Batman PhysX on Radeons

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Sound_Card, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sound_Card

Regular

http://rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336007626&postcount=44

I expect a game patch with in a month...:razz:

2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Does making the ini file read-only not work :?:

3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Interesting!

4. suryad

Veteran

Great! And a nice find too.

5. Sound_Card

Regular

I don't have the game... yet...

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Whoa, that has to be the most convoluted workaround of all time. Why do you think they'll patch the game SC?

7. almighty

Banned

What's the performance hit?

8. Sound_Card

Regular

MSAA only on NV cards, TWITMTBP title might lead to it. I guess it depends on how popular it gets. Perhaps historic presidents.

Apparently no where near as much as CPU PhysX. Gothic claiming never below 30fps.

#8 Sound_Card, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009
  9. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

I very much doubt it. Just reading the steps to get it to work looks like a headache to me. How many people do you honestly believe will go through all the trouble?

Either way. Radeon GPU PhysX? Sounds good to me.

10. madyasiwi

Newcomer

Hardly "on Radeons". :smile:

I don't have the game/demo too, but I assume the original value for maxPhysicsSubsteps is 5. Changing this to 1 means reducing physics calculation up to 5 times less often, hence the FPS gain on CPU PhysX.

Physics typically calculated on a fixed time step basis, usually 60 steps per second, regardless of the actual frame rate. So -- for example -- if the FPS is only 10, the physics engine need to iterate 6 sub-steps perframe to keep the physics animation in sync with real-world timing. The amount of this sub-step iterations need to be limited to avoid the problem where physics calculation time (per step/iteration) is longer than the frame time. This is the 'maxPhysicsSubsteps' is all about.

The effect of cutting off the maximum sub-steps would be a physics animation that appear (moving) too slow.

11. Davros

Legend

so its crashing because of the securom ?
    wouldnt a nocd fix that problem ?

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

So the net effect is running on the CPU but only with 1/5th of the workload? Hmmmm.....

13. Scali

Regular

Sounds likely. The only way you would get PhysX to actually run on Radeons is to have either a complete PhysX implementation for ATi Stream, or have some kind of translator from nVidia's PTX instructions to ATi's instructionset.
    In which case you wouldn't have to bother hacking all sorts of suspicious ini file settings, and the fix would work for any PhysX game. So it doesn't seem like they have either.

Sounds a bit like the 3DMark Vantage thing they had a while ago. They claimed it 'ran on Radeon', but nobody has actually seen any binary or even a video or screenshots of the actual physics part running on Radeon. Sounded to me like they just created a dummy PhysX library, which made sure that 3DMark Vantage would run and produce a score, but wouldn't actually produce good results, let alone use the Radeon to do the calculations.

14. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Sounds entirely plausible. Lighter PhysX loads have always been possible in the PhysX library. And its easily controlled.

15. Davros

Legend

Chris since your here (on another thread you talked about nv + aa) what are the ideal settings for aa in the control panel

ps: the settings page (when you have only show games installed on this computer ticked) takes over a minute to load the first time its opened

pps: sorry about the ot...

16. Novum

Regular

I don't think this allows PhysX to run on the GPU. PhysX is currently delivered with a CUDA backend that definitely isn't compatible with an ATI GPU.

A hack would only be feasible when NVIDIA starts to run PhysX on an OpenCL or DirectCompute backend.