Avowed [XBSX|S, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by eastmen, Jul 28, 2020.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Didn't see a thread for this. Takes place in the pillars of eternity world but first person

I'm super pumped

mr magoo and Silent_Buddha like this.
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Didn't want to clutter up the first post with speculation and rumors.

Here is a great deep dive into the trailer including information about pillars of eternity

Also as for rumors

I'm extremely excited for this as the pillar games were fun. The rumor is the first party view at the end of the trailer is real time. If so it does look quite beautiful. This game is not an xbox one game at this time.

That lead to this exchange on twitter

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Resetera has some leaks

tinokun likes this.
  4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Is there an Era link to this rumor?

5. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

A late 2022/23 game supporting the Xbox one is a real bummer. I get crossgen for 2020 and 2021, but for a potentially 2023 game? Yuck

6. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

That's not confirmed as crossgen. They got all ambiguous about it.

7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Pretty sure this one is not

BRiT likes this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't attempt to ship it on XBO, after all it's coming to PC as well so much of the work needed to port it to a lower spec'd system will already have been done.

Targetting next gen systems does not mean a game can't run on XBO with suitable adjustments. The XBO version could look pretty bad though. AKA - PC low settings in a game can look pretty dire compared to what you get as standard on consoles.

Regards,
    SB

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

They'll likely have an xCloud client for Xbox One family and support these Game Pass games that way by late 2022 to early 2023. No sense in spending significant engineering efforts when an easy solution exists.

mr magoo, AzBat and Jay like this.
  10. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

The problem is really scaling to the XO cpu. (HDD and gpu feature level and power added headache)
    It will only be worth the hassle by that point if its not a big deal to get it to run on it anyway.
    Otherwise they can either upgrade to XSS or stream it, so they will have options.
    Even if streaming isn't ideal.

iroboto likes this.
  11. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Gah I thought this was unavowed then I watched the video then I realized this is avowed

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Sorry I don't go to that forum

I dunno lets assume 2023 at that time is there any reason to put it out on xbox one ? Thats entering the 3rd year of next gen. Even on pc you can require higher core counts and newer gpus if your making a higher end game. They could require an 8 core cpu with gtx 20x0 series and navi 2 on the pc side for all we know

for xbox one they will most likely just have it run through xcloud for anyone still on an xbox one

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It depends, there were a fair few people still gaming on X360 after 3 years of the XBO being out. If they don't release on XBO it'll be purely a business decision and unlikely to be a technical decision.

Regards,
    SB

14. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

99% if the time it will be the reverse of that.
    As you have a bigger addressable market if you include XO, but technically harder.

15. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

i'd wager it depends on if they can port it down. I believe that MS talked about it being up to the devs of the game if they want to put in the effort to put it on past gen systems. So I guess the lazy way would be to get rid of ray tracing and dump the resolution down to 720p ?

MS already has Xcloud running on x64. It should be easy to get it running on the xbox one. So at that point maybe try and turn the older systems into streaming systems ?

16. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

It's be quite surprising if they're not using nanite/lumin given their release timeframe. Guess we'll get an idea of how simple down porting is for those next year.

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

[​IMG]

Seems like its going well. Wonder if we see some game play at e3

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

this is the title I'm looking forward to the most. PoE is a grand universe with a lot of heavy topics. Almost done PoE2 here 41 hours in, I'm just stoked for Avowed now

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I am super excited to see what Obsidian can do with full and stable funding in addition to however much time they require to finish the title. Something they have almost never had. Many of their previously releases have been incomplete due to time and money constraints. Even the Outer Worlds had serious budget limitations due to MS only acquiring them towards the end of Outer Worlds' development.

I'm curious if they have a large AAA style development team now, or if they are still working with a AA to low AAA sized development team?

Regards,
    SB

mr magoo and eastmen like this.
  20. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I'm not sure if it was Obsidian or inXile, but when Bootie was doing his "if you could have anything from MGS to make better games, what would it be?", the request was for more animators.

Which isn't fully answering whether they've gone AAA budget, but they will certainly have more resources.