ATI's "new" patent - LOGIC ENHANCED MEMORY.

cho

Regular
edram_ScpJ9E7bAq2m.png

A logic enhanced memory that may be used in a video graphics system is presented. The logic enhanced memory includes an operation block that performs a number of operations on a block-by-block basis such that parallel processing results. The operations performed by the operation pipeline include blending operations for fragment blocks received from a graphics processing circuit, where the fragment blocks include pixel fragments generated by rendering graphics primitives. Other operations include selective reads and writes to the memory array, clearing functions, and swapping functions. Mask values included in the commands executed to control the operation pipeline allow for selectivity with respect to portions of the data packets, or blocks, to which the operations are applied.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&S1=ATI.ASNM.&OS=AN/ATI&RS=AN/ATI

i think that is about the eDRAM module used in the xbox 360 northbridge.

I wonder how a patent like this could be granted when 3DRAM already exists since many years (though it's actually fallen out of use by now).

digitalwanderer said:
Could someone explain in little words and sound bites for me? :oops:

A logic enhanced memory that may be used in a video graphics system is presented. The logic enhanced memory includes an operation block that performs a number of operations on a block-by-block basis such that parallel processing results. The operations performed by the operation pipeline include blending operations for fragment blocks received from a graphics processing circuit, where the fragment blocks include pixel fragments generated by rendering graphics primitives. Other operations include selective reads and writes to the memory array, clearing functions, and swapping functions. Mask values included in the commands executed to control the operation pipeline allow for selectivity with respect to portions of the data packets, or blocks, to which the operations are applied.

Dave, when will we get the low down on the XENOS? Need someone to put this whole thing together.

Back