Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know if it's custom or standard, right now it's just speculation.

At no point did Cerny excluded a perfectly standard nvme hardware. It could be standard on an nvme socket, and there would be additional hardware in the SoC or the SB to help decryption and decompression at wire speed, except 40 times more power allocated to that asic section than what the ps4 had for LZ and JPG codecs.

I hope that's what they did, so it would be user replaceable as long as you put an nvme pcie 4.0.

This is the patent. The controller is custom and optimized for read speed.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...nd-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/

I said it since June 2019

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-ot5-its-in-rdna.120059/page-31#post-21424116

The difference compared to june 2019 I have the SSD speed, the bus, and some other things and it is not this. Maybe it is replaceable by a proprietary SSD by Sony or a standard NVme SSD but the controller is not a Phison controller. Maybe the controller respects the NVME standard but it is not a Phison controller at all.

A good question why do you want a very expensive PCIE4 SSD when you can compress the data and go for a PCIE3 SSD?

This OQA leak is false and a totally made up things because someone heard the SSD is fast.

EDIT: The last SSD patent is 2016, this is not WIP since a long time.

Last edited:
Mostly a software fault. SC does show a larger difference, games need to be optimised for it.

SC load 11 times faster on SSD. It is the same during the demo they present to investors. And the demo to the Wired Journalist it is 19 faster on a low speed devkit.

Judging by config files, these seem to be added in May/June for Arden. Oberon A0 regression tests date from March 28 for first blocks to June.
That broad a range leaves some uncertainty on how it aligns with the apparent mention of bvh64 in AMD's LLVM commit. The upper date limit for the last-saved information puts them after the LLVM changes, which doesn't reinforce the usefulness of those lines as much as if it were certain they were around longer and were sourced from an undeniably private source.

Also, nothing there is older then June 2018 (I think Navi 10 is oldest), thus I doubt Ariel is 2017 design. Perhaps it was used as early "bench" as it seems to have originated from Navi 10, and Oberon is iGPU with RT, I dunno, but Oberon is clearly PS5 chip (as per aquariusZi, as per Flute benchmark from July). We have no other codename from AMD of another "hidden" SOC chip...
Some of the data points we are connecting do step on the usual practice in other parts of the discipline.
For example, the tying of PCI ID values to specific chips or steppings doesn't fully make sense and might mean some of the inferences are spurious. The choice of PCI ID values on their own doesn't quite compute, since it seems to strand the supposed Ariel ID in the middle of the the SOC range, and the narrative tacks on two separate IGP IDs that normally could have just taken its slot.
The way they just increment the last ID from the SOC range seems sloppy, and more like someone looked at the public PCI ID range and incremented rather than the more planned-out ID allocation actual products have.
That could be an indication that these values can be messier during internal development, but it could also mean some of these points are misleading.

Very well thought out die size estimates for various numbers of WGPs:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ever-seen-before.165711/page-12#post-28418616
Not sure about splitting up the CCX sections for the PS5, for one thing. The CCX uses the shared L3 and shadow tags in that space for internal coherence, and there's pretty broad data paths between each group of 4 that might not play well with that arrangement.

The 3 SE scenario for the Xbox does run into a question about how AMD would handle non-symmetric rasterizer and RBE coverage.
AMD's distribution methods and some code mentions for primitive shaders in Vega point to using some straightforward methods for determining what SEs may be involved based on the coordinates of a triangle. AMD uses some form of checkerboard, and its implementations have worked with the 1/2/4 setup in the past. Navi10 at least seems like it follows the same tiling method. There are now 2 rasterizers and primitive units per SE, but that hasn't taken that GPU out of the range of prior GPUs.

Arden and Sparkman are cities in Arkansas.

Fits with the Xbox console codenames based on cities. Durango, Yukon. Not sure what the console codenames were for project Scorpio.

Out of curiosity I googled those. Both are incredibly small, population around 400. Arden in fact doesn't even appear to be an incorporated city, and is hard to get anything to come up on google. Basically just a cemetery. I'm familiar with similar places, maybe a church, few homes, stop sign, and cemetery, not even a store. Means nothing, just adding it.

Arden and Sparkman are cities in Arkansas.

Fits with the Xbox console codenames based on cities. Durango, Yukon. Not sure what the console codenames were for project Scorpio.
How weird is it that in picking two completely different sources for codenames, small towns in Arkansas and Shakespearean names, that we end up with a name that fits both and confuses the hell out of everyone? ;)

Logically though, PS names appear to have been fictional characters inside Billy's works, in which case Arden does not fit. That'd put Arden as an MS/XBox thing.

How weird is it that in picking two completely different sources for codenames, small towns in Arkansas and Shakespearean names, that we end up with a name that fits both and confuses the hell out of everyone? ;)

Logically though, PS names appear to have been fictional characters inside Billy's works, in which case Arden does not fit. That'd put Arden as an MS/XBox thing.

I figured the Xbox 1 and Xb1x BC modes in the Github test cases for Arden would make it clear, but people are really fixed on the Arden is related to PS5 due to Shakespeare.

