Atomic Heart [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Damn psvr2 i don't have much time for it now but the hour i tried it last tuesday on XsS i liked it. Will definitely play though this.

Just downloaded the RT tech demo they released years ago.

2560x1440p with no DLSS and averaging 100fps with the lowest frame rate I saw being 75fps on an RTX4070ti.

I was actually at my v-sync cap of 120fps for a quite a bit of the demo, with DLSS quality mode I should be able to easily do 1440p at 120fps.

It does seem to be really well optimised.

Hmpf. I really tried to enjoy this game, but my experience is very different from the reviews i have read.
The art style isn't interesting. Anything looks like SciFi toys from the 50s, composed from spheres and cubes. Kinda low brow by intent it feels. Does not work for me.
Sadly the story isn't interesting either. Previously i've expected a trashy action game, and then was surprised it's an actual narrative shooter. My favorite genre of the past, so that's why i wanted it.
But the story is bland, and does not raise any questions on technology, society, or even morals. Till yet at least. Feels low brow by intent as well.

Not excited about the gameplay either. Movement isn't great. Melee combat feels most interesting, but it's ruined with some QTE mechanics. Printing 'Mash E key!' on screen does not work for me, because then i have to look at the keyboard and search for where that damn key is - no joke. But that's not the primary reason i dislike QTE. My reflexes are poor, so i prefer continuous gameplay where i can plan ahead and push buttons when i think it's time, not when the game dictates it to me.
Not enough ammo to talk about shooting.
And like with any game, i completely ignore 'abilities' and related skill trees.

Mixed feelings about the graphics. Main problem: GI is terrible. No bouncing or color bleeding, everything looks desaturated with harsh blacks in the shadows.
Many games have this problem. I've played DUSK recently. I thought: I love shooters, but no DUSK. No. It looks too shitty. But then i changed my mind, and it's awesome and really fun. Finished and loved it.
Now, due to the lighting issues, Atomic Heart does not really look better to me than DUSK. No joke either.

Idk, but i feel like being done with it after 2-3 hours. No motivation or interest builds up, and i spend too much time with getting lost in corridors and rooms which look like all the others before.
Probably i'll miss some things. So i keep those games installed for some time to eventually play them later again. But even if i try, i'll have forgotten all the special abilities button combos and quirks, so that never works.

That's the same experience i get from 90% of AAA games. : /
But there's always some unexpected Indie pearls. Will go back to Signalis, which really is good. : )

Hmpf. I really tried to enjoy this game, but my experience is very different from the reviews i have read.
The art style isn't interesting. Anything looks like SciFi toys from the 50s, composed from spheres and cubes. Kinda low brow by intent it feels. Does not work for me.
Sadly the story isn't interesting either. Previously i've expected a trashy action game, and then was surprised it's an actual narrative shooter. My favorite genre of the past, so that's why i wanted it.
But the story is bland, and does not raise any questions on technology, society, or even morals. Till yet at least. Feels low brow by intent as well.

Not excited about the gameplay either. Movement isn't great. Melee combat feels most interesting, but it's ruined with some QTE mechanics. Printing 'Mash E key!' on screen does not work for me, because then i have to look at the keyboard and search for where that damn key is - no joke. But that's not the primary reason i dislike QTE. My reflexes are poor, so i prefer continuous gameplay where i can plan ahead and push buttons when i think it's time, not when the game dictates it to me.
Not enough ammo to talk about shooting.
And like with any game, i completely ignore 'abilities' and related skill trees.

Mixed feelings about the graphics. Main problem: GI is terrible. No bouncing or color bleeding, everything looks desaturated with harsh blacks in the shadows.
Many games have this problem. I've played DUSK recently. I thought: I love shooters, but no DUSK. No. It looks too shitty. But then i changed my mind, and it's awesome and really fun. Finished and loved it.
Now, due to the lighting issues, Atomic Heart does not really look better to me than DUSK. No joke either.

Idk, but i feel like being done with it after 2-3 hours. No motivation or interest builds up, and i spend too much time with getting lost in corridors and rooms which look like all the others before.
Probably i'll miss some things. So i keep those games installed for some time to eventually play them later again. But even if i try, i'll have forgotten all the special abilities button combos and quirks, so that never works.

That's the same experience i get from 90% of AAA games. : /
But there's always some unexpected Indie pearls. Will go back to Signalis, which really is good. : )

Have you played Tear Down?

I spent abut 45 mins giving this a go yesterday and the Bioshock vibes are overwhelming - in a good way. I presume the story will explain why the protagonist, a hero of the Soviet Union, has an American accent.

I'll definitely be playing more but the 'world' is interesting to me and the game mechanics seem pretty good too.

I spent abut 45 mins giving this a go yesterday and the Bioshock vibes are overwhelming - in a good way. I presume the story will explain why the protagonist, a hero of the Soviet Union, has an American accent.

I'll definitely be playing more but the 'world' is interesting to me and the game mechanics seem pretty good too.
They won't. It's just an English dub. There is Russian dub as well

They won't. It's just an English dub. There is Russian dub as well

I saw most suggest to use the Russian Voice with English Subtitles to get better sounding experience because the English Dub isn't first rate.

I saw most suggest to use the Russian Voice with English Subtitles to get better sounding experience because the English Dub isn't first rate.
I only played an hour or so, but the game does like to drop plot and instructions at you mid-combat, which is not a great time to get distracted having to read subtitles!

It's fine, I had assumed there was a clever reason for the accent whereas in fact they managed to find the one voice actor unable to affect a fake Russian accent because every other Russian character in the game had a fake Russian accent! :runaway:

This is why I played RE Village on Italian mode. :)

Last edited:
Absolutely loved the game but it does handle super ultrawide 29:9 very well
it should display this
1678483500385.png

but instead it displays this
1678483552097.png
As you can see or cant the bottom light is not visible that makes solving the puzzle really hard you basically have to guess when the light is green
it may look fine on normal 21:9 ultrawides

Just logged into steam and this patch was released today

Patch 1.3.4.0 for the Atomic Heart is rolled out and now available on all platforms. See the list of changes for this update below:
Fov settings added
Ultrawide screen fixes (fov adapted)

Edit: just tried to test it but just realised the game only keeps about the last dozen or so saves and as I've finished the game the saves are late in the game and I've solved all the puzzles
and since I'm in rant mode turn left/right in vehicles is hardcoded to A/D

Last edited:
Back