Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

I'm not sure why people are downplaying this incredible looking trailer just because it is an in-game cinematic showcase. Everyone and their grandmother was going ape shit over Forbidden West's first new trailer and the majority of screenshots/videos of R&C are cinematics.

This is not in game cinematic. This is in engine probably offline rendered trailer using game assets. In engine trailer always result to at minimum a little downgrade like Ghost of Tsushima first trailer, Uncharted 4 first teaser, The Division first trailer, The Witcher 3 first trailer, Rainbow Six Siege. In engine trailer doesn't show realime. This is the same for the last Battlefied 6 trailer this is in engine or the first in engine Halo Infinite trailer.

And I don't trust Ubi Soft. This is how UBI downgrade some games.

Last edited:
This is not in game cinematic. This is in engine probably offline rendered trailer using game assets. In engine trailer always result to at minimum a little downgrade like Ghost of Tsushima first trailer, Uncharted 4 first teaser, The Division first trailer, The Witcher 3 first trailer, Rainbow Six Siege. In engine trailer doesn't show realime. This is the same for the last Battlefied 6 trailer this is in engine.

While I agree that UBI and EA have had [prior] tendencies to over-promise with their in-game and offline graphic demos and engine capabilities, they have gotten much (much, much,) better at keeping close to their original demo target renders.

Last edited:
Where did The Division look worse than in it's first trailer? The graphical techniques are the same. The actual game has even more to offer than the first video.

The Avatar game is very ambitious. Here the environment seems very large and the player act freely in the air which is much harder than when characters only stay on the ground.

But I would rather have a military Tom Clancy game than Avatar with glorified Stone Age people. Hunters and gatherers were also not one with nature. That's why there is almost no megafauna left on earth outside Africa. They were wiped out by humans before the Neolithic Revolution.

Last edited:
While I agree that UBI and EA have had [prior] tendencies to over-promise with their in-game and offline line graphic demos and engine capabilities, they have gotten much (much, much,) better at keeping close to their original demo target renders.

I don't think the gap will be as huge as other trailer but I think like all in engine demo, what is perfect will show more weakness when we will see the game and when I don't see the world realtime I have no confidence at all.

This is not in game cinematic. This is in engine probably offline rendered trailer using game assets.
In-game cinematics = rendered in realtime but fixed camera using game assets.

CG cinematics = offline rendered from another renderer like Arnold or Renderman.

You not trusting Ubisoft doesn't detract from the visuals we see here. They are impressive. Period.

In-game cinematics = rendered in realtime but fixed camera using game assets.

CG cinematics = offline rendered from another renderer like Arnold or Renderman.

You not trusting Ubisoft doesn't detract from the visuals we see here.

No this is in engine like for example Uncharted 4 trailer. With realtime renderer you can render offline too. They can render at 1 or even less frame per second and after do a video using the frame you rendered running at 30 or 60 fps. If they want they can render a frame in 24 hours but this is not the usage. This is more like 1 or 2 frames per second and after use the frame to do a video running at a much higher framerate.

This is why Naughty Dog told they treat PS4 as a render farm for the Uncharted 4 teaser.

Last edited:
No this is in engine like for example Uncharted 4 trailer. With realtime renderer you can render offline too. They can render at 1 or even less frame per second and after do a video usinf the frame yourendered running at 30 or 60 fps.

You can't make up your own definitions of what is realtime, in-engine, and cinematics. There is not enough information for you to think this trailer can't be rendered in realtime - especially with a high end PC GPU.

You can't make up your own definitions of what is realtime, in-engine, and cinematics. There is not enough information for you to think this trailer can't be rendered in realtime - especially with a high end PC GPU.

Again if it was realtime, they would have tell it. This is not my own defintion, this is basically what is the definition in the videogame industry. And this is exactly what Naughty Dog used for this first Uncharted 4 trailer in engine but later during a SIGGRAPH presentation, they admited this was not a trailer running at 60 fps on a PS4. It was running on PS4 as a much different framerate.

Same for Hellblade 2 and this is the reason Digitalfoundry believe this is not realtime and they use the in engine like Forza too. Sometimes like Ghost of Tsushima they say nothing and at the end this is in engine too.

When I hear realtime this is ok.

We treated the PlayStation 4 like a render farm

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2016/The Process of Creating Volumetric-based Materials in Uncharted 4.pptx

Or Hellblade 2

Last edited:
It specifically says "Game Footage" at the start of the video.

They don't tell realtime for a reason. Basically crossing Eden who work in the industry and was an animator at Ubi soft and defend them all the time admit himself, this is probably in engine.

