second after I am safe behind my cover, I still feel the bullets hit me, hit me, hit me...dead. Technically the game is genius, except the netcode...

- in hardcore mode: completely change the teamkill mechanism. People teamkill all the time, because in this game it has no consequence, especially TK for vehicle (because there are not enough, see my other point!). Solution: just reflect the damage! Tk means insta own death, so that people learn and be more careful. Oh and don't shit around shit with servers that allow punish...that is the lamedt thing in the world!

- completely redo spawning system. It is fundamentally broken. Only thing that helps: the very large maps. Most obvious in CQ, where about 40% of the spawns are catastrophic (small map exaggerated the flaws and clearly showed them). Example: I just try to capture a flag, sitting in cover...enemy directly spawns behind me such that I can see his weapon through me...insta death. Happend in Death Valley, happens all the time in CQ (and other side to, how often did I spawn right behind a poor enemy).

- point system is very good. But for Conquest (Large) mode, increase points for flag capture, at least by a factor of two, better would be three. Flag points in CQ with fast flags are perfect.

- SOFLAM is still somehow broken and inconsistent. Sometimes I get points, sometimes I don't (without an obvious difference in performed action)

That's it for the first part,
Billy

PS: most of this can be improved in BF3 as well :)

Please fix the shadow flickering on long distance objects. I can't snipe because of that. Looks too ugly.

Um, is that your wish or do you know something we don't?

Just a wish, and I don't think Dice would do anything like that because the franchise is mainly about iterative improvements. It could be cool though, and it might solve the SP problem Dice has right now, if it is a problem. The single player game is the main basis on which the game is marketed and reviewed, even though nobody sane would really buy the game for SP. So if they took the campaign online, they would have a unique selling point without sacrificing the event scripting / tech demo qualities that make for good marketing and review material.

And it could be fun. Imagine say a fort full of AI, being sieged by squads of human players. Squad A does spotting / overwatch for squad B who must sneak in and sabotage something or other so squad C can drive / fly / charge in, all while squad D is keeping them busy at the gates. If any squad screws up than the objectives of the other squads change accordingly.

Oh hell yeah it would be fun, and IMO impossibly difficult for DICE to do right without spending years developing the concept and gameplay mechanics and technology to pull it off.

- No more lame ass special melee kills that leave you vulnerable and at the behest of a stupid animation "connecting" and taking place. It needs to be like BF2 knifing. Fast, furious, and highly skill based requiring you to aim and actual hit the enemy. Not some cheap free kill. Fucking hate the melee in BF3 so much.

- Fix the rock hit boxes. I don't know how many times I've been on top of a rock, aiming just over it's edge, and it's still "hitting" the rock.

- Get rid of the "easy spotting" system that lights anyone up like a Christmas tree while cluttering the HUD and possibly your view of that target, which brings up my next point.....

- Declutter the HUD in general and give us the option to decide how opaque the on screen symbology is. The symbology blocking ones view at far distances drives me batshit.

- The de-bipoding of a gun when you're being suppressed. Bullshit, plain and simple, especially when your hits on a standing or crouching sniper trying to hit you do not destabilize him what so ever.

- Quit amalgamating the classes, and separate them out in order to make them properly significant in teamplay, and make the customization per class more in-line with each class.

- Real squad system and VOIP just like BF2 and 2142. Spawn only on squad lead. I'm fine with the squad beacon as long as it means the squad member has to parachute in.

- No more lame ass special melee kills that leave you vulnerable and at the behest of a stupid animation "connecting" and taking place. It needs to be like BF2 knifing. Fast, furious, and highly skill based requiring you to aim and actual hit the enemy. Not some cheap free kill. Fucking hate the melee in BF3 so much.

- Fix the rock hit boxes. I don't know how many times I've been on top of a rock, aiming just over it's edge, and it's still "hitting" the rock.

- Get rid of the "easy spotting" system that lights anyone up like a Christmas tree while cluttering the HUD and possibly your view of that target, which brings up my next point.....

- Declutter the HUD in general and give us the option to decide how opaque the on screen symbology is. The symbology blocking ones view at far distances drives me batshit.

- The de-bipoding of a gun when you're being suppressed. Bullshit, plain and simple, especially when your hits on a standing or crouching sniper trying to hit you do not destabilize him what so ever.

- Quit amalgamating the classes, and separate them out in order to make them properly significant in teamplay, and make the customization per class more in-line with each class.

- Real squad system and VOIP just like BF2 and 2142. Spawn only on squad lead. I'm fine with the squad beacon as long as it means the squad member has to parachute in.

Spawn only on squad lead will destroy the game imo.
I am playing often with friends, not spawning at each others position and playing together is a fun killer. When you play alone, you are dependent on your squad leader...good luck when it is a fucking camper who sits the whole half our at the same spot...often in such a way that spawing is not even possible.

Spawning only at squad leader...no.

BF3 version looks to be far more realistic. What you're asking for sounds like Counterstrike style running around knife frenzy which would seem very out of place in Battlefield.

All I really want is more destruction. Having vehicles break apart and deform when they explode would be cool, especially if the explosions damaged terrain, other vehicles and buildings. Like, if a tank blew up and a big chunk of it went flying and smashed through a wall. That would be awesome. Honestly, the visuals are already good enough. Just push more and more physics!

Give us the option for an Arma sized game, then it would be automatically one of the best games of all times. If they allowed for scalability. Just some fucking scalability. I also wish for a third party in government.

All I really want is more destruction. Having vehicles break apart and deform when they explode would be cool, especially if the explosions damaged terrain, other vehicles and buildings. Like, if a tank blew up and a big chunk of it went flying and smashed through a wall. That would be awesome. Honestly, the visuals are already good enough. Just push more and more physics!

Yeah,this!!!

Back