Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

2. RDGoodla

Regular Newcomer

I don't know if anyone discussed this, but PS4 Pro sells worse than x1x especially in USA.

This may teach SONY that $100 cheaper price may have little effect if there is large performance gap.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

Look at the picture in the article. What is the first sentence describing the features?

"12 Teraflops"

If Bloomberg is true Sony's cooling solution is cheap then "narrow and fast" design may really be both faster and cheaper.

Sony even just pushes GPU to 11TF that's enough for them and they can save billions of dollars with "narrow and fast"
    design (PS5 BOM $450, Xsx $460~$520).

Sony designed a 190W PS3 in 2006. A 190W RDNA2 console with 9TF is in the typical power range for them.

Since Bloomberg points out an "unusually expensive" cooling solution in PS5, the power consumption should probably
    be the highest in all Sony's consoles. PS5 is probably 230W (or more) which is > 11TF (at least 44CUs).

3. Mskx

Newcomer

Whatever their power consumption is i would certainly hope the cooling is not the "usual" for what Playstation has been doing, their noise situation has really been bad this generation.

PSman1700 likes this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

hmm, i've never seen the numbers so I suppose that is news to me. I think even if hte ratio is still 1:7, the number of playstations sold 3:1 over xbox should put it ahead of X1X.
    //edit new calculation that is correct
    Quick math:
    Assume PS4s sold is 300,000 for the month
    7:1 => Out of 300,000 PS4s, 37500 is 4Pro
    PS4 : XBO is 3:1
    so that would be for this particular month 300,000 : 100,000
    so if Xbox only sells 100,000
    then the split to sell more X1X than 4Pro must be
    62500 : 37500
    or 1.67 : 1

X1S : X1X ratio needs to be 1.67 : 1 in order for there to be more X1X sold than 4Pros per month.
    This is a very tall order.

But with respect to the commentary, we have to compare PS4 to 4Pro and XBO to X1X.
    I think comparing 4Pro to X1X directly ignores the elephant in the room, which is that the gap between 1S and 1X is 2x the difference between 4 and 4Pro.
    Further, the backwards compatibility games are upgraded as well. There are a variety of reasons to get 1X over 1S that (are a result of straight power) but MS put in the effort to make 1X shine vs 1S.

I don't know if the difference between 4 and 4Pro is so pronounced to overcome the price differential for the playstation market.

#8184 iroboto, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    turkey likes this.
  5. disco_

Regular Newcomer

What a crap shoot this thread has become.
    Any source for this? Pretty sure Zhuge said the opposite.

goonergaz likes this.
  6. goonergaz

Veteran

maybe ratio of XB vs PS consoles or MS sell 1:1 S:X and Sony 2:1 PS4: pro?

7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

4:4pro said it was unchanged from original announcement 7:1
    Keeping that number is pretty good.

MS never released their numbers as far as I know.

8. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

All the options have been exhausted, so now all we can do is wait

goonergaz likes this.
  9. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

What you think Sony will claim with a potentionally faster SSD? 3.7Gb/s, versus lets say 2.7Gb/s xbox. Doubt anyone would care about that either. Casual consumers, which most of them are on switch and playstation, don't understand those meanings, they read 'Faster' instead. If anything.

I doubt any of you PS4 users are not going to buy a PS5 just because it has 'just' 9TF of GPU power? Exactly, you buy it because of brand-name, if you more tech oriented people already basically don't care, why would the average joe?

10. chris1515

Legend Regular

First the SSD on Xbox will be 3.75 GB/s and I continue with my over 7 GB/s for PS5.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alleg...PCIe-4-0-SSD-details-get-leaked.451042.0.html

[​IMG]

And first things SSD did it is kill the high res texture pack at 4k on PS5 and probably on Xbox Series X:
    https://www.psu.com/news/martha-is-dead-dev-impressed-by-ps5s-previously-unannounced-texel-density/

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP

Explanation about texture density. 1 texel per pixel you can't do better.

#8190 chris1515, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    DSoup and disco_ like this.
  11. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

I just took an example of what Sony sony could advertise with, just threw some numbers. As per your 7Gb/s claim, no idea, but i still think XSX and PS5 will have the same solutions, just like with the RT debate. Exotic solutions rarely come to light, and when they did/do, it only results in less-usage by games except for first party studios. Another, you can't replace GDDR6 or even DDR ram with an SSD even if it would be 7gb/s.

Oh and, that article is there to hype things up, it is abit like AMD or Nvidia claiming 50% increases in areas which never come true anyway. The article doesn't state any numbers we can work with, just that it is incredible and powerfull, 'never seen before' performance etc. We had that with every generation so far.
    But you are right the average customer does read articles like that, and get hyped. They dont care about tech specs, they care about 'faster'. Perfect example you gave :)

12. chris1515

Legend Regular

You know what streaming means it is good to have assets in memory but you are as slow as your slowest part and you need to load the assets in memory, here it load so fast you can have maximum textures quality.

#8192 chris1515, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    KeanuReeves likes this.
  13. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

So now with the PS5 the Life of Black Tiger can actually have textures?

Mitchings, JPT, KeanuReeves and 5 others like this.
  14. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Very true, SSD will greatly enhance things besides loading times, but don't expect a world difference to graphical engineering either. On the other hand, the SSD is probably the biggest improvement after the CPU.

15. chris1515

Legend Regular

lol and the comment comes from an indie dev, it just means PS5 and XSX can have perfect texture in 4k no need for high quality texture pack at 4k, that's all.

This is maybe only a first application for the SSD maybe they can do more than have high-quality texture pack and load tons of geometry maybe they will be baked offline some crazy stuff and be able to load it in realtime.

Mitchings and BRiT like this.
  16. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

I sure hope we wont need texture packs for ps5/xsx lol.

17. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

It's almost like the github data is incomplete, fragmentary, filled with errors, lacking context and not actually proof of anything.

Mitchings and KeanuReeves like this.
  18. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

And yet it's still more informative than the Insiders.

JPT, Silenti, Proelite and 2 others like this.
  19. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Informative of what? The wikipedia page on blue whales is also informative. Doesn't mean we can discern final PS5 specs from it.

20. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Was it not the work of an intern?

PSman1700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.