Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Let the totally baseless dreams and rumors continue on after the E3 2019 kickoff. I really cant imagine what sort of baseless claims can happen now, other than trying to nail down various amounts such as RAM or CPU or GPU Units.

The genuine Technology Thread is available here: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...ion-with-a-technical-spin-post-e3-2019.61245/

Here is what's known about Project Scarlett from Microsoft, so anything going against this base set is completely bunk.

Let's Talk about our Next Console.
Reducing Load Times
Zen 2 and Navi technology from AMD
4x more powerful from a processing perspective
GDDR6
8K Capabilities
120 FPS capabilities
Variable Refresh Rate
Next Gen RayTracing, RealTime Hardware Accelerated
SSD, more than 40 times improvements
4 Generations of Content
Scarlett
Holiday 2020
Co-Engineered and Custom Designed with AMD

Where do they mention hardware RT?

From E3,
4x XB1X CPU and GPU.
40x XB1X drive performance.

At face value, that's kinda unbelievable. Sony's been talking about a 20x improvement and we've debated how realistic that is, so short of a battery backed up RAM cache, how is 40x possible? And 24 TFs for the GPU?? Only if it releases in 2025 (announced for 2020), or costs $2000.

Those numbers are...marketing. ;) Some sort of arbitrary relative performance. We have quite a ways to go to determine what the real hardware is.

Yup. And now we have this rumor....

I wonder how they manage loading times compared to PS5 and when they will release the rest of the specs

I'm surprised no one has pixel counted and posted estimates of the Scarlet die size yet. The Scorpio video, I believe, proved to be very close to reality so I hope someone is on the case.

The top view of the motherboard (guy working on it) looks like there are 7 RAM chips visible (3 on top, 3 on the side, and one in the corner). The other sides are obfuscated. Obviously intentional, but will it be 8 chips for 16 GB or 12 for 24 GB. I'm leaning to 24 given that arrangement.

The 40x drive speed is straight theoretical, which would put it at like 4GB/s. Sony's 19x claims for their drive were real world results. My guess if we're looking at a 2 lane PCIe 4.0 NVME drive for Scarlett. If Sony is using their patent, we could still see something faster there. The solution for decompression was not mentioned, but the insiders on Resetera have been beating the GPU decompression drum for Xbox. If Sony is using dedicated hardware for that as described in the patent, that could also be a point of differentiation.

I do think the 4x Scorpio is probably using FP16 or is splitting the difference in the GPU and CPU upgrades. That puts us at a predictable 12TFs for the GPU with FP32.

They pointedly address RT, 8K, 120hz, and load times to answer the PS5 early details. Nothing to counter the 3D audio, though.

The 40x drive speed is straight theoretical, which would put it at like 4GB/s. Sony's 19x claims for their drive were real world results.
You got links for both of these, one being theoretical other real world?
The solution for decompression was not mentioned, but the insiders on Resetera have been beating the GPU decompression drum for Xbox. If Sony is using dedicated hardware for that as described in the patent, that could also be a point of differentiation.
Nothing to say who's doing what and which is actually better.
But sure it could be a differentiation.

What we do know, is both will have fast SS storage. We'll have to wait to see how they compare.

I'm surprised no one has pixel counted and posted estimates of the Scarlet die size yet. The Scorpio video, I believe, proved to be very close to reality so I hope someone is on the case.

The top view of the motherboard (guy working on it) looks like there are 7 RAM chips visible (3 on top, 3 on the side, and one in the corner). The other sides are obfuscated. Obviously intentional, but will it be 8 chips for 16 GB or 12 for 24 GB. I'm leaning to 24 given that arrangement.

If someone want's to do this GDDR6 is 14*12 mm. I tried but my measurements were ridiculously large so I cleary did something wrong (perspective not corrected good enough?).

The green board is an xb1x, the blue one is new. From the render, the heatsink and emi shielding are integrated now, kind of like the ps4pro but with a leveled "fence" to fit the heatsink on top I assume.

If someone want's to do this GDDR6 is 14*12 mm. I tried but my measurements were ridiculously large so I cleary did something wrong (perspective not corrected good enough?).

The number I came up with is probably worse than yours. Something North of 500mm2.

PS4 was 348?
Pro - 325?
Xbox One X - 360?

Last edited:
Is it a coincidence that both systems are similar?
They either came to the same conclusion on next gen or this is a play for a two horse race, nocking every other upstart player out of the market? Conspiracy theory at work here.

Sony that Saturday morning with AMD...
giphy.gif

Microsoft that Saturday afternoon with AMD...
7VLq.gif

Get where I'm going with this? ;)

This is pretty interesting. He's the executive editor of Game Informer, the world's largest gaming magazine, and he says that his source of the rumors are from the developers he spoke with themselves, so I think this has a lot of credibility. But I suppose there's a lot of time between now and launch and things can change.

This is pretty interesting. He's the executive editor of Game Informer, the world's largest gaming magazine, and he says that his source of the rumors are from the developers he spoke with themselves, so I think this has a lot of credibility. But I suppose there's a lot of time between now and launch and things can change.

Sony didn't page developers when they decided shortly before the PS4 spec announcement that they would double the RAM (IIRC Guerilla games was developing Killzone for a 4GB PS4.. Microsoft also literally overclocked the Xbox One CPU a few months after unveiling the final specs... Anything said today about PS5 & Scarlett is nothing more than clickbait ish to get some attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back