Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Stands to reason, when either company knew they was the performance leader they touted it as expected.

It's easy to think it's just MS because they was last to say it due to 1X.

iroboto likes this.
  2. Nisaaru

Regular

After the show and the 12 GDDR chip layout I believe the handwritten pages describes their plan. It gives them maximum flexibility to counter anything Sony might do in relation to GPU performance.

2x40CU chiplets gives the rumoured 80CU devkit. Depending on final TDP/Yield reasons late 2020 they can adjust the CUs/Clocks into the optimal range with 2x32/28/24CU. Spreading the hotspots over a larger area might also be an advantage.

AMD's RX5700/Navi normal/low-end products are 40CU/36CU so it's not the rumoured 8CU step.

3. fehu

Veteran Regular

250mm^2 * 2, plus a very beefy uncore, plus the cpu
    why not add some hbm3 while you are at it

4. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Yeah that hand written BS was totally off the mark and the render clearly states that they are using a single chip SOC, basically the only actual info that was given to us by MS, but yep sure let's put 5 chips in there haha.

Pixel likes this.
  5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Wouldn't rule what out? I don't understand. :-?

They can't say they only have a single console if they have two in the works. But they dfon't want to say, "we have another console coming later" as that takes away from the message of a next-gen console. Leaving only one option, to say, "this is the console we are releasing."

You find it as easy to believe that the specs of Scarlett are the high end machine as the specs of Scarlett are the low end machine?? I certainly don't. A more powerful machine would cost loads and would fly in the face of the Anaconda/Lockhart rumours about a low-end machine for streaming.

6. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I wouldn't rule out your view. I can see them also having a single console.
    I wouldn't see the streaming only device as a console. More like an accessory.
    Same way Stadia chromecast adapter isn't a console. So be pretty easy for Booty to have said Scarlett is single console.
    No I find it easy to believe they would only talk about Anaconda the high end Scarlett console right now.
    I didn't expect or think they would talk about Lockhart at all.
    Its just that the way they talked on stage muddied the waters, then eurogamer article once again showed they refused to clarify that Scarlett is a single console.

They could've said Scarlett is single console, streaming device wouldn't be a Scarlett console, just go by another code name.
    But if Scarlett is still a range of devices, then it could have Lockhart, and even streaming device also. Hence dancing around it.

AzBat likes this.
  7. temesgen

Veteran Regular

Scarlett is the physical next Xbox, streaming service will likely be a cheaper option for people concerned about price.

With a gamer pass the streaming option is a very good value btw, I just don't think investing R&D into a special box makes much sense.

MS can allocate resources into lowering latency and let consumers bring their own box: 360, XBOX one, tablets and so on.

8. Pixel

Regular

is the uncore the i/o die on the ryzen chiplets?

9. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

My baseless speculation for the day is that next years consoles will be on 7nm EUV mainly due to the improved power consumption.

10. fehu

Veteran Regular

The definition is starting to be fuzzy, but yes
    In that configuration it would be something more "smarter" than io/cache management, having to coordinate the two gpus.

11. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I know it's in jest, but I was curious since I didn't actually know. :p

"7nm+ will feature 1.2x times logic density and a trade-off between 10% speed increase or 15% power efficiency over its predecessor, 7nm."
    https://wccftech.com/tsmc-7nm-proces-sram-details/

Heh https://semiwiki.com/semiconductor/samsung-foundry/8157-tsmc-and-samsung-5nm-comparison/
    [​IMG]

oof.
    [​IMG]

Suppose it'll be a while before we see a slim arrangement or even a tangible mid-gen (unless that ends up being an N.V. Titanic *cough*)

#111 AlBran, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  12. Nisaaru

Regular

So why would they need a 384Bit GDDR6 memory system for a lower clocked AMD5700 variant then? Just to get 24G and the CPU bandwidth requirements? Neither could they ever be sure to have the most powerful console which is apparently their goal. It would be a pretty locked design betting that their CU/TDP choice is the right one with no room for adjustments.

13. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This is impressive work by Microsoft having numerous design and fabrication plans with product specification being entirely dictated by their competitor. :nope: Good work by Sony as well for being able to make Microsoft dance like a puppet. :nope:

You surely don't really believe this?

14. Proelite

Regular

It's not a 12 GDDR chip layout, it's a 10 chip layout, 3, 4, 3 (320 bit bus)

15. Nisaaru

Regular

If *their* plan is to have the fastest console then they obviously have to be flexible enough to adjust to their competitor's hardware which they can't really with a fixed 5700 variant. There they can only hope their TDP/CU choice was the right one, 2 years before release. We've seen how badly they miscalculated 2013.

16. Nisaaru

Regular

Huh? I thought somebody here counted 12. 10 obviously makes this whole speculation pointless.

17. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Based on?

18. Proelite

Regular

If you study closely what they showed, it's seems to be 3 on the two sides, and 4 in the front.

There might be two on the corners furthest from the camera but it's too blurred to make the call. I doubt it though.

19. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

12 was based on the wrong image, it was an xb1x
    10 is assuming the segment we can't see is symmetrical. 3+4+3
    8 is assuming a 3+5 or 3+4+1 configuration, both can also fit on that image

12 is very difficult to fit on what we see, but not impossible.

20. Proelite

Regular

It's clearly symmetrical in the shot.

3 on each side, definitely 4 in the front.