ATi's trade up program.

micron

Diamond Viper 550
Veteran
With ATi's trade up program...what do they do with the cards?...why do they want them?, simply to get them off the market so they can dominate? maybe they melt them down for some precious metal contained inside ;)
In all seriousness though, anyone know for sure?

micron said:
With ATi's trade up program...what do they do with the cards?...why do they want them?, simply to get them off the market so they can dominate? maybe they melt them down for some precious metal contained inside ;)
They are building a fort up in cananda . Its made up of all old video cards

A fort you can overclock. Sounds cool!

Plus, with all the fans on the many cards, it would be easy to repel your enemies.

cthellis42 said:
Sure enough it would always be roasty-toasty warm in the winter.
Shhh! That's ATI's secret climate control program you're talking about! ;) Imagine: Toronto a tropical paradise!

Freak'n Big Panda said:
lol, looks like nobody really knows what ATI is doing with them... I was wondering that myself a while ago but nvr bothered to post about it.
Well...you can see how far this post has gotten me. I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask though.

I wonder how many broken Voodoo2's they're going to get. :p Honestly, I think I have about 4-5 V2's I've accumulated over time just sitting around in various states of workingness. And $250 for a 9800 Pro is--how shall we say--GOOD.

Wow, the old tradeup program actually cost more than it was on pricewatch to buy one. That is actually a good deal.

Is there any restrictions? I could I use an old PCI card from my dell of yesteryear... I think it is an smc card or something terrible.

I have a tnt2ultra, but I want to keep it for nostalgia...

I called and asked--seemingly not. Original packaging not necessary, and I even said "so it doesn't matter what I send--I could toss in a Voodoo 1 and it'd be fine?" and got a "certainly." I think the only restrictions are in your ability to find out its serial number. ;)

Just talked to ATi again for a last point of interest, and was confirmed by the representative that all the Trade Up models should indeed come with the HL2 voucher! :oops: And if they don't, as long as you've kept your receipt you can call in and get one mailed out! (And possibly even just activated over the phone from Valve.)

Holy guacamole!

Too bad that program does not work with europeans. With actual euro exchange rate we could get a 9800 pro for 200 euros, a sweet deal.

micron said:

They probably just bin them. They ask for your old card to make sure you are not just buying loads of cheap cards on this deal and then selling them on. There may also be some legal reason for doing this, so that it is an exchange/upgrade rather than just discounting or product dumping.

Sounds like you can send in any graphic card, doesn't need to be 3d. Have some hercules isa card lying around? I'd almost bet you could send in some old isa parallel adapter and it would got accepted (I doubt someone at ATI has the time to figure out if it really is a graphic card...).

I asked about that too, actually, and was told that it should be a 3D card. Quite possibly they won't really bother to check anyway, but it's better safe than sorry.

I emailed them asking if they will expand that program to europe as ATI has officially offices in Germany France and spain, but no answer besides the automated one.

Back