Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone so afraid of the TF number PS5 is going to get, that it will be too low etc. Im more concerned about the way Sony went with all those remasters. The generation of the remasters.... Yeah nice for some titles but comon. With both sharing the same x86 arch we might end up with another or even wrose remaster gen. We need to think that it will be another 7 years, without counting remasters we will see maybe 10 games again, of the higher budget AAA variants.

Everyone so afraid of the TF number PS5 is going to get, that it will be too low etc. Im more concerned about the way Sony went with all those remasters. The generation of the remasters.... Yeah nice for some titles but comon. With both sharing the same x86 arch we might end up with another or even wrose remaster gen. We need to think that it will be another 7 years, without counting remasters we will see maybe 10 games again, of the higher budget AAA variants.
I am afraid that the TF number will be so high that the console takes over my smart home. Regarding to many remasters, I don't believe that will be much of an issue. With PS4 BC I think there will be some kind of boost mode. If we see some remasters I think they will be from the PS3 era.

Yeah, BC largely mitigates the value of remasters for PS4 games. And if the games are that close to the PS4, they won't take a full AAA budget of time nor money to make, leaving plenty for the major titles.

I think the main reason for less titles isn't devs targeting remasters (aren't these largely handled by other teams like BluePoint?) but games being bigger and more expensive and time consuming to make, and that'll only increase with more capable machines. The more powerful the console, the less games you'll get! Count yourself lucky Dreams was targeting PS4 specs as if it was targeting PS5 specs, it wouldn't be out until PS6/7.

My concern is an overall conditioning of the market to never buy anything, and just stick to subscriptions. I've yet to hear an artist talk positively about Spotify, so I fear that this trend isn't good for the artists in any creative industry.

OK, fair enough. Do you have similar feelings about game sharing and trade-ins, though, which both also deprive artists of revenue?

For my part, I tend to favor whatever is in my best interest and let the market sort out what is sustainable.

You are too modest. 54 CU's in base model for 12,5 TF and 108 CU's in Pro for 25 TF celebrating 25th Playstation anniversary!!!;)

I'm using what we have on the GitHub leak.

And although speculation, this was mentioned as reality in June 2019. Funny was that they mentioned 36 CUs X 2 and at that time, no one knew how many CUs were in Oberon.

The original article did mentioned lower clock speeds and was not accurate if there was a second APU or just a second GPU. Total flops were 14.2 at that time.

And although speculation, this was mentioned as reality in June 2019. Funny was that they mentioned 36 CUs X 2 and at that time, no one knew how many CUs were in Oberon.

The original article did mentioned lower clock speeds and was not accurate if there was a second APU or just a second GPU. Total flops were 14.2 at that time.
My post wasn't meant to bring you out, it was just for fun. You mentioned "wildly speculate" though:D

But we don't have that in Github leak. There is no article, its pure data dump from Oberon B0 regression test, a chip we know was almost certainly designed for next gen Playstation. It contains 3 modes :

GEN0 - 0.8GHz 176GB/s 18CUs
GEN1 - 0.911GHz 217,6GB/s 36CUs
GEN2 - 2.0GHZ 530GB/s 36CUs

Now, from B0 stepping to current E0 (?), things could have changed. But I seriously, seriously doubt they added additional cluster of 20CUs, new front end and, well, redesigned entire chip. What is far more likely is that they are optimizing the chip which will have to hit high clocks at acceptable TDP and good yields. And will have to do it soon.

2.0GHz Navi in console APU certainly sounds tall order, but given that we have a legit confirmation of such chip existing, it would possibly be for best to take it at face value and assume these revisions are done in order to get most out of it.

Again, I have yet to hear of chip going through 5-6 steppings that resulted in completely different chip. I remember old Intels and Athlons going to G1 revision, but it resulted in higher clocks, lower wattage and less bugs, not additional 2 cores.

Why are Sony this late this gen compared to MS ? Usually AFAIK it's the contrary. But they are really going to be just in time this time.

