Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KirkSi

Newcomer

I think the sentiment was that the 5th of Feb was mentioned by quite a few of the 'insiders'. You're right things change, but it's not good for said insiders other information. If they had inside information of the reveal being on the 5th then surely their sources would've told them of the change as well and they'd have passed it on. Saying 'I know I previously said that the reveal was on the 5th but my sources are now saying that's changed and the new date is the 30th' would've corroborated their sources. As far as I know none of them did that so their info is looking more and more like the BS I suspected it was.

There seem to be two camps developing here. Those who believe the cold, hard data of the github leak and those that prefer to believe so called 'insiders'. Personally I'll take the data, while accepting that it doesn't tell the whole story due to the lack of context for the tests.

PSman1700 and milk like this.
  2. chris1515

Legend Regular

No at least Klee was precise in a private message to someone at era* he said end of February but like I said things can change maybe Sony want for any reason to reveal after Microsoft. We don't know. This is strange to reveal after GDC where everything will leak.

* The guy showed a screenshot

3. chris1515

Legend Regular

People need to understand why the stupid idea of a Ps4 Pro 2 emerge. Imagine in 2019 Sony would have sold 20 millions PS4, there was no reason to change of generation.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-08-19-we-dont-know-why-ps4-is-selling-yoshida

This is why if they like sucess they want to know the reason the console sold well.

#6143 chris1515, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Has a life of its own

upnorthsox likes this.
  5. KirkSi

Newcomer

I Didn't specifically say Klee. Don't know if he was the first to mention the date but I've seen it confirmed by so many other so called 'insiders' I've lost track.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  6. chris1515

Legend Regular

But the other aren't very trustable on my side. If for example someone did not give his real identity I would not believe him if he is not verified by a trustable system. A least Klee give his real identity at least he has some credibility. I don't believe anyone saying some vague things about PS5 or PS5 reveal out of Jason Schreier, some mod of era known for working in the industry, or people verified working in the industry .

And after someone working in the industry they can have outdated data for example working in a third party is not the same things than someone working in first party. Someone working for a third party on a launch title with a devkit does not have the same information than someone working on a third party having just presentation of the hardware by platform holder and detailed speec sheet.

The best information can only come from Mark Cerny, some high level people at AMD and Sony executives, they know even better than people working in first party studios. But they have better things to do than leak information.

No tidux, no tommy fisher or other fake,no GAF "insider" or all other shit...

EDIT: For example I gave a very precise information about the SSD I hear about the PS5 faster than 7 GB/s easy to verify the day of reveal. And maybe my data is outdated but from what I know it means the SSD goes faster than what someone told me and it is very hard to believe.

#6146 chris1515, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    BRiT likes this.
  7. chris1515

Legend Regular

For example in the first january Xbox leak we have the outdated information about the Xbox SSD speed of 1 GB/s, after Windows central the day of The Games Aswards said SSD up to 2 GB/s this is data devs have in their hands but a leak from a linkedin profile of someone working at Phison show the real SSD to be very fast 3600 MB/s of read speed and the decision was made before August 2019.

Developers too can have out of date information and this is not a problem if it is not a downgrade. In this case this is a problem because the target of dev would been higher than real hardware.

8. upnorthsox

Veteran

Who? Please provide links as I saw no "insiders" that actually gave that date. If it's so many you've lost track then you should be able to come up with 5 no problem. Please do.

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

10. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

It wouldn´t be that strange that Sony in the early stages of development pitched the idea of a jaguar based PS5.

It happened last gen, Ms studied the feasibility of an ARM Xbox one, and PS4 was expected to use excavator cores. Then market conditions, engineering realities, developers assistance, etc make possible one design over competing possibilities. Both companies at that time valued the most integration and the natural selection was AMD, This ruled out at that time ARM, and as jaguar was integrated already in a soc, so no excavator in launch time-frame

A jaguar based PS5 would had been a really tiny core, and would give an easy route for BC, coupled with a fast SSD, It would had been a killing value proposition in 2019, But things change, developers wanting a more capable CPU, RT becoming a reality in the marker in 2018, would choose one design over other, anyway this is old news at this time, only a thorough post-mortem of the PS5 would give us some insight.

Proelite likes this.
  11. KirkSi

Newcomer

I think it started with a leaker on 4Chan that now seems to be deleted: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...y_doesnt_give_weight_to_massive_next-gen_leak
    Then it was mentioned by ‘respected leaker’ Tidux: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-reveal-date-and-location-hinted-at-by-respected-leaker/
    Two more trusted sources say early feb in this article: https://bgr.com/2020/01/16/ps5-release-date-launch-event-set-for-february-two-insiders-say/
    In post 4856 of this thread David Scott Jaffa on the 16th of Jan tweeted that the PS5 reveal was less than 4 weeks away which puts it early Feb. Post 5003 was a link to a reddit leaker stating Feb 5th (article now deleted) and in post 5323 Zhuge and OsirisBlack are mentioned stating 5th Feb.
    Very recent tweet from MBG (PlayStation YouTuber) stating ‘verified sources’ that 2-5-2020 event is on (if you don’t use the American date system that’s the 5th of Feb):

turkey and BRiT like this.
  12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How incompatible is Zen with Jaguar? It's x86 - Zen should run everything a Jaguar does, and an i5, and a Pentium Core-2-Duo, and an Athlon64, and an 8086, as long as you aren't writing machine code.

13. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

Depends on if the devs are doing an optimizations that abuse timing related things maybe. Zen supports everything Jaguar supports as far as instructions are concerned I think.

TheAlSpark and BRiT like this.
  14. Scott_Arm

Legend

I can't imagine devs are strongly coupling things to cpu timing anymore. I could be wrong, but I thought that was a lesson learned a long time ago.

BRiT and DSoup like this.
  15. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

In the 1980s. :yep2:

16. VitaminB6

Regular Newcomer

Your math skills > my math skills

17. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

“Varified” sources are the best.

yoowul, Malo, KirkSi and 3 others like this.
  18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

And yet still happened in the PS360 generation. ;) (taking advantage of hardware bugs or timings)

Silent_Buddha, BRiT and DSoup like this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Probably made by folks who did not learn this lesson in the 1980s/1990s! A lot of folks learn not to do something by doing something they later wish they hadn't. :yes:

20. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

That's because they weren't born yet.

:|

:mrgreen:

BRiT and DSoup like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.