BattleField 2 - Great Game - Great Features

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, Mar 17, 2005.

1. fallguy

Veteran

BF+DC has been one of my fav games over the last several years. However, getting it to run in WS is a nightmare. One of the few games like that.

BF2 better have native WS support!!!

Because the "save the girl", or "save the world from aliens" isnt far, far more done?

2. jb

jb
    Veteran

Fully agree as it was a lot of fun!!!

Well at least the aliens/girls change from time to time. With the war games its always the same sides.. :) :)

3. philoni

Newcomer

You just described natural selection

4. BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
    Veteran

I just got this game a couple of days ago...and it fricken rocks!!!!!!!

Profession of choice? Sniper. Oh man I love playing as the fricken sniper...especially when theres another sniper in the area. I actually was laying on the ground looking for another sniper in the area (was protecting a base). I waited for him/her to pop out....I didn't move at all (since any movement, even laying down, can be seen clearly)...then he/she suddenly popped up right beside me....they couldn't even see me (I was laying down, he/she was sneaking around)...I waited till his/her back was full facing me...and I got up and knifed the bastard.

This game has alot of potential to create memorable (in game) moments. Like one point I was in a tower (marsh level) and just helping out my squad take the base by getting headshots on some punks with rocket launchers.

This is a VERY good game.

EDIT: I'm currently setting up a standalone server on my fileserver at home. Its going to act as my BattleField 2 LAN Server :eek: . Have of my friends and cousins bring in their laptops and where good to go (I also found out how to set up Battlefield 2 on a LAN with one copy of BF2 :twisted:.

#24 BlueTsunami, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  5. Solzhenitsyn

Newcomer

maybe if they make the sniper rifles more accurate in the patch id consider using them again. sadly, as it stands now they are the most inaccurate weapons in the game, they just happen to have the best zoom. you can have a guy dead in your sights, not moving, and fire at him 10 times and you might only hit him 3 times because of the built-in dispersion of those guns.

you can easily get a lot of great and memorable kills with those guns, but you will also get times where you spot a guy crawling around, completely oblivious to your presence and you fire at him and miss, then again, and again, and again, and he spots you and takes you out with his more accurate m-16 or ak

its also very satisfying to zap someone, then after respawning and having figured out where you are he tries to come up on your six and dies to your claymore.

6. BlueTsunami

Veteran

I haven't even been using claymores yet. I can't wait to really start syncing with this class and yeah..the accuracy sucks badly. I was getting frustrated yesterday when I was (seemingly) getting perfect headshots off of my enemies...and yet where still alive...then they would fire back and kill me. EA really should do something about that.

I love going up in high places and just snipeing...its the most fun i've had in a game in a LONG time and this is the first online game that i've enjoyed thouroghly. I'm completley satisfied with this game [​IMG]

7. D3v0ur3r

Regular

Actually the accuracy doesn't seem to be the real problem. Try this site if you would like to know more. http://bf2issues.digitalsoftware.se/?id=42

8. Solzhenitsyn

Newcomer

yeah the rifles are very frustrating. at least be reassured that its not necessarily your fault you are missing.

http://matt.carter.name/blog/2005/08/bf2-weapon-damage-accuracy-comparison.html

look at the chart here. The "minimum deviation" i.e. how far bullets tend to stray from where you are actually aiming for a weapon like the m-16 (when prone) is a 1.3 the ak47s have a 1.45 the sniper rifles however have a 5.0 this is why perfect headshots completely miss

Claymores are very tricky to use properly.

First of all, be prepared to take some teamkills. It dosent matter how obvious the place you put it is, or if its easily visible and out in the open, or even if you repeatedly warn your team over the chat channels where youve put them, they are going to frag themselves. its as inveitable as a medic reviving you when you have no ammo.

hopefully the patch either makes them more obvious to teammates. ive seen some people suggest changing the color of the "skull and crossbones" icon for AT mines, C4 to something different for each type. or at least they should make TKs less onerous when they are accidents.

Don't put them in your own flag bases. someone will invariably spawn next to it and die. its not really safe to leave them in enemy bases either. thats always when someone on your own team shows up, kills all the enemies present and then sets it off while capping the flag.

the best spot for clamores is atop the ladder you used to get to a nice spot, even if its right behind you. or if you are tucked away in some grass or a clump of trees, i usually place them both behind me facing slightly outwards at about a 45 degree angle.

#28 Solzhenitsyn, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  9. Doomtrooper

Veteran

The game is really in need of some optimizing though, really 2ghz of ram is a must to play this game smoothly even with a 256 meg graphic card

10. fallguy

Veteran

Sadly, they didnt include WS support. How sad.

Umm...

If you mean ram, then thats not true either. It plays very smoothly on 1.5gigs. Even 1gig if you dont have the res cranked up, and the details up as well. Ram is cheap. If you want to game smoothly, it doesnt cost a lot to upgrade.

11. Doomtrooper

Veteran

A little on the rediculous side IMO, 1 ghz barely gets you buy. I don't need a lecture, spent countless hours trying to improve the gameplay on many 1-1.5 gig of ram powered machines.

