Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the things his got correct it could all of been educated guesses but yeah it's starting to look like it might be accurate. Some of the stuff like GTAVI being one month exclusive sounds insane though.

Also 14TFlop GPU sounds like a stretch to me in fact I'll be impressed if they hit 12 TFlops. I'm expecting just over 10 TFlops.

I suppose the Ram and high TFlop GPU could just be a dev kit thing and not really representative of final retail hardware.
GPU in devkit is usually as close to the retail unit as possible tho, so I've been told, not to mention the Orbis devkit leak had the exact same Tflop as the retail PS4. The kit he has was equipped with 32 Gigs of ram in total, we're still not sure if PS5 is getting HBM2 or not so that to me is the most mysterious part. But yeah since the pastebin leak is older, I think things might have changed since then hence the reduction of Tflops to 12.9.

There's an Assassin's Creed game every year. How is forecasting an AC game in 2020 any sort of prediction or rumour validation?

I didn't know there was going to be an Assassin's Creed game this year but yeah they do seem to come out every year. There was a gap before origins though.

If he had nailed the setting that would have been something but Assasins Creed skipping this year and hitting 2020 was something that was known well before the pastebin post, Yves Guillemot pretty much said it himself.

Big insider leak says FIFA will be available for PS5, that's huge if true... SMH
Edit:

How much memory is needed to support 4k?

Last edited:
Xbox One X has 12 GB, 3 GB reserved for OS, and readily supports 4K in a lot of games.
Right? Why would these systems need 2 to 3 times as much memory? It doesn't sound necessary to me. I think ~16GB with cery high bandwidth would make more sense... These leaks state some obvious things and then some things which sound reasonable until you dig a little deeper.

But there is something which is bothering me: if you really want to maximize the reuse between your consoles and servers then you probably need a GPU which is not specialized to gaming but also has high double precision performance and machine learning instructions like Vega 20, so that you can use the blades to run scientific compute and machine learning tasks when xCloud servers have spare capacity.

Phil Spencer said the hardware would be put to use for "machine learning and other non-entertainment uses".
AFAIK machine learning has little use for DP, and all other purposes could exclude scientific workloads that need DP.

Just think of all the professional uses that Vega 10 got, such as ML on Alibaba's servers, video rendering, offline 3d rendering, etc.

Just because they'll be renting the servers for other uses, it doesn't mean they need their servers to be capable of all uses.

Right? Why would these systems need 2 to 3 times as much memory?
As discussed at length when talking about the possibility of an SSD in next-gen machines (before Cerny's interview), potentially they don't. Diverting money from RAM to SSD could produce a more balanced system overall. That said, there's still plenty of repetition in assets. Twice the memory would mean more options for devs. More RAM means choosing solutions that benefit from more RAM, so 24 GBs+ of RAM wouldn't necessarily be wasteful.

There's an Assassin's Creed game every year. How is forecasting an AC game in 2020 any sort of prediction or rumour validation?
While predicting AC itself isn't difficult, it is the sum of its parts that makes it interesting. I just can't shake the feeling that the prophecy is slowly eventuating as more things are ticked off in this leak :), especially when you have Sony's absence of E3 announcement followed by a brief reveal checked out right off the bat.

While predicting AC itself isn't difficult, it is the sum of its parts that makes it interesting. I just can't shake the feeling that the prophecy is slowly eventuating as more things are ticked off in this leak :), especially when you have Sony's absence of E3 announcement followed by a brief reveal checked out right off the bat.
24GB & SSD
This alone makes it ring untrue to me.
Adds up to a lot when you can stream data in lot faster with ssd, especially the super fast SS that Cerney was waxing lyrical about.

While predicting AC itself isn't difficult, it is the sum of its parts that makes it interesting.
Like typical predictions, with enough mind-numbingly obvious foretellings coming true, you earn a sense of credibility. Your highlighted matches aren't anything insightful at all - they're just the basic predictions already covered by pretty much everyone making predictions. It's AMD...well then, Zen and Navi. Sony pretty much have to have BC and using AMD, that's easier, plus all the patents on that matter. 'Some sort of raytracing'...we can already do 'some sort of raytracing' on compute, and 'some sort of raytracing' is expected of Navi whether it has hardware acceleration or not.

Look at the other stuff that just to predict numbers, like 24+4 GBs RAM, and the wohle PSVR2 specs (220 degrees FOV?? $250 for 'better in every way than every headset out there'??).

That doesn't mean it's not true, but that there's no meat to the bits that are true to give the whole thing validity IMO.

The flash prediction wasn't as obvious though and the not going to e3
how old is the paste bin? if you take that as a legit leaker; then the correlation would start to pinpoint around an ubisoft leaker. Perhaps they were trying to get assassin's creed on sony's stage, and they weren't going to E3 thus why the information is bundled together.

but if we're talking that far in advance (this paste bin), you're talking about some really early specs on paper - this is going to be very far from the real dev kit; so even if you took this to be real, it should still be taken with a grain of salt. A lot can change and thus given it's age, wouldn't be much useful.

The final console does not need to be anywhere near original specs because those are landed on with the price before they get started. So if the yields or design aren't going to get them to that price point, we're going to see things come down for it to make it fit.

The pastebin was posted on December 3, Sony not going to E3 had already been official for several weeks.

Well shit, scratch that then. The way I read it it looked like the E3 no show was part of the rumour.

Yeah without that I wouldn't put much credence to that rumour. Weren't we discussing a potential flash hybrid type system so that the consoles wouldn't need much ram here on beyond around that time?

I think Shifty was a big proponent of it.

Weren't we discussing a potential flash hybrid type system so that the consoles wouldn't need much ram here on beyond around that time?

It was in the alternative distro format thread. Discussion covered the value of an SSD and the cost considerations. There's been a massive shift in flash pricing since then, making the prospect of larger, SSD only storage all the more realistic.

I think Shifty was a big proponent of it.
I have definitely advocated SSD over more RAM...

April 2018:
You don't negate the need for an SSD. Any HDD is still horrifically slow by comparison - if that weren't the case, replacing your PC HDD with an SSD wouldn't make much difference. Ithink the choice is between something like 24+ GBs RAM and a large HDD, or 16 GBs RAM and a smaller SSD, and the latter will provide overall a better user experience. I suppose there's a third option of HDD + more RAM + on-board flash for OS keeping that responsive, but then you're adding complexity and costs.

As I said before though, I think the moment you have a platform with a guaranteed SSD, devs will target it in ways they wouldn't target an HDD. As such, speed comparisons at the moment aren't much use. We're comparing HDD-designed performance on an HDD versus HDD-designed performance on an SSD. You could potentially load less to begin with because the streaming in of assets will be faster, or use better procedural content (create once on the fly but save for later use) with simultaneous streaming and writes to storage which would mess up the head movement and seek rates on HDD.

Anyone could pick a few notions and numbers from our B3D discussions and float them out there as leaked specs, and they'd sound plausible because we've done the leg-work of narrowing down what's plausible. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back