Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? I believe 3 verified sources (Matt, Klee, and ZhugeEX) and one game editor have stated otherwise. Final SDKs no, but that applies to PS5 as well.

That's not what the previous tweet says "hardly anyone has them".

And your initial quote of my words left out the "nearly" which makes a large difference in what I said.

That's not what the previous tweet says "hardly anyone has them".

And your initial quote of my words left out the "nearly" which makes a large difference in what I said.

I must be seeing things, but I quoted "nearly."

But it seems from prior reports next-box SDKs have been in some developers hands for quite sometime.

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsro...ps5-is-more-powerful-than-xbox-scarlett/z8d31
The source of the new leak is a former IGN journalist Colin Moriarty, who in his podcast, based on reports from developers who have access to development versions of both new consoles, revealed that PS5 offers more power than Xbox Scarlett. It should be remembered that the final versions of consoles usually differ slightly in terms of parameters from devkits, but on the other hand, this is another confirmation that the new device from Sony will be stronger than Microsoft.

And that Gizmodo tipster maybe a developer.
Our tipster, who claims to be working on a title for both consoles, sent us a series of messages from June through August to our SecureDrop. The first tip came in response to a nerdy theory we published following Microsoft’s E3 briefing.

Last edited:
??? I believe 3 verified sources (Matt, Klee, and ZhugeEX) and one game editor have stated otherwise. Final SDKs no, but that applies to PS5 as well.
I believe Matt did say that MS was behind in terms of getting information and kits out to developers compared to Sony. Such that it was causing frustration.

and the recent pics of the PS5 kit could be close to near final there. That’s not an alpha box.

I believe Matt did say that MS was behind in terms of getting information and kits out to developers compared to Sony. Such that it was causing frustration.

and the recent pics of the PS5 kit could be close to near final there. That’s not an alpha box.

I'm not disagreeing with such a notion. I'm just pointing out there are some in the hands of developers. As for PS5 SDK, Matt just mentioned PS5/XBN final SDKs aren't due until next year.

Edit:

Last edited:
It's impossible to compare something to nothing, so they can allude all they want as it's utterly meaningless when nearly no next-box devkits are in the wild.

Even if the statement is true right now, it could be for varied enough reasons to make it meaningless e.g. the hardware of both dev kits could be completely identical, but MS are being a little bit more conservative in terms of what they'll allow to be abstracted. Obviously, that can be altered down the line.

I disagree, that's one very alpha box.

latest

Which is normal timing for a final devkit. But I have no expectations that devkits get faster as they get closer to final; I would probably anticipate them getting slower to be honest.
There’s enough out there to talk about PS5 at least with regards to how far along the kit is; but really there isn’t enough alignment to talk about Scarlett performance; or how far along their kit is; with respect to PS5.

We need better info than this. Much better than this.

It's impossible to compare something to nothing, so they can allude all they want as it's utterly meaningless when nearly no next-box devkits are in the wild.

One might assume that the few people who do have access to both are in fact the source of the comparisons being shared anonymously.

One might assume that the few people who do have access to both are in fact the source of the comparisons being shared anonymously.
Each dev kit is marked for each studio. What you get at your studio isn't necessarily what another studio will get. Your'e not supposed to talk about it either. Nothing new here, the PS3 documentation when you get it is also watermarked by your studio when you get the PDFs. So they can trace back leaked documents.
The console has Microsoft stickers and according to several users on Reddit the striped ‘Zebra’ pattern on the console was different for every prototype that Microsoft sent off to developers. This was said to be done to identify the source if leaked early. The shots also show an early prototype Kinect with Microsoft stickers and an early version of the Xbox One option screen running on a tv screen.
https://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=8160/c=378892/photos-of-an-xbox-one-zebra-prototype.html

So I would expect the people leaking the information are the source of the comparisons, but unless there is collaboration between all of the studios that have both, you don't know what you have. There is, as we know, at this moment 3 data points (which I'm also unsure if they are all unique). All of which are probably true (in that PS5 kit is performing better). But that doesn't mean it is reflective of the population of kits or whether the maturity is equivalent.

Each dev kit is marked for each studio. What you get at your studio isn't necessarily what another studio will get. Your'e not supposed to talk about it either. Nothing new here, the PS3 documentation when you get it is also watermarked by your studio when you get the PDFs. So they can trace back leaked documents.

I don't think any of that has anything to do with the judgements being made about the each platform's relative capabilities. You don't deceive developers about hardware capabilities in order to trace potential leaks.

as well as alluding to the PS5 RT solution being more robust.
Technically, it's safe to say a hardware in existence is far more robust than one that's on the drawing board. ;)

I think both PS5 and Scarlett's main design are set in stone now but either could still surprise each other tho not in the way Tom would let you believe. It could just be a indirect surprise like the 8GB gddr5 moment depends on the supplier, cost etc. Ain't no chance MS swapping out a 10TF gpu for a 12TF beast in the last moment this further out to release.

I think both PS5 and Scarlett's main design are set in stone now but either could still surprise each other tho not in the way Tom would let you believe. It could just be a indirect surprise like the 8GB gddr5 moment depends on the supplier, cost etc. Ain't no chance MS swapping out a 10TF gpu for a 12TF beast in the last moment this further out to release.

If 12TF GPU is a beast then so is 10TF.

Not swapping a major component out, no. But could Microsoft could theoretically have better yields than Sony allowing them to reduce their CU reservation? Sure. The reverse is also true. And in terms of memory, I would imagine that both manufacturers have built into their core design a degree of flexibility given how RAM prices fluctuate across RAM types. PS4 4Gb -> 8Gb was straight forward using GDDR5 clamshell setup but I wouldn't bank on such a large last-minute capacity upgrade with nextgen unless their current target is already low, like 12Gb.

Even with solid state storage, I hope they'll looking to let games have access to a minimum of 14Gb separate from the OS.

smh.. oh Tom. I hate to call you out on it; but you're the senior editor at The Verge. You should know better than this.
You know it's nonsense not because MS is trying to 'surprise' Sony. That's a terrible fanboy take.

He's doubling down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back