Batman : Arkham Asylum (PC edition)*

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Aug 8, 2009.

1. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I really liked this. The artwork and textures are really great (I played the PC version at 1920x1080 with everything on). It really captures the comic book feel of a Bolland-drawn Batman crossed with the cartoon series. The character models and animations are really smooth. You have a gritty Batman and a bright, leary Joker.

The gameplay may end up being a little repetitive, and I really dislike thing like the console orientated "keep mashing the space bar to remove the vent" type of thing. I want to open the vent, so why make me keep tapping? Just have my character open the vent dammit!

Playing a solid interpretation of Batman is great, and I like the way that although it's partially a sneak-em-up, you do actually get to go into combat with the bad guys. They have guns, but you have ninja hand-to-hand skills, can drop down on them from above, do silent takedowns, etc. Even if you are spotted, you can escape into the shadows rather than the more usual and annoying "you've been discovered, replay from checkpoint" kind of thing you usually get for a sneak-em-up.

I'd like to have some kind of hybrid version of detective mode. It's tempting just to leave it detective mode on for a tactical advantage, but then you miss out on the great graphics. It's a great idea of evening up the odds between the lone batman who needs to get up close, and the many enemies with ranged weapons.

I thought they skimped out a lot on playtime - you don't get much demo for a two gig download, even if you've got a fat pipe and downloaded it in a couple of minutes. Generally it looks a pretty impressive game if you're more into the look of a game than the gameplay, or if you're a Batman fan who wants to play out an interactive comic book story.

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Tweak it!

3. suryad

Veteran

I also noticed depending on how you mash the space button the vent will be opened slowly or fast with a lot of noise...

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Now wtf is this crap, NVIDIA(TM) MULTI SAMPLE ANTI-ALIASING - NVIDIA(TM) 8000+ required :evil:

5. suryad

Veteran

Agreed. It makes a significant bit of difference though with it enabled! Which I am curious about considering that this is an Unreal Engine based game...so how they got AA in there I dont know. Also is it just me or is the UE3.0 the most versatile game engine of this generation?

Another thing that I thought kinda bugs me about this game are the FMVs...I think they should rerender all the videos out as high a quality as possible especially if it is the PC version. My in game looks a bazillion times better than the videos.

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Wait, in-game AA only works on Nvidia cards? :???:

The demo was awsome though, just played it on PC. Ran great at 2560x1600 8xAA. Gonna try it on PS3 later. I'm still sort of confused, has there ever been a good game based on a comic book / movie? The demo was way better than I expected and the graphics were top notch.

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That's right, can't enable AA on Radeons, not via in-game anyway, haven't tried forcing through CCC
    edit:
    Was there some app you could use to fake your cards device id etc? could try if simply reporting GF8-series ID to the game would work to enable AA

#7 Kaotik, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

How about UT3.exe as file name for AA to work?

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Seems to work. Need to set Cat AI to "Advanced" and force it in control panel just like UT3. :)

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

So why can't they provide an in-game option for AMD? No profiles?

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Are there any UE3 games that have an in-game AA option for AMD cards? Just trying to understand why folks are so upset. Seems to me that they simply have a hook in the game for Nvidia's profile system.

13. RudeCurve

Banned

Overall I liked the demo. Played the X360 version. The only thing I didn't like was that the animation is too slow to get into motion for my taste.

14. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

"The way it's meant to be Played"

15. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I think Gears of War did in DX10 mode but otherwise no.

16. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

R6 Vegas 2 comes with ingame AA support (DX9). And GoW under DX10.

PhysX@GPU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINH6Z9kqgI&fmt=22

17. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Yeah, exactly, nVidia dev-rel taught them how to do DeviceID checks, which is some seriously difficult stuff. Because if you supply nVidia's DeviceID AA works as if by magic, even on those non-devrel supported AMD boards. Definitely a case of hooking into the nVidia profile system, and many hours of work put in by engineers to justify the feature lock-down.

After all, MSAA is hardly that common, it's quite novel and difficult to master. Whilst the PhysX stuff being exclusive makes sense, this DeviceID checking to disable perfectly viable features shite belongs to an age long past and it's significantly disappointing.

18. suryad

Veteran

Despite me running Nvidia hardware I think it is absolutely appalling that something like AA is being restricted to specific hardware with device IDs and such. I think the developers of the game are probably not doing themselves and their game justice if people cant see the way it was mean to be seen and enjoyed by gamers no matter what hardware.

That said, I read that the PC version has been delayed has it not?

19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Anyone got any tips on how to give nV device id for the game?
    I tried running via 3DAnalyze, giving 9800GTX's device id (4318/612) with no luck, and 3DAnalyze hanging itself (on Win7/x64, tried run as admin and XPSP3 compatibility modes too)

20. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Just use VendorID 4318, and use the game's exe, not the launcher. Don't force anything through the CP, adjust MSAA level in UserEngine.ini. Works fine here in Win7 x64.