Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

There's no technical reason not to, I guess. I wonder who's providing the build for Windows, though. Is Microsoft making a build for Sony, or was it AMD who developed all the drivers so they can install a generic Windows 10 license in them?

The engineering effort to make it work is trivial compared to e.g. what Microsoft and Qualcomm are going through to get Windows 10 working on Snapdragons.

The only "evidence" I see is Tum Apisak claiming it to be for consoles. There's also the fact that the second character "G" means it's a "gaming" chip like the console chips and the Fenghuang.
    But it could be a gaming APU for the PC market on embedded devices, e.g. for gaming laptops or small Steam Machines.

2. megre

Newcomer

I am pumped for next-gen and I don't know about technology. So I'm throwing this out here so you can laugh at me or maybe find my contribution interesting. I was looking at it because I was really interested. Then I thought, can Sony use this for the PS5?

[​IMG]
    It's a Sony product to be released on 2020 for only $130 that can cool down the whole body. It's pocketable air-conditioner that can lower the body temperature for 10 degree celsius. It operates on battery so it probably takes a few watts to operate?

An even smaller version of this that make sense in a console will probably be a lot cheaper. I mean $130 for this thing including the margin, battery and R&D, this thing might be super cheap to manufacture.

[​IMG]

https://first-flight.sony.com/pj/reonpocket

[​IMG]

#902 megre, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
    lefantome likes this.
  3. megre

Newcomer

i genuinely thought this thing produces cold air.. but apprently it's just a miniturized fan.. cool idea but nothing new technology-wise

4. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

The makers of slots and video poker machines also call themselves a "gaming" industry...

RancidLunchmeat and Shortbread like this.
  5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

If only politicians called themselves a gaming industry...

HBRU and RancidLunchmeat like this.
  6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Can't. Game developers actually do work, get things done, and handle budgets far better.

BRiT and Globalisateur like this.
  7. zed

zed
    Veteran

yeah this was like the first time in a decade I was excited for tech, but if its only a fan, sheesh!
    OK the human body produces about 100 watts, so perhaps 5-10 watts at the back of the neck, I expect requires to much energy I expect to keep something frozen, you'ld have to plug it into a USB battery pack on your waist.
    Someone make this happen!

8. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

No it's not just a fan. It's a thermoelectric element (probably driven at a low current for a high COP). It looks like the goal is not to cool the body, but to cool the nerve endings in the back of the neck.

This is obviously unusable to cool electronics. It's like cooling only the thermal sensor instead of cooling the entire chip.

9. milk

Veteran Regular

You think that is impressive? That's just the start of his plan. Guy had planned ahead up until PS9.

[​IMG]

Pixel likes this.
  10. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Should be fun watching people using that in super hot environments convinced they'll be better but then sweating like crazy and suffering from heat stroke.

11. fehu

Veteran Regular

Are we really debating about a fan?

12. milk

Veteran Regular

Puts a whole new meaning to the term fanboy

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh man, how did you know? You just leaked the name of the product for the Western markets. Sony Fanboy. Hope you weren't under NDA.

Regards,
    SB

14. milk

Veteran Regular

I'm not, but my uncle who works at naughty dog is. He's told me SFB can do 80 Million ray traced polygons at 8k60 fully uncompressed pixels.

15. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

#915 anexanhume, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Please don't post random images without any explanation. Add just one line of what we're looking at

18. chris1515

Veteran Regular

19. milk

Veteran Regular

So
    So that's what they meant by "custom SSD-like solution"! They are using ROM based game carts! Brilliant.
    I don't get the weird 3 handed controller though. How are you supposed to hold it?

20. Barrabas

Newcomer

They need about 100 000 of that box to build one PS5 devkit. If we say that each box is about 5 cm tall, that will be 5 Km. Puts a whole new meaning to a tower PC....:wink: