Battle of Middle Earth II Screens (X360)

expletive

Veteran
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1390/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Battle-for-MiddleEarth-II/p1/

I think this could go either way, depending on how it looks in motion...

1137180056.jpg

Decent reflections on this one...
1138222212.jpg

I read this game's not out until 07, so I dunno how much these shots actually represent the final product(not that they're bad).

I'm much more concerned about gameplay than graphics. EA has acceptable to great graphics in nearly every title, so I'm not really worried about that. Control, however, is another issue.

I think one thing HD resolution may bring to the console world is the ability to bring these types of games to it with the level of detail required for having lots of little creatures on the screen at once.

Agreed on the odd reflections, didnt notice that on first glance.

Using a controler :???: , dont know if will have a good gameplay, at least nearly from the PC, meybe they could add voice comands.

Anyway it is great if we start to see RTS in consoles.

Alstrong said:
There have been RTS's on consoles before...

but how have they done?

I just can't see a controller being adequate for a good rts, I'd think they'd have to dumb things down too much.

have you ever used the little red stick in the middle of the ibm notebooks.
to me it is a pretty decent "mous". an anolog stick on the gamepad should be just as good.

i hate first person shooters on consoles..... but a rpg should work.
but there will be the option to use mouse and keyboard on the consoles anyway.

booomups said:
have you ever used the little red stick in the middle of the ibm notebooks.
to me it is a pretty decent "mous". an anolog stick on the gamepad should be just as good.

i hate first person shooters on consoles..... but a rpg should work.
but there will be the option to use mouse and keyboard on the consoles anyway.

its not about the lack of a pointing device for an rts (although that point stick sucks for gaming), its about the lack of buttons.

I use more than a dozen hotkeys for every rts I play.

If there was ever an RTS that was suitable for consoles, it would be BFME.

BFME's controls were laughably easy and I imagine BFME2's are probably even more tuned to work on a console. It should work pretty well.

AlphaWolf said:
but how have they done?

I just can't see a controller being adequate for a good rts, I'd think they'd have to dumb things down too much.

crappy of course ;)

I was responding to "Anyway it is great if we start to see RTS in consoles."

AlphaWolf said:
but how have they done?

Starcraft on N64 was ok with the analog stick...although the game itself was pretty slow.

so.. how many keys are there on the new gamepads..... 4 or 6 on the back, 4 or 6 on the right side 0-2 in the middle, 2 analog sticks... one is used for pointing, that leaves one.... 4-8 directions, the digital arrows on the left, thats 4 more.

that makes 16-26 different keys.

should be enough.

booomups said:
so.. how many keys are there on the new gamepads..... 4 or 6 on the back, 4 or 6 on the right side 0-2 in the middle, 2 analog sticks... one is used for pointing, that leaves one.... 4-8 directions, the digital arrows on the left, thats 4 more.

that makes 16-26 different keys.

should be enough.

There are 8 buttons on the xbox360 controller, (4 buttons, 2 triggers, 2 shoulder buttons), a d-pad and 2 analog sticks.

how do you get 26 out of that?

You are going to try and use the D pad in each direction as a different hotkey? or an analog stick? I don't see that working really well.

The analog sticks are buttons themselves (Xbox/Xbox360). In total, those controllers have 14 "game" buttons plus start and select and the two analog directional sticks.

If the D-pad were used for hotkeys, I imagine the best would be as a hierarchy. e.g. UP=basic, DN=advanced, then pick one of four in the basic or advanced branches etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alstrong said:
crappy of course ;)

I was responding to "Anyway it is great if we start to see RTS in consoles."

Correction:
Anyway it is great if we start to see playable RTS from PCs in consoles (or more PC like).

Back