"Automotive X-Prize Builds Momentum"

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4212973.html
The Automotive X Prize appears to be taking shape. Yesterday, we spent some time at the Automotive X Prize headquarters in Pasadena, CA and met with its Executive Director, Mark Goodstein to find out the latest developments since we last talked.

The Automotive X Prize comes from the same folks who developed the Ansari X Prize. This time the purse may well be double that of the $10-million space prize payout. The challenge? To build a viable production capable vehicle that can deliver in excess of 100 mpg or its equivalent fuel economy.

“These cars must be production viable in quantities of 10,000 or more as judged by industry experts. We want to prevent the million-dollar fuel cell car from entering as well as the technically competent but ugly ‘bubble car,’â€￾ says Goodstein.
I have great hope that this challenge will succeed as much as the original X Prize.

epic

And here I was thinking this was a spin-off of last week's "Top Gear" :smile:

I think part of it has to do with that right now, electricity is by and large produced from petrol, coal, and so on. Transferring that energy from petrol to the power grid, to the battery, to the car is actually less efficient than how the Prius hybrid goes about its job, which uses the fuel very efficiently and then gathers additional energy for its batteries everywhere it can (from the air-resistance on the brakes, to the actual brakes, braking on the engine, clever air-conditioning systems, etc).

So until you can get your power in sufficient quantities from reuseable, CO2 friendly sources, you're going to have a tough time being more energy efficient in another way. Also, on the short term the best CO2 neutral fuel source seems to be plants, which consume CO2 as they grow. These are then turned into oils that a diesel engine can handle (lots of them can be easily converted).

Of course this is a short term perspective - say, over the next 10-20 years at least, I think hybrid technology is going to offer the best rewards - probably in the form of a diesel / electricity combination. So while it should never be the long-term goal, I suppose the setup makes some sense, at least.

I think part of it has to do with that right now, electricity is by and large produced from petrol, coal, and so on.
depends on the country here in nz the vast majority of energy comes from sustainable resources
hydro, wind, geothermal
(true in holland north sea gas is the most common)

I dont think the competition requires that the car use gasoline. The way i read it, was anything greater than 100MPG, well infinite is greater than 100.

epic

Yes but why does one have to fill up with FOSSILE fuel at any gas station?
Peace.

Because 99% of gas stations sell diesal and/or gasoline which are made from fossil fuels? What would be the point of developing a car that runs on methonol or ethanol if you have to drive thousands of miles (even if you could) to fill up? :LOL:

The challenge? To build a viable production capable vehicle that can deliver in excess of 100 mpg or its equivalent fuel economy.

“These cars must be production viable in quantities of 10,000 or more as judged by industry experts. We want to prevent the million-dollar fuel cell car from entering as well as the technically competent but ugly ‘bubble car,’” says Goodstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the competition requires that the car use gasoline. The way i read it, was anything greater than 100MPG, well infinite is greater than 100.

epic

Yes, I forgot, fuel isn't necessarily petrol.

Because 99% of gas stations sell diesal and/or gasoline which are made from fossil fuels? What would be the point of developing a car that runs on methonol or ethanol if you have to drive thousands of miles (even if you could) to fill up? :LOL:

gas stations selling ethanol do exist (especially in brazil, here in france I think there's one but it's a gimmick)

Sorry, was that meant to be "FOSSIL" or "FISSILE"? :)

"fossile" is probably a good description of coal. coal plants spew large quantities of thorium and uranium into the atmosphere. It's been suggested that a very efficient reactor could get more energy out of the thorium and uranium isotopes in coal than a furnace could from burning the coal.

Back