ATI Talks R5xx

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Veteran

R100 is probably AGP
    R200 is 64 bit PCI

2. Wunderchu

Regular

3. Fred da Roza

Newcomer

The R200 board also has another interface on the top for power and to link 3 other boards. So you can't just stick it in a PCI slot.

4. EntombeD

Newcomer

Well u don't have to remind me cause ur wrong.
    There is no Low-K .11
    The R500(X2) and R520(Desktop) aren't the same.
    M$ is producing the R500 for X2.
    R600?? 512bit bus?? There is not much on the R500/R520 so the R600 is really a longshot there will be no 512bit bus anyways
    Internal Cache highly unlikely at least for 2005 it is

5. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Actually current chips already have some internal cache. The amount is not typically released though.

6. Akumajou

Regular

I think that anonymous forgot to revisit the historical events that led up to the final specs for XBox'x Nv2x with moddified architecture and Dx8 implementation, not to mention the tie in with GeForce 3Ti cards and Windows XP releases.

2005 is so full of variables that I cannot forget about how ATI released the Dx9 supporting R300 months prior to Dx9 being released and lightning can strike twice if ATI is willing to do it again.

XBox 2 is a Microsoft affair and rightly so since M$ got burned by its contract with Nvidia, a contract that neither SEGA, Nintendo and Sony would ever have signed. I am still surprised at how M$ agreed to that rip off contract.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19559

Another variable could be China annexing Taiwan among others rather forcefully.

:shock:

Wow could you imagine if 3dFX would not have been eaten and ATI would have made those cards (well at least a 2 GPU R200) that would have been crazy expensive probably forcing both companies into bankrupcy and getting taken over by Nvidia, oops.

Anyways isn't the R500 core supposed to support Dx10?

If so then with Microsoft's more direct involvement this time around combined with TSMC losing Nvidia to IBM it would make alot of sense that Microsoft does not want a subquality product like the Nv2X was.

Remember that Microsoft is headed for a showdown with the market dominant Sony PS3 (and it has not even been released yet)

I would not be surprised if TSMC is really trying their hardest (in secret) to be ready for full, on time, stable 0.09nm production of the R500 to basically get back at Nvidia. Meawhile ATI's R520 benefits in the process.

I would not be surprised if R500 not only meets Dx10 requirements but probably exceeds it, again benefiting ATI R520 and R5X0. I almost feel safe to wager 10,000 Euros I don't have just to prove that ATI and TSMC will benefit greatly by having Microsoft involved making the XBox 2 the most significan technologicaly advanced home console EVER to hit the market.

I just hope that SEGA also gets involved with Microsoft so that they can produce an Arcade board following the footsteps of SEGA/M$ Chihiro arcade board. I hope this also happens because SEGA can really crank up production of Arcade games that will guarantee even more XBox 2 specific games that will make my eyes cry.

http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_chihiro.html

On the other side ATI would have a major leap ahead of Nvidia this time around technologically speaking benefiting us because if this is true R5X0 series could become alot like the R3X0 series was but probably times 3 in terms of success rates.

With all that said and remembering RARE (GoldenEye 007 & Perfect Dark for N64) is a Microsoft 1st party, just thinking about how Perfect Dark 2 is going to look like makes me not want to think about how Halo 3 is going to look like.

7. Anonymous

Veteran

I'm not sure if i correctly understand your remark but there are mobos with more than just 1 PCI 64 