"ATI Tech Takes Down Sales Estimates"

Miksu

Regular
Graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies (ATYT - commentary - Cramer's Take) warned Wednesday that sales for its fourth quarter will fall far short of analysts' estimates and the company's own prior guidance.

ATI now expects to post sales of about $520 million for the just-completed period. In contrast, back in June, the company forecast that sales for the quarter would range from $620 million to $660 million.

From here.

And people keep telling me that the 80nm stuff aint late :rolleyes:

Jawed

It's not so much 80nm, it's the fact that the far eastern motherboard manufacturers hate uncertainty, so for the most part they've not yet been making any RD600 motherboards for Core Duo 2 (which itself seems to be in pretty poor supply). Combined with Intel's sudden "we're not supporting ATI chipsets for Core Duo 2 even if they are the only good ones out there" and the motherboard sales ATI expected have totally tanked.

As ATI's fourth quarter ended August 31st, it doesn't really tell us about the state of 80nm which will probably be coming in over the next quarter. Also doesn't really give us any clues about R600. We need to know what ATI think they are going to do over the next quarter to guess if their next big products will get in before the end of the year.

Chipsets are about 25% of ATI's revenue. You guys are saying that ATI has entirely lost all chipset revenue.

$125M lost revenue is not just chipsets.

Jawed

Chipsets are about 25% of ATI's revenue. You guys are saying that ATI has entirely lost all chipset revenue.

$125M lost revenue is not just chipsets.

Jawed

It was ATI's actual revenue this quarter that is down compared to their previous estimate. They hardly shipped any of the new chipsets they were expecting to with the Core 2 Due launch, so their guidance from a couple of months back is down. They expected to make a lot of money on something they didn't (in the end) ship this quarter, so their results are way down on what they had previously estimated.

This isn't a huge amount of money they were previously getting that has now suddenly disappeared, this is money they thought they would get that they haven't, because their products are now not shipping until the next quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess the gfx-sales are also down a bit. People have heard about AMD/ATI "marriage" and go nV instead, fearing the lack of future support etc. The usual stuff.

Bear in mind that ATI had in place a deal with Intel to pick up the manufacturing shortfall of their low end chipsets. I think if you look through prior quarters this was not an insignificant element of the chipset revenues.

Well, the article points at Motorola too, as a contributor, not just chipsets.

It is interesting tho that they made a point at the AMD/ATI call of saying how conservative they were being on future Intel chipset revenue, and they still got caught short.

Well I guess the gfx-sales are also down a bit. People have heard about AMD/ATI "marriage" and go nV instead, fearing the lack of future support etc. The usual stuff.

I don't know, personally I thought, hmm I would rather buy Nvidia b/c they are the only decent graphics card centric company or at least will be in the near future. Then I saw a great deal on a x1900 and here I am in the ATI camp again. Anyway I don't know what the "average: view is, but it seems more people might simply want to support an independent company instead of a juggernaught, but that could be wrong as well.

I'd like to comment on VIA.

Way back when, VIA was booming .Intel did some chipsets, AMD did some chipsets which it did begrudgingly to support it's cpu's it seemed and VIA did some good high end stuff and was on the up and up. Then nvidia came along and knocked on the high end AMD chipset business whilst Via struggled with chipsets that would not lock the PCI bus etc etc etc. I thought VIA was going to have a hard time of it and only have their cheap chipsets left. Then Ati came along and started hitting them there as well .. it was all over for VIA I thought.

Now what, not only have they survived but they seem to be in a pretty good position now. They are like the chicken that is not only still running around after the chopper but is growing a new head.

I hope ATi's lower revenue doesn't mean that AMD will tighten the belts even more on them :(

They also had some good business with the Envy24 sound chips/cards. I hope they'll come up with a worthy successor soon, I still prefer that chip over anything else out there.

They also had some good business with the Envy24 sound chips/cards. I hope they'll come up with a worthy successor soon, I still prefer that chip over anything else out there.

The support for that chip has been great and it deserves it. Best effort against Creative in ages. My next sound card will probably be the sucessor to the Envy24 on one of the budget cards, a card similair to the Chaintech AV-710 is to the Envy24 now.

I am actually using a VIA chipset right now for my Core 2 Duo system, on a Asrock board. Though I havent got any OC at all, this board and chipset have been ROCK stable for over a day now without issue. As far as stability it is a great chipset, plus its got every thing and the kitchen sink (AGP, PCIe, DDR, DDR2, etc).

This isn't a huge amount of money they were previously getting that has now suddenly disappeared, this is money they thought they would get that they haven't, because their products are now not shipping until the next quarter.

Yes, and while the focus of course for this subject is on ATi's ability to sell Intel chipsets, to me this speaks volumes on the number of Core2s Intel's actually shipping at this time. Of course, we've all seen the latest Intel fiscal projections and the 10,500-job layoff announcement, etc. Needless to say if Intel can't ship the cpus the mobo makers aren't going to be crazy about doing Core2 mobos at the moment, regardless of chipset vendor, and so the chipsets aren't going to be shipped, either.

It might be that Intel's Core2 production estimates of Core2 comprising 15%-25% of the total volume of cpus Intel will be shipping on 12/31/06 are more optimistic than I had supposed. If so, that would explain a lot of things that have happened recently, I think.

I am actually using a VIA chipset right now for my Core 2 Duo system, on a Asrock board. Though I havent got any OC at all, this board and chipset have been ROCK stable for over a day now without issue. As far as stability it is a great chipset, plus its got every thing and the kitchen sink (AGP, PCIe, DDR, DDR2, etc).

Asrock. As Rock. AS A ROCK!

But seriously...i'd have to concur, i've built many Asrock based systems for friends (all Via bar one ULI), and they just cna't be faulted. The ULI based system did in fact die once, but I honestly expected it, ULI chipsets are notoriously unstable when fiddled with.

Asrock. As Rock. AS A ROCK!

But seriously...i'd have to concur, i've built many Asrock based systems for friends (all Via bar one ULI), and they just cna't be faulted. The ULI based system did in fact die once, but I honestly expected it, ULI chipsets are notoriously unstable when fiddled with.

And I lied about the OC!

Running my E6300 at at a nice 2.18Ghz, so I got an E6300 to E6400 speeds with a decently faster FSB. Lol, board is certainly holding me back, as the lowest E6300 OC at the HardForum database is ~2300Mhz and average is decently higher. 310 FSB for those wondering, the highest I've seen with this board, but there hasnt been a ton of reviews or forum posters I've seen using it.

I have not run into an issue yet, been playing tons of games. Funny enough, this new CPU has shortend my BF2 loads times so much that I'd say they're at least half of what they use to. I cant imagine how fast it'd be if I had 2GB of RAM (only have 1GB now).

Back