Even at 1 GIG ?? You do realize how much RAM 1 gig is and add another 256 of texture memory on the cards, wasn't that long ago when 512 was enough !

12. fallguy

Veteran

Its hard to even take you seriously, when you keep using "Ghz" as a ram size measurement...

Its not a lecture, its a simple fact. 1.5gigs provides very smooth frames. And you can get smooth frames with 1gig, if you lower the settings. Especially if you consider the average users software runing in the background. People generally have many things running taking up ram, in the background. Reducing those, helps out a lot.

Whats your point about 512 used to be enough? Guess what, a P4 1.6gig "used to be enough". One day, 4gigs of ram will be standard, and then even more. Ram is cheap right now, upgrade or reduce your settings to get smooth gameplay. Simple as that. There isnt another game (imo) that looks as good as BF2, and has as big of maps to even compare performance with. So its a moot "point" you're trying to make.

13. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Bahhh a typo after a long days work, and who are you ?? [​IMG]

We are talking about computers with X800 or 6800 powered video cards...people don't pay $500 to lower video settings, RAM is not cheap here in Canada. One gig of quality RAM will set you back $250. Couple that with the cost of a new graphic card which alot of these computers just got and you are talking alot of money to play a game.

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/battlefield_2_optimization_guide/

My point is there is many games on the market that uses large outdoor enviroments that don't require 2 gigs of RAM PLUS modern graphic cards with 256 megs onboard for textures to play smooth. Games like Farcry and Half-life and Guild Wars don't require it and IMO the game could be optimized more, being a EA title has quality issues written all over it. i.e the most recent patch had to be pulled as it broke more than it fixed !

#34 Doomtrooper, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  15. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Doomtroopers point stands: The game needs to be optimized. Neeging 1.5-2GB of memory in addition to a 256MB GPU is rediculous.I have a 6800GT and 1GB of DDR400 and have had to turn down texture detail to prevent the hitching. Multiple reviews/optimization guides have noticed this as well.

So Doomtrooper may be using the wrong word, his point about optimization is solid.

16. BlueTsunami

Veteran

Yep, people have already stated that EA should have waited a little longer in releasing this game and optimize it. There are little things in the game also, that would have benifited from waiting a little longer. Nonetheless I think its a solid game....and holy crap, the fricken airplanes in these games are rediculous. Its so hard to fly with a standard keyboard!...i'm afraid to even attempt it while online...

17. fallguy

Veteran

A typo in two different posts.. Who am I? Someone who knows the difference from Ghz and Gigs...

You're really over stating the ram price. Its not near $250 for 1gig of good ram. Crucial ships to CA you know...

BF2 doesnt require (no matter how many times you say it) 2gigs of ram, and a 256meg video card. You can get the game to run smoothly with 1gig and a 128meg card. Which was the whole point of my first post towards you. You said it needs 2gigs (ghz) of ram, and 256meg video card. Which is a flat out lie.

Could the game be optimized to run better? Sure, I suspest most could. Tribes has just as large maps, and can be played well with 128megs of system ram. What does that tell us? There are other factors that factor into how much ram is needed, than just the size of the map.

The simple fact is, you dont need 2gigs of ram, or a 256meg card to play the game smoothly. If you are on a lower system, you should expect to lower settings. Simple as that.

#37 fallguy, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  18. BlueTsunami

Veteran

My PC Specs

• AMD Athlon XP (Socket A) 2200+ | 1.7GHz 200MHz FSB
      1.5GB |1GB PC2700 x 512MB PC2700
      XFX 6600GT 128MB DDR3

I can currently play the game at all medium settings at 1024x768 @ 70Hz. I get a smooth framerate with some hiccups (when it gets extremley hectic..IE: A black hawk crashes while a tank shoots off a round and I get a dissorientation effect).

19. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

fallguy your out of line.. the game needs atleast 2gigs to play smooth at the high res i play at. Of course i could play at 800/600 but why would I do that with a 21in CRT? The game is in bad shape for resourses... no ands ifs or buts about it. Teh WHY would anybody but a noob use 1.5gigs? You dont like dualchannel? I do, there is a very real diff to how snappy a OS runs. Other than the daily increase of cheaters this last week the game is still a love hate relationship for me. Can only hope 1.3 patch is a good one. Oh i play at 1600/1200 max all, 6aa in MP and goof of at 2048/1536 in SP. i would use the 1920/1440 in MP but you cant see the team colors very well. There are many many bugs still.

20. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Listen fallguy, I've been working on computers since the early 80's, I owned my computer store. Have been a member of this forum since the original Dave Barren days and do have plenty of PC knowledge, and really don't need lectures. If your happy dishing out money for a poorly coded game then all the power to YOU. There is not multiple online optimization guides on the net claiming 2 gig of ram is required for nothing, I linked one !!

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/battlefield_2_optimization_guide/page6.asp

I have logged the system memory usage @ 1024 x 768 and it is well over 1 ghz with medium settings.
    As for memory prices, crucial is not used in any of these machines..all Corsair or Mushkin Dual channel....do your homework.
    When you putting your kids through school, then tell me about measly $250 surprises when playing video games.

Have a nice day.