Auto playing audio/videos

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Many websites have embedded audio or videos that automatically start playing when the page is accessed. It is soooo annoying, just happened to me. It is close to 1 AM here and I was listening to some filmi music at low speaker volume, I access this website and boom...the embedded video starts playing loudly. :devilish:

Is there a way to prevent such things from occuring?

Firefox + addblocker + noscript = browsing ftw

Takes a bit to edumacate noscript, but well worth it for the control it adds. :)

Well, I've been running noscript for a bunch of months now and I have to say that in my view it comes at annoying from the other direction. Having to click enable enable enable enable enable every time I visit a new website just to get the basic stuffs to work is pretty irritating. I'm basically on the verge of uninstalling it.

Flashblock might be a better way to stop just videos/ads and so on from auto-starting.

That's the "edumacating" part of noscript. It usually only takes me an hour or so now, but enabling the useful scripts while keeping the annoying ones off is a fine art that imho is well worth learning. ;)

Yeah, but there's so many of the annoying ones :runaway: and they're all ad/track/blah related.
Yeah, but it really does give you a good feel for how they're trying to track/sell ya. ;)

You do get used to it after a while, and I find it has a sort of an enjoyable hobby-ish aspect to it. :)

Flashblock is the one extension for me, the only one I can't consider browsing without : not only autoplay videos and a lot of flashing are stopped, but it saves on CPU power. I most often have like 30 tabs and if I were to have flash objects running in most of them, the computer would be very much slown down, even a fast one. It even avoids wasting electric power :).

There's even no need for plugins, Tools -> Options -> Content -> File type -> Manage, there you can set what stuff should be played or not, or whatever other actions you want.

Back