Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo and its amazing Nvidia ONLY MSAA technology!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

So, here I am, impatiently waiting for my download of the latest Batman game demo to come to and end, so I can install that sucker and start kicking asses god dammed Batman style.

You can download the demo on Big Download (quite fast servers): http://www.bigdownload.com/games/batman-arkham-asylum/pc/batman-arkham-asylum-demo

Instead of staring blankly to my download manager, I decided to read about the game performance on our favourite playing rig, the PC. First news, the game uses PhysX. That news is always a good one, since it means that us all with Ati GPU will be invited to enjoy, while standing on the side, the sights of laughters and chants coming from Nvidia cards owners as they appreciate intricate PhysX hardware accelerated effects such as (as much as!) tens of particles!

And it doesn't defy logic to see that without any form of powerful PhysX capable Nvidia hardware it is impossible to Rocksteady (the dev house) and Eidos (the publisher) to provide very complex effects such as simplier flying papers, uninteractive smoke emitters, canned animation ground/wall destructions and other clothes. Let's not even talk about the mind bending physically correct particle effects that we can see in that video as being an exclusive byproduct of the magical association of Nvidia, PhysX and love.

Nope, they just decided to remove these effects entirely. Which makes perfect sense, when you do not think about it.

Now, the amazement train didn't just go and stop at the PhysX station, no, it decided to take it straight to cuckoo land with its setting screen! Picture:

[​IMG]

That's right, NVIDIA (TM) MSAA requires an NVIDIA (TM) 8000+ card. And when the AA is activated via the .ini (the game being an UE3 game) the game tells you to shove it, you and your unworthy Canadian MSAA capable hardware.

All in all, I love this neverending trend where ISVs add stupid limitations into the code of their product only to insult a part of their future buyers and please one IHV over another. Good stuff!

Now, with that said... The game itself is actually pretty good. It pretty much requires you to have a Xbox 360 pad around, though. So, if you're a Kb/M only hardliner, you might have to pass on this one.

Also, for those more interested about the game, there's already a thread talking more about it (and less about its inane limitations) here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=49455

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

It seems that renaming the exe to "UT3.exe" and forcing AA through the control panel with Catalyst AI set to "Advanced" you can magically get rid of most of the jaggies. :)

3. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

But I don't have a NVIDIA (TM) GEFORCE 8000+ card, how is such a miracle even remotely possible?

Yeah, I tried the renaming the exec into UT3.exe a few minutes ago.

4. digitalwanderer

Legend

Vy if you think I'm even remotely happy about what/how they did this you are sadly mistaken, I share your outrage/amazement at their gall....I just thought I'd post a work around.

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

AFAIK those effects aren't present in the console versions either. So they didn't remove anything, just added stuff to the base game. In any case, it's up to ATI to support AA in UE3 and tell developers how to access that support. So I'm really not understanding all the anger towards Eidos/Nvidia here.

6. PhilB

Regular

Wow that's just sad.

7. Kyyla

Veteran

Hey Nvidia marketing! Stay the •••• off my games or I'll never touch your products again.

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's one thing to accelerate effects with hardware if it's available, it's quite another to delete those effects even though they are perfectly capable of being done on other, non-Nvidia GPUs and CPUs.

I guess Nvidia's dev-rel/marketing money speaks again. Must be nice to be able to pay off developers to degrade their games for competitor hardware.

9. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

So is this DX9 or DX10?

10. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

And when the game doesn't sell because of this crap, it will of course be because of piracy.

11. Sxotty

Veteran

The number of people who actually knows or cares may seem large to you in a forum, but it is actually small in comparison to their market.

12. suryad

Veteran

Yeah agreed. I hope this game does not get pirated and the devs get to make bank because I want sequels!!!!

13. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I wish PhysX worked for me so I could see all those extra sparks.

14. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

The only effect that I even noticed is that if you glide kick the first "boss" into the floor the tiles break and go flying. Everything else is very subtle / unnoticeable.

What I don't understand is why aren't those effects in the base game (console versions). Don't they have full PhysX support too?

15. repi

Newcomer

Not supporting MSAA on ATI cards is just sad. Even if they had a special Nvidia-specific MSAA-mode (which I've never ever heard of), they should still support DX-standard MSAA.

16. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Question:
    Will BAA come with D3D10 support?
    Is it possible, that there will be D3D10 MSAA for all line in GoW?
    There some interesting settings in BaseEngine (...\batman arkham asylum - demo\Engine\Config) like
    Code:
    [Engine.ISVHacks]
    bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False
    DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
    PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=False

Or
    Code:
    [SystemSettings]
    ; NOTE THAT ANY ITEMS IN THIS SECTION WILL AFFECT ALL PLATFORMS!!!

AllowD3D10=False
    [B]bEnableVSMShadows=False[/B]

Will there be an improved (DX10) version?

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

Has anyone tried enabling those options?

/me runs off to tinker!

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

It will make you look twice as young and twice as strong. :razz:

Btw that those commands are available for UT3 with latest patch. D3D10 enabled aswell as some DX10 shaders IIRC.

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well that's something that I've always wondered. Nvidia seem to spend a lot of devrel with their TWIMTBP program, is exclusivity a requirement for that? Are developers forced to allow Nvidia only options due to $$$ being handed to them? Also, do ATI actually try to liase with a lot of developers and work with them closely to provide the necessities for support such as this? Or do they just email the game devs a link to their dev site with some instructions on how to implement and call it a day?

I've always big a big fan of ATI and owned many of their products but to most consumers, Nvidia have much more of a visible presence for working with game developers. Do ATI need to budget more $$$ towards devrel? Or is that a gamble of Nvidia's accounting/marketing behalf only? I have no idea how much is involved for game developer companies, in terms of how much they get from Nv for the exclusivity or nvidia "only" features.

20. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Did you ever happen to catch this logo in a game?

[​IMG]

Yeah, me neither.