B3D skin SLOW

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
It appears that the B3D skin loads the banner ads first, whereas the vBulletin skin loads it after the page. The result is that slow banner access can really bog down the B3D skin. I've switched back to vBulletin as a result. I just typed this whole thing and there's still no banner ad loaded so I'd be waiting this whole time for the B3D skin.

Strange.

Thanks for the hint of changing skin. The forum has been unusable quite a few times the last weeks because of the technet ads server not responding. (Using FF as well) I wish the ads would be pulled after DOM load, so we didn't have to wait on external ad servers.

Agreed.
~30 second timeout on www2.techreport.com before any content is displayed.
Luckily I have my hosts-file handy for blackholing.

The TR ad system is getting a performance overhaul soon, so the ad-based slowdowns should all but disappear. Please don't blackhole the server since the ad revenue pays for bills and time used for keeping the site going.

I'll have a look at post-loading them after the content shows up, but that might not happen.

Rys said:
I'll have a look at post-loading them after the content shows up, but that might not happen.

Since the other skin is fine (has always remained my preferred skin anyway), it should be possible to make the B3D skin behave the same ...

It's definitely possible, it's just whether or not it fits into the time I have.

Any chance of having the text for links not camouflaged?
[Flawed attempt deleted]

Edit: Whoops... That had some unintended effects (only had a three second peak with the DOM-inspector and vBulletin styles are a bit of a mess). But the principle of style overrides is sound... ;)

This one seems workable. Change color and add other anchor style options to suit.
Code:
/* userContent.css */
@-moz-document domain(forum.beyond3d.com) {
  DIV[id^=post_message] A { color: pink ! important;}
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Back