Atleast 7 dead in Tokyo (Akihabara) stabbing spree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deepak, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Deepak

Deepak B3D Yoddha
    Veteran

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/atleast-7-dead-in-tokyo-stabbing-spree/66825-2.html

Tokyo: A man ran over a group of people with his truck and then stabbed 18, killing at least 7, in a video game district of downtown Tokyo Sunday afternoon, according to a Tokyo fire official.

The dead included five men - three aged 19, 47 and 74 - and a woman, according to a Tokyo metropolitan police officer. The gender of the seventh person was not immediately known. Eleven others were wounded, police said, with two critically injured.

"The suspect told police that he came to Akihabara to kill people," Jiro Akaogi, a spokesman for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, told The Associated Press.

"He said he was tired of life. He said he was sick of everything," Akaogi added.

Authorities said the man drove a rented truck into a crowd, jumped from the vehicle and then began stabbing the people he had knocked down, AP reported.

Japanese media reported that the suspect told investigators he was 25 years old.

Nearly 20 ambulances rushed to the scene, with television footage showing rescue workers tending to victims in the street.

The Akihabara district, where the attack took place, specializes in electronic gadgets and video games and is popular with people interested in comic books and distinctive fashion.

2. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Heard about it yesterday. I heard the guy who did it supposedly was part of the Japanese maffia (dont really see how that would be a reason to go random stabbing people though).

Really sad for the rest, for what its worth I hope the best for those still injured.

3. nintenho

Veteran

These stabbings were done on the seven year anniversary of another stabbing spree in Japan in a elementary school where one man killed 8 children and injured another 15. Apparently, there's a lot of news stories about mass stabbings in Japan which makes me glad that they have extremely restrictive gun laws.

4. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Interesting. I wonder if there's any relation.

Why would that make you feel any better? If one person in that crowd had been carrying a gun, who knows how many lives could have been saved?

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

/snicker

6. NVNDA

Newcomer

Guns or not, people will always find a way to kill others. My view of laws and politics is the same as Snake Plissken... just leave me alone.

7. Mintmaster

Veteran

And if the perp had a gun because he knew others might, who knows how many more people would have been killed.

And every time someone has a non-fatal stab wound, who knows how many of those would be fatal if guns were used instead.

And every time someone runs from someone with a knife, who knows how many times a gun would have killed instead.

What a moronic statement.

8. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Lol if the gun laws were less restrictive chances are this guy would have one and he probably would have got a bunch more kills. Might have even broken Cho's high score with a proper rifle or something.

9. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Seems to me he probably did a lot more damage with his vehicle than any personally-portable weapons system (i.e. gun) in existence today is likely to do.

Why no discussion on the banning of automobiles?

10. Mintmaster

Veteran

Because a gun's only purpose is to kill or injure another.

Remove automobiles from the developed world and you have an economic collapse, with people starving and going homeless, more crime, GDP per capita taking a nosedive resulting in poor heathcare and less international aid, etc. All of this results in far more death than the automobile does.

There's no evidence that a ban on guns results in any more death than it prevents, but much that suggests the opposite.

The problem with America is that guns are so widespread that criminals assume that there's a good chance their victims are armed, so not only are they armed more often (due to availability and necessity), but they have a kill-or-be-killed mentality. It would take quite a long time for a gun ban to change this, so the merits of implementing one in the US is not so cut and dry. Encouraging gun ownership in countries without this issue, however, is beyond stupid.

11. nintenho

Veteran

I'm not trying to start a gun control discussion but it's a good thing that Japan forces all prospective gun owners to take a psyche test.

12. Sxotty

Veteran

In a previous thread I discussed how effective vehicle were for this sort of thing and people thought the idea was unrealistic. Unfortunately such a thing is realistic. If someone is crazy and wants to kill they can.

13. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

I was being facetious ;) I am not pro-gun control.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

Precisely my point.

14. Mintmaster

Veteran

That doesn't make your analogy any less stupid.
    You've already made that abundantly clear. I very much am pro gun control, but I realize that it won't ever get legislated, and even if it did, it would take decades to show positive benefits.

For other countries, though, it would be stupid to remove gun control law.
    Random killings by the insane for the sake of killing can never be stopped, but they account for a very small percentage of homicides.

A big portion of gun casualties are:
    - targetted, whether premeditated or in the heat of the moment
    - due to self-preservation in some form or another (even with criminal murders)
    - accidental due to stray fire from the above two
    - in areas where you can't use a knife or automobile

It doesn't matter how easy it is to kill with an automobile. It just isn't a substitute for a gun in a big percentage of homicides. The same is true for knives.

15. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Really? You just typed that much in response to a joke?

I WAS BEING FACETIOUS! IT WAS A JOKE!

16. Mintmaster

Veteran

In my first post, I can't tell if you're joking because you gave no indication and you put up plenty of stupid logic and argumentation in other threads.

In my second post, I typed 8 words in reply to your facetious comment. The rest was just discussion on the topic, most of it directed towards Sxotty. So don't flatter yourself.

17. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Are you guys requesting we move this thread to RPSC? Because it certanly seems that way. . . If that's not what you want to happen, then drop the OT bickering over policy prescriptions.