Avowed [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Didn't want to clutter up the first post with speculation and rumors.

Here is a great deep dive into the trailer including information about pillars of eternity

Also as for rumors

As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains “spore-like” creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

I'm extremely excited for this as the pillar games were fun. The rumor is the first party view at the end of the trailer is real time. If so it does look quite beautiful. This game is not an xbox one game at this time.

That lead to this exchange on twitter

A late 2022/23 game supporting the Xbox one is a real bummer. I get crossgen for 2020 and 2021, but for a potentially 2023 game? Yuck

Pretty sure this one is not

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't attempt to ship it on XBO, after all it's coming to PC as well so much of the work needed to port it to a lower spec'd system will already have been done.

Targetting next gen systems does not mean a game can't run on XBO with suitable adjustments. The XBO version could look pretty bad though. AKA - PC low settings in a game can look pretty dire compared to what you get as standard on consoles.

Regards,
SB

They'll likely have an xCloud client for Xbox One family and support these Game Pass games that way by late 2022 to early 2023. No sense in spending significant engineering efforts when an easy solution exists.

The problem is really scaling to the XO cpu. (HDD and gpu feature level and power added headache)
It will only be worth the hassle by that point if its not a big deal to get it to run on it anyway.
Otherwise they can either upgrade to XSS or stream it, so they will have options.
Even if streaming isn't ideal.

Is there an Era link to this rumor?
Sorry I don't go to that forum

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't attempt to ship it on XBO, after all it's coming to PC as well so much of the work needed to port it to a lower spec'd system will already have been done.

Targetting next gen systems does not mean a game can't run on XBO with suitable adjustments. The XBO version could look pretty bad though. AKA - PC low settings in a game can look pretty dire compared to what you get as standard on consoles.

Regards,
SB

I dunno lets assume 2023 at that time is there any reason to put it out on xbox one ? Thats entering the 3rd year of next gen. Even on pc you can require higher core counts and newer gpus if your making a higher end game. They could require an 8 core cpu with gtx 20x0 series and navi 2 on the pc side for all we know

for xbox one they will most likely just have it run through xcloud for anyone still on an xbox one

Sorry I don't go to that forum

I dunno lets assume 2023 at that time is there any reason to put it out on xbox one ? Thats entering the 3rd year of next gen. Even on pc you can require higher core counts and newer gpus if your making a higher end game. They could require an 8 core cpu with gtx 20x0 series and navi 2 on the pc side for all we know

for xbox one they will most likely just have it run through xcloud for anyone still on an xbox one

It depends, there were a fair few people still gaming on X360 after 3 years of the XBO being out. If they don't release on XBO it'll be purely a business decision and unlikely to be a technical decision.

Regards,
SB

It depends, there were a fair few people still gaming on X360 after 3 years of the XBO being out. If they don't release on XBO it'll be purely a business decision and unlikely to be a technical decision.

Regards,
SB
99% if the time it will be the reverse of that.
As you have a bigger addressable market if you include XO, but technically harder.

Regards,
SB
i'd wager it depends on if they can port it down. I believe that MS talked about it being up to the devs of the game if they want to put in the effort to put it on past gen systems. So I guess the lazy way would be to get rid of ray tracing and dump the resolution down to 720p ?

MS already has Xcloud running on x64. It should be easy to get it running on the xbox one. So at that point maybe try and turn the older systems into streaming systems ?

i'd wager it depends on if they can port it down. I believe that MS talked about it being up to the devs of the game if they want to put in the effort to put it on past gen systems. So I guess the lazy way would be to get rid of ray tracing and dump the resolution down to 720p ?

It's be quite surprising if they're not using nanite/lumin given their release timeframe. Guess we'll get an idea of how simple down porting is for those next year.

14389215084690075326.jpg

Seems like its going well. Wonder if we see some game play at e3

I am super excited to see what Obsidian can do with full and stable funding in addition to however much time they require to finish the title. Something they have almost never had. Many of their previously releases have been incomplete due to time and money constraints. Even the Outer Worlds had serious budget limitations due to MS only acquiring them towards the end of Outer Worlds' development.

I'm curious if they have a large AAA style development team now, or if they are still working with a AA to low AAA sized development team?

Regards,
SB

I am super excited to see what Obsidian can do with full and stable funding in addition to however much time they require to finish the title. Something they have almost never had. Many of their previously releases have been incomplete due to time and money constraints. Even the Outer Worlds had serious budget limitations due to MS only acquiring them towards the end of Outer Worlds' development.

I'm curious if they have a large AAA style development team now, or if they are still working with a AA to low AAA sized development team?

I'm not sure if it was Obsidian or inXile, but when Bootie was doing his "if you could have anything from MGS to make better games, what would it be?", the request was for more animators.

Which isn't fully answering whether they've gone AAA budget, but they will certainly have more resources.

Back