Austrailian's get free game with 360 purchase?

I know some here will be happy about this:

http://www.xboxtoday.ca/
"Four months after the North American launch, Australian gamers will finally have their chance to get their hands on the new Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 Launch party will be held at Pitt Street Mall in Sydney, and will feature street performers and plenty of food. And as a special gift for being so patient, gamers who purchase their new Xbox 360 from the launch party will also receive a fee game.

The Australian TV station Channel V will be at the party and Nova 96.9 will be broadcasting live. Microsoft will be setting up LCD screens so you can play the Xbox 360 before you buy it.

It is estimated that $30 - $40-million worth of Xbox 360 consoles and games will be sold on March 23rd. We’ll have more information on the Xbox 360 launch, as it becomes available."

$30-40 million worth of consoles and games...I wonder how many systems that is...hmm lets see 4:1 attach ratio, = $240 in games for each console, lets say one controller, $290 in games and accesories for every $400 console, so ~58% of the money is spent on the HW. So ~ 17million dollars worth of consoles @ $400 each = ~40,000 in a single day??

Doesn't make up for being nearly 6 months late for a "worldwide launch". It was a slap in the face, and no free game will make up for it.

Kudos for the effort, though I'd have much preferred they just included us in the "world".

Ya I'd be pissed to, but whatever you didn't miss much besides Kameo and COD, this is probably the ideal time to pick up a 360 anyways with FN3, GRAW & Oblivion all recently released.

scooby_dooby said:
Ya I'd be pissed to, but whatever you didn't miss much besides Kameo and COD, this is probably the ideal time to pick up a 360 anyways with FN3, GRAW & Oblivion all recently released.

I completely agree with that. The good games are just starting to show their faces. This is an excellent month for the Xbox 360, IMO.

Has interest in the 360 begun to stagnate in Australia or something? This seems almost overly generous on MS' part, but a definite nice conciliatory move all the same.

Is it mentioned anywhere whether the free game is one the customer gets to choose, or is it an arbitrary MS pick? The later situation is good, but the former is great.

actually it says a fee game, not a free game. MS is probably going to add a monthly charge to the x360 in Australia :)

scooby_dooby said:
I know some here will be happy about this:

http://www.xboxtoday.ca/

$30-40 million worth of consoles and games...I wonder how many systems that is...hmm lets see 4:1 attach ratio, = $240 in games for each console, lets say one controller, $290 in games and accesories for every $400 console, so ~58% of the money is spent on the HW. So ~ 17million dollars worth of consoles @ $400 each = ~40,000 in a single day??

That $400 console is $649 in Australia. Plus if you want to preorder over here you have to buy a $149 VIP pack that has PD0, a wireless controller, a faceplate and a preview DVD.

a free game: thats probably a marketplace game like Zuma or pool or something like that

anyone know if the same will be happening for the new zealand lanch? :) I wouldn't mind a free game

Has interest in the 360 begun to stagnate in Australia or something? This seems almost overly generous on MS' part, but a definite nice conciliatory move all the same.

Is it mentioned anywhere whether the free game is one the customer gets to choose, or is it an arbitrary MS pick? The later situation is good, but the former is great.
This deal was brokered a couple months back, it was basically a pr move by microsoft australia to get people turning up to the midnight launch which is going to have a lot of australian press at pitt st mall sydney. I guess having lots of people show up will generate more hype which will obviously sell more units. The games you could choose from are only ms published ones, DOA4,PD0,PGR4,Kameo, although for some reason DOA4 got delayed here till april so you could only pick from the remaining titles.

I'll be attending the midnight launch and chose PGR3 for my freebie, should be a lot of fun too, well better be we fricken get it last.

mozmo said:
This deal was brokered a couple months back, it was basically a pr move by microsoft australia to get people turning up to the midnight launch which is going to have a lot of australian press at pitt st mall sydney. I guess having lots of people show up will generate more hype which will obviously sell more units. The games you could choose from are only ms published ones, DOA4,PD0,PGR4,Kameo, although for some reason DOA4 got delayed here till april so you could only pick from the remaining titles.

I'll be attending the midnight launch and chose PGR3 for my freebie, should be a lot of fun too, well better be we fricken get it last.

Ok, well that's not a too bad middle-of-the-road option I guess. You do get to choose, but just from a limited pool. I'd probably go with one of those anyway, though is DOA4 MS published? I thought Team Ninja/Tecmo were masters of their own destiny, so to speak.

yes titano it's for people only attending the city sydney launch and you gotta show up at midnight or you don't get the game.

tecmo games for xbox have been published under microsoft for some time now, ms probably kick back a good deal for tecmo to publish/distribute their games. Possibly in japan though tecmo may do their own distribution, not sure about that.

EVEN though the new Xbox 360 is nine days away from launch, the console is already breaking records.

According to the number of pre-orders for the eagerly-awaited device, Microsoft's projections show it will generate $30 million to $40 million in the first 24 hours on sale.
This will make it the highest grossing entertainment launch in Australian history.

It's predicted to do better than PS2/xbox/GC/PSP/DS launches.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,18450336-10431,00.html

Back