Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo and its amazing Nvidia ONLY MSAA technology!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

I've seen it twice:
    STALKER CS since patch 1.5.07 (DX10.1 update) and Rainbow Six Raven Shield (with TruForm support).

2. suryad

Veteran

I have never seen it...and I have R6 RS!

3. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

What are the chances this is running in dx10 on Nvidia, and dx9 on ATI.

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

The only thing I can think of is the whole Assassin's Creed debacle with the removal of DX10.1 support. Other than that I don't think TWIMTBP games have done anything that openly favors Nvidia hardware. Many of them have in-built CSAA support but the documentation on how to implement that is freely available.

When it comes to PhysX it all seems to be tacked on stuff after the main game was complete - Sacred 2, Terminator, Mirror's Edge, Batman all fall into this category.

5. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

This is a perfect example of something that openly favors Nvidia hardware, despite the fact that ATI hardware is fully capable of the same thing. The question is does the TWIMTBP program and the $$$ from Nv prevent allowing the support of MSAA for ATI cards, or does ATI not do enough to work with the developers to allow this as well? Or a combination of both?

Does Epic have deals with Nvidia which constrains the game developer from allowing "extra" features in UE3 from being used on ATI hardware out-of-the-box as well? Seems every implementation of UE3 engine based games need to have hacks from ATI to support it.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well I doubt it's UE3, as we've seen on consoles UE3 has no problems with Xenos doing MSAA, but has problems with MSAA on PS3.

Likewise, there's apparently nothing to be done, as a simple Nvidia device ID appears to allow full working MSAA on ATI hardware.

In other words, it's restricting AA to Nvidia hardware for no other reason than advertising apparently.

It's almost like Nvidia is thinking. You know, we may not have DX11 cards available in time for the holidays to commpete with ATI. So instead we'll convince people to buy our cards by making some features not work in one of the potential blockbuster games for the Holidays.

Regards,
    SB

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I thought Xenos had problems with AA and UE3 as in not all surfaces receiving AA.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

From what I understand UE3 on X360 has AA, but it's done before post processing effects. So those effects will reintroduce aliasing. The more post processing there is the less noticeable AA is.

UE3 with the DX10 path has been shown with correct AA in some games I believe, and in the DX9 path AA can be forced.

Regards,
    SB

9. hoom

Veteran

They lost me at 'New Nforce4 driver fixes bug that exists in both Nforce 3 & Nforce4.
    Nforce3 motherboards not supported, no new Nforce3 drivers will be released.' :mad:

I admit, I nearly bought a G80/G92 back in the day but then I remembered all the bullshit of the past & just couldn't bring myself to do it.

10. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran Subscriber

I currently have an 8800GT in my main gaming rig, since im going to replace it in the next 6 months for something more fitting of a 24" monitor and thats made up my mind to go to whichever ATI card suits.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Ahh but then it is a "workaround" solution for the 360 as the post process might cancel it out depending on amount. UE3 games I have played that have solid AA without errors or such is Gears of War, UT3 and Mass Effect. Dont know about the rest.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Be aware, that's just my incredibly incomplete laymans understanding of the AA situation with UE3 on consoles. :) And PS3 doesn't get any form of AA from UE3 as far as I know.

Regards,
    SB

13. _xxx_

Banned

Ok, so that was it for me, ejecting. Thanks!

14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I don't think that's strictly fair. The controls are a lot simpler than (say) Prototype, and the mouse/KB does give you a better camera/looking control than a joypad. Try the demo, a pad is really not a requirement.

15. _xxx_

Banned

Ok, I might give it a shot then. I just hate console-style controls and camera.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

No idea, all I know is that most UE3 games don't come with native AA support on anybody's hardware and in some cases it has been easier to force on Nvidia via profiles whereas for AMD you needed to rename the exe.

Yep, the KB/mouse setup isn't bad at all. Definitely try out the demo.

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I have to admit that the movements do feel very console-y, with automatic lock-ons and movements/attacks. You could pretty much button-mash your way through the combat with two buttons for attack/counter, but the combat in the game is more about planning your attacks from the shadows and picking off the bad guys one by one than just the actual fighting. Sneak attacks are very important.

If you didn't like Prince Of Persia 3D because it felt like you weren't really in control of your character, you won't like Batman Arkham Asylum, because it has that same feeling that you're clicking a couple of buttons and then your character does all these complex fighting moves that were not really your decision. It's like you're telling Batman "attack" and then he goes off and does all the ninja moves without you. It's the style/limitation we've come to expect from any console port or multiplatform title where the console is the primary target.

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

reportedly official response from Rocksteady, OP didn't provide link though
    The only actual feature that comes to mind would be using NVAPI with it's DX10.1-related features, which would mean they'd need to implement 10.1-path for ATI-cards to achieve same.

19. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

You are right, there is only an ATi logo, but the game was listed as GITG game on their old GITG homepage.

20. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

Yeah remove the vender id check.