[B3D] Summary of Famitsu Awards

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Elegible: all games released in Japan between 2006-01-01 and 2006-12-31
Based on 31.933 votes cast by Famitsu readers a committee awarded the actual prizes.

Main categories:

Game of the Year:
  • Final Fantasy XII (PS2, Square Enix)
    Release: 16.03.06
  • Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
    Release: 28.09.06
Special Categories:

Best Newcomer
  • Blue Dragon (Xbox 360, Microsoft/Mistwalker)
    Release: 07.12.06
Biggest Hit:
  • Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
    Release: 28.09.06
Most Innovative:
  • Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)
    Release: 02.12.06
Prize for Excellence:

Best Rearrangement:

• New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
    Release: 25.05.06
High Performance:
  • Zelda no Densetsu: Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)
Best Dramatic Production:
  • Ryu ga Gotoku 2 [Yakuza 2] (PS2, Sega)
    Release: 07.12.06
Best Game Design:
  • Okami (PS2, Capcom)
    Release: 20.04.06
Best Multiplayer:
  • Monster Hunter 2 (PS2, Capcom)
    Release: 16.02.06
Big Impact:
  • Dead Rising (X360, Capcom)
    Release: 28.9.2006
Best Portable:
  • Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (PSP, Konami)
    Release: 21.12.06
Best RPG:
  • Persona 3 (PS2, Atlus)
    Release: 13.07.06
Most Influential / Powerful Person:
  • Hironobu Sakaguchi (Mistwalker)
Game Company of the Year:
  • Nintendo

Source:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/20/103,1177037473,70570,0,0.html

Translation Note:
The titles have been somewhat adapted to make them sound more English

EDIT:
Stupid me. I forgot the source!

"High performance?"

Zelda: TP Wii version?

What kind of drugs do they got in japan? Must be better than what we got in europe.

Matt Casamassina is not going to happy when he'll see that Okami got the best game design award.

More seriously, it's always interesting to see that even the Japanese hardcore gaming crowd are not much open to western designed games.
The only interesting form of opening to the western gaming world is that they elected a few X360 games and named Sakaguchi most influencial industry person of the year.

By the way, I edited the post layout to make it a bit more readable.

I was going to also question the
Best Rearrangement:
New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
Release: 25.05.06
High Performance:
Zelda no Densetsu: Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo)

What the heck is best rearrangement? Like remake? NSMB is not a remake is it?

Also two best games? And another separated category for best portable? Famitsu is chicken out.

And FF12 won best game but not best RPG? You got to be kidding me. It's like a Famitsu "annual best advertisers award."

What the heck is best rearrangement? Like remake? NSMB is not a remake is it?

Well, that's what they called it ;-) Seriously, it means taking proven assets and putting them in a new context. It can be a remake, but it could also be another 2d Mario in 3d.

Also two best games? And another separated category for best portable? Famitsu is chicken out.

And FF12 won best game but not best RPG? You got to be kidding me. It's like a Famitsu "annual best advertisers award."

I don't make the rules. :p However, not every GOTY needs to win its genre category as well.

I think it's cool they awarded the 360 several prizes.

Maybe everything ISN'T lost after all? Maybe they'll reach some sort of critical mass eventually, and winning some Famitsu awards and getting recognition from one of the biggest gaming magazines in Japan won't exactly hurt. :cool:

And Sega's making Yakuza games and good ones by the looks of it! Why don't we see that here in the west?

Peace.

"High performance?"

Zelda: TP Wii version?

What kind of drugs do they got in japan? Must be better than what we got in europe.

Might be a reference to what they consider is the best use of hardware and not exactly the most graphically impressive game.

Might be a reference to what they consider is the best use of hardware and not exactly the most graphically impressive game.

What exactly do you mean best "use" of hardware? Do you mean it like, Zelda is the best game, so using the wii to play it, is the best usage of the wii?

Or do you mean like, Zelda's performance on the Wii is impressive?

Because the latter, wouldn't make sense, as the Gamecube version surely is more impressive techinically, due to the fact that its looking the same and running on worse hardware

Maybe everything ISN'T lost after all? Maybe they'll reach some sort of critical mass eventually, and winning some Famitsu awards and getting recognition from one of the biggest gaming magazines in Japan won't exactly hurt.
Famitsu's not representative of the Japanese gaming industry. We've seen surveys on Famitsu with like 28% or whatever substantial figure it was interested in getting an XB360, but that same percentage of the Japanese market hasn't bought it.

Like all these mags, it represents the views of its readers and editors. Different mags (and different awards) will go to different people. It's nice to get awards, and perhaps clean sweeps are indicative of something. But they don't show much info in the grand scheme of things. A film winning an Oscar for best Actress doesn't mean the film will go on to great box-office sales. Or even that that actress really was the best actress that year - a subjective opinion. XB360 can be pleased they got recognition, but it doesn't indicate 'hope' for the platform. Winning awards doesn't naturally lead on to winning sales.

What exactly do you mean best "use" of hardware? Do you mean it like, Zelda is the best game, so using the wii to play it, is the best usage of the wii?

Or do you mean like, Zelda's performance on the Wii is impressive?

Because the latter, wouldn't make sense, as the Gamecube version surely is more impressive techinically, due to the fact that its looking the same and running on worse hardware

I was thinking the latter, enough though it does not make sense in context with the Gamecube, but who knows if the Gamecube was even considered. I took it to simply mean the best visuals in regard to the hardware, and not strictly the best visuals.

Why ?
I don't know anything about these games (i mean game mechanics), but i have the feelings, given what people say, that they are indeed "good games".

I enjoyed the card game, and the cartoon had its moments. I think the idea is a bit long in the tooth now, but there's plenty to commend it. Haven't played any of the computer games though.

Back