ATX 2.4 / ATX 3.0, when and what is it?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I had a look today for any information but I couldn't see anything listed. So I decided I would ask the good people here what it is and when is it coming?

If it's so far off the horizon you don't know anything about it, do you really need to worry about it? ;)

There doesn't seem to be a need for any new standards in the near future, CPUs and graphics cards are quite well cared for by current standards and it doesn't seem like manufacturers are very keen on increasing power dissipation in either component.

The current ATX 2.2 (I believe) power supply standard with 8-pin power plugs for the CPU handle at least 140W CPUs just fine, and that seems to be about the top either AMD or Intel want to go for. Overclockers have pulled much, much higher power draw out of these components, upwards of 300W doesn't seem uncommon for nitrogen cooled record attempts I read somewhere.

Graphics cards also get 300W easily, and even that much in a double-high expansion slot format is unappetizing to anyone except record-breakers. :p

Back