Yes, that would. TBH I have little ability to follow all these codenames and numbers - I guess I'm just not that invested. ;)

This thread is like a south american soap opera where nothing happens, and someone repeats the basic concepts again and again

Maybe it is better to wait reveal. They aren't far or if no one do reveal before GDC and I doubt it, just wait all the juicy post GDC leak.

That broad a range leaves some uncertainty on how it aligns with the apparent mention of bvh64 in AMD's LLVM commit. The upper date limit for the last-saved information puts them after the LLVM changes, which doesn't reinforce the usefulness of those lines as much as if it were certain they were around longer and were sourced from an undeniably private source.
Some of the data points we are connecting do step on the usual practice in other parts of the discipline.
For example, the tying of PCI ID values to specific chips or steppings doesn't fully make sense and might mean some of the inferences are spurious. The choice of PCI ID values on their own doesn't quite compute, since it seems to strand the supposed Ariel ID in the middle of the the SOC range, and the narrative tacks on two separate IGP IDs that normally could have just taken its slot.
The way they just increment the last ID from the SOC range seems sloppy, and more like someone looked at the public PCI ID range and incremented rather than the more planned-out ID allocation actual products have.
That could be an indication that these values can be messier during internal development, but it could also mean some of these points are misleading.
I wouldn't say with absolute certainty Ariel/Oberon PCI IDs are correct. That is, I would only say 13F9 for Oberon is correct, as we have its reference directly matching in Flute and Userbenchmark unnamed GPU 13F9:OBR:A0.

13E9 was earliest one, reported in PCI ID back in Feb 2019. This site is maintained by volunteers so it might not be 100% correct (for example, in PS4 case there is "Liverpool" APU, but also "Thebe")

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1022/13e9

Name: Ariel Internal GPU

T4CFantasy

2019-02-07 11:22:57

Ariel/Oberon relationship is still weird to me as it seems AMD used Ariel iGPU spec test lists as source for regression tests for Oberon, while destination of regression test results was specific generated Excel spreadsheet:

Source :

Sheetname
ARI-SPEC-iGPU-TestList.xlsx > Oberon_A0_Postsilicon_vs_Pre columns M/P
ARI-SPEC-iGPU-TestList.xlsx > Oberon_A0_Postsilicon_vs_Pre columns U/X
ARI-SPEC-iGPU-TestList.xlsx > Oberon_A0_Postsilicon_vs_Pre columns B/H

Destination :

Sheetname
Oberon_a0_regression_results_BC1.xlsm columns D/L
Oberon_a0_regression_results_BC2.xlsm columns D/L
Oberon_a0_regression_results_Native.xlsm columns D/L

Phison claiming they're not supplying Sony for the PS5 doesn't mean Sony didn't order a hundred controllers to put into their devkits.

In actual news, Playstation Europe's twitter account just changed their description to:

It's time to play.

Expect updates on PlayStation, PS4, PS5, PS VR, PlayStation Store and more.

It's time to play is the slogan that the 4chan leak claimed that Sony would be using for their February 5th reveal.

So you are absolutely 100% sure the PS5 is 9.2TF as the github leak indicates?
Enough to say nobody should speculate anything else?

Anything or anyone who dares to slightly deviate from the information that is deduced from a bunch of excel files with zero context given a.k.a. The Gospel is heresy and must be punished with mockery, FUD and discredit campaigns.
Oh and apparently those excel files without context are now claimed to be better clues than the friggin official Sony presentation slides for Neo with all the specs perfectly described, that leaked before release. Or the X360 architecture schematics.
Fantastic.

A single sentence from the OsirisBlack heretic who's info must obviously be false because he says The Gospel doesn't tell the full story so we must nitpick all the words he writes:

OsirisBlack said:
I’m pretty confident MS first year will be stronger than Sony’s.

This is standard tactic to mellow down the side that doesn't believe you duo to their own bias by throwing them a bone.

I think there's got to be someone at MS and Sony asking themselves :

Surely we can track down a guy from GAF that is posting unbelievable amount of info on next gen consoles 24/7 and providing people with following :

• TF, CU, clock speeds, BW numbers (for both consoles)
  • Memory types
  • Announcement strategy
  • Conference dates
  • Game development status from multiple studios
  • Future studio acquisitions
  • Price points
  • Launch title games
  • etc.

I mean, who could realistically know all this? Got to be Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan, but writing it on GAF together while chatting on discord, since posted details are concerning both consoles. Its incredible amount of knowledge this guy has...Plus, he is willing to share it for months on GAF, must be really humble.

Last edited:
Phison claiming they're not supplying Sony for the PS5 doesn't mean Sony didn't order a hundred controllers to put into their devkits.

In actual news, Playstation Europe's twitter account just changed their description to:

It's time to play is the slogan that the 4chan leak claimed that Sony would be using for their February 5th reveal.

Anything or anyone who dares to slightly deviate from the information that is deduced from a bunch of excel files with zero context given a.k.a. The Gospel is heresy and must be punished with mockery, FUD and discredit campaigns.
Oh and apparently those excel files without context are now claimed to be better clues than the friggin official Sony presentation slides for Neo with all the specs perfectly described, that leaked before release. Or the X360 architecture schematics.
Fantastic.

I've seen that slogan on the side of a bus a while ago. It's not THAT new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back