Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo and its amazing Nvidia ONLY MSAA technology!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

http://www.tommti-systems.de/start.html

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Probably an exe hack to remove vendor-id check, only benchmark and iq comparisons would really be able to tell (unless the author states what he is doing)

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

He'd also have had to find a way to circumvent the securom, as the VendorID is part of the DRM scheme used.

I'm guessing Nvidia threatened legal action when people started hacking the VendorID which is why it was included in the DRM.

Regards,
    SB

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Getting "past" securom is np, but getting past securom AND not screw up the game are two different things (all the cracks out there get "past" securom, but the Gliding "skill" doesn't work properly in the game after that

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Uhm, no. That was the first released crack that did that, then they had 2 or 3 other fails before they got a fully functional working one.

But there is a functioning one to get around the securom check, personally I just use the Steam version and Ati Tray Tools...works spiffy. :)

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

OKAY. A little less about efficacy of cracks and more about how evil nvidia and/or incompetent ati are killing pc gaming, please.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

They're EEEEEVIL! Fracking vendor ID check is whack out of line!

8. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

(regarding the MSAA patch for Batman:AA for Ati cards)

Bummer.

Is there a patch to enable AA but keep the save game feature?

9. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Not really.. you're breaking the DRM and that's not what nvidia wants.. wait no.. the distributor wants!

10. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

DRM is lame. No AA on competitor hardware is lame.

[Mize scraps idea to buy Batman:AA and scratches head as to why he has a dedicated PhysX card when there's nothing that uses it worth owning]

11. suryad

Veteran

Amen. Currently though on my system AA (borrowed from friend) is unplayable.

12. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

You mean a Geforce as "dedicated physx/cuda" or a PPU that you are unable to use anymore?

13. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

No. I have PhysX working on the 8800GTS with Cypress as my main GPU, but the only way to use AA with this title is to force it through CCC which is substantially slower than the in game MSAA that *can* be turned on, but only by disabling DRM so you cannot save your game.

It works, but it's hacked to be broken on ATI cards on purpose. Very sleazy.

14. cp2009

Newcomer

Anyone having difficulty with some of the challenge maps? "Sewer bat" is real tough to get over the 19000 score. One mistake and you're screwed. The AI is pretty tricky as well, sometimes it looks like they will hit you but they'll delay that punch to screw up your combo.

15. Scott_Arm

Legend

Ok, I installed the demo to see how it would run on my laptop. It defaulted to some pretty high settings and it runs just a tad too slow for my liking. Here's the problem: I installed the demo through Steam. Once you're into the game, you can't change the visual settings. Problem is, I can't get the launcher to come up in Steam, so I can't change them at all.

Where in the ini files can I change the res and AA settings? I think it's UserEngine.ini, reading around, but that just directs to defaultengine.ini.

16. Scott_Arm

Legend

Figured out where the launcher executable was buried and got my settings figured out.

Everything set to max except that hardware physics turned off, 2x AA, 1280x800 on a 9600M GT 512MB, Core2 Duo 2.6Ghz, 4GB RAM.

I just might start trying more single player games on the Windows, rather than on PS3 or 360. If I can get a little bit better of an experience, graphically, then why not?

17. brain_stew

Regular

The game is available for ~$10 until the 1st of March through GFWL, fyi.

You can cap the engine at 30fps if you want a more steady framerate by setting "MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30" in the game's config file, probably make sense on a rig like that.

18. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Be careful with the foray into pc gaming. After three years away from pc gaming (ps3, 360), I put a bootcamp partition on my newer MacBook pro (same specs as you listed) & before you could say "consoles suck" there was a 5870 in my main desktop rig & a load of steam downloads... :)

19. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Incidentally, is in game MSAA still broken fo AMD gpus? $10 is great, but I hate to support sleaziness.

20. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

It's not broken if you change your DeviceID to anything that starts with vendor 10DE (so yes, this game would never see my $$)