They could have say game running realtime on a PC for example.

They don't tell realtime for a reason. Basically crossing Eden who work in the industry and was an animator at Ubi soft and defend them all the time admit himself, this is probably in engine.

They could have say game running realtime on a PC for example.

When are previews ever prefixed with "real time"? It's usually "In Engine" or something like "Actual Gameplay". Granted the wording here is a little ambiguous but I think automatically assuming it's a non-real time offline render is unwarranted at this stage. Although I'm sure Ubisoft will take it as a compliment.

Again if it was realtime, they would have tell it. This is not my own defintion, this is basically what is the definition in the videogame industry. And this is exactly what Naughty Dog used for this first Uncharted 4 trailer in engine but later during a SIGGRAPH presentation, they admited this was not a trailer running at 60 fps on a PS4. It was running on PS4 as a much different framerate.

Same for Hellblade 2 and this is the reason Digitalfoundry believe this is not realtime and they use the in engine like Forza too. Sometimes like Ghost of Tsushima they say nothing and at the end this is in engine too.

When I hear realtime this is ok.

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2016/The Process of Creating Volumetric-based Materials in Uncharted 4.pptx

Or Hellblade 2

I'm not going to assume anything. That footage looks like it can be rendered in realtime. It has a great lighting system to it. Nothing in it shows it can't be realtime by a RTX/AMD card. Can you point out graphically what makes it have to be rendered in offline?

When are previews ever prefixed with "real time"? It's usually "In Engine" or something like "Actual Gameplay". Granted the wording here is a little ambiguous but I think automatically assuming it's a non-real time offline render is unwarranted at this stage. Although I'm sure Ubisoft will take it as a compliment.
Yea, he is just downplaying it because it looks better than anything the PS5 has produced.

So, the concurrence is starting to show its muscles ?

The very first part of the trailer looks better than HFW, maybe because this game is full next gen apparently ?

Yeah sure, but thats a unfair comparison since FW is a cross gen game while this aint.

I'm not sure why people are downplaying this incredible looking trailer just because it is an in-game cinematic showcase. Everyone and their grandmother was going ape shit over Forbidden West's first new trailer and the majority of screenshots/videos of R&C are cinematics.

Maybe its because this avatar game does look better then those in this trailer, and its hard to believe. Its targetting next gen only, its not a cross generation title.

Where did The Division look worse than in it's first trailer? The graphical techniques are the same. The actual game has even more to offer than the first video.

The Avatar game is very ambitious. Here the environment seems very large and the player act freely in the air which is much harder than when characters only stay on the ground.

But I would rather have a military Tom Clancy game than Avatar with glorified Stone Age people. Hunters and gatherers were also not one with nature. That's why there is almost no megafauna left on earth outside Africa. They were wiped out by humans before the Neolithic Revolution.

Indeed, its more impressive to me than what FW showcased, unfair cause its not cross gen but still. Its possibly using RT aswell.

I have no confidence at all.

I know, it was kinda rough with the cross gen going on lately. Atleast this one's targetting next gen only and it shows. Besides, most game trailers, even actual ingame play are usually either played in a cinematic way or show the best scenes to be found, extra lighting etc.

You not trusting Ubisoft doesn't detract from the visuals we see here. They are impressive. Period.

And then guys like him complain when i come to one of their favourite game threads and say i think its not all that impressive. Here we see the perfect example of a sony fan doing the usual.

Agree.

Yea, he is just downplaying it because it looks better than anything the PS5 has produced.

True again. But oh see what happened when i chime in and call CP2077 being technically 'better' (in my opinion) for example in lighting (5 RT modes at once) as opposed to Rift Apart.
Thing is, scaling exists and Sony exclusives aint the best looking anymore.

Be a little serious again we just need to wait and see but I tried to see any sign of realtime problem, little popin or other things and I did not find it. After I saw the trailer only two times at normal speed This is very easy just need to wait, I don't say this is not assets of the game. This is clearly gamey from an asset point of view but I think at the end there will be a little downgrade like the Battlefield 6 trailer.

Avatar will release on Ps5 too and it will not look this imo, not on Xbox Series too and PC.

I'm curious to know if Ubi will really make a triple A with this game, because this is not their usual huge licence like AC for instance.

And indeed we need to be a bit cautious because it's not a gameplay footage apparently.

If the graphics are even anything remotely close to what we see there, its head and shoulders above anything else imo. It is targetting next gen hardware only, so its entirely possible (they say game footage). Could be running on a high end pc, with scaling these days, its possible it just looks much better than the lower end versions.

Back