Why are Sony this late this gen compared to MS ? Usually AFAIK it's the contrary. But they are really going to be just in time this time.
They seemed to be ahead with respect to getting revised dev kits out to developers. Maybe their APU has gone through more revisions as it needs to hit the highest clock or maybe they’re just playing it cagey on the PR side of things and want MS to release as much info as possible so they can modify their own message accordingly. Pre-orders aren’t out yet so they’re not loosing any sales, if they come out with better info at a later date all the positive PR MS have gained recently will be forgotten in a heartbeat.

What do you mean late? MS just did a early December reveal which is crazy early. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with behind the scenes timelines.

Also worth noting I've read a few inside baseball things that Keighley had to really work to convince initially reticent MS executives to do the reveal on his show. Otherwise I assume they would have waited until February or so as well.

Basically MS has just been very aggressive posting info, which actually they tend to be going back to Xbox One X, while Sony has not.

If anything, Sony dev kits obviously seem more complete and prevalent in the wild for a long time. I haven't seen a quote "Xbox series X" dev kit yet.

I still chalk many things up to the fact at the end of the day one is a Japanese corporation and there's some culture and language barrier there to us (it would be reverse if we lived in Japan, of course). Microsoft is much more likely to be in touch with a Digital Foundry, for example. We can look at MS executives tweets natively, etc.

UNLESS you are referring to the fact apparently the Sony github chip went through a lot of revisions supposedly?

Last edited:
They seemed to be ahead with respect to getting revised dev kits out to developers. Maybe their APU has gone through more revisions as it needs to hit the highest clock or maybe they’re just playing it cagey on the PR side of things and want MS to release as much info as possible so they can modify their own message accordingly. Pre-orders aren’t out yet so they’re not loosing any sales, if they come out with better info at a later date all the positive PR MS have gained recently will be forgotten in a heartbeat.

The only PR that matters is the Flops (TM).

Its all about perspective.

If Oberon is final chip, and if PS5 was 9.2TF Navi with RT, 8 core Zen2 and 16GB of GDDR6, it would be almost a match for best performing AMD stock gaming rigs. If Arden is actually 12TF of RDNA, then it would be comfortably fastest AMD GPU on the market.

So, in both cases we would get MUCH more then we did back in 2014 or 2016, but only this time one console would go above and beyond of what is expected of consoles considering TDP constraints and form factor. If both are around that number then thats astonishing.

People really aren't aware AMD is going to launch some high end PC GPU's before November 2020, almost certainly? The consoles will certainly not be the most powerful AMD GPU's available. That's silly.

If Scarlett is what, 56, there will be a 64CU "Full fat" clocked high as hell that you cant do in console, RX 6700XT or something. A 64 CU AMD Navi chip has long been expected. It's just always delayed. I really hope not due to HBM, but I have my suspicions (it's once again basically confirmed by leaks to use HBM)

I think we are going to be very disappointed. Someone's "language" in this forum implied as such

People really aren't aware AMD is going to launch some high end PC GPU's before November 2020, almost certainly? The consoles will certainly not be the most powerful AMD GPU's available. That's silly.

If Scarlett is what, 56, there will be a 64CU "Full fat" clocked high as hell that you cant do in console, RX 6700XT or something. A 64 CU AMD Navi chip has long been expected. It's just always delayed. I really hope not due to HBM, but I have my suspicions (it's once again basically confirmed by leaks to use HBM)
Well, yea, we have to assume by October AMD will release big Navi (rumored to be 80CU part), probably 60CU one as well. I doubt its gonna be 64CU part, think its more likely to be 3 x 10WGPs for Scarlett, as well as big Navis. I am just saying that, compared to last time around, these consoles will be much closer to what AMD provides in high PC market.

As for how feasible 36CUs at 2.0GHz will be next year, I think inability to get those clocks in console are a bit overblown tbh.

5700XT with 40CUs and average frequency of ~1.85GHz is at 204W. 5700 with 36CUs and average frequency of 1750MHz is well down at 162W.

For comparison sake, a GPU found in Xbox One X is just 15W down on full Navi 10 at 191W.

Can AMD deliver such a chip in console releasing in November next year, on improved node (which gives you straight ~10% lower TDP at same clocks without changes to hardware design)? I absolutely think so. Think next years AMDs cards on 7nm will clock well, well above 2.0GHz.

index.php

Last edited:
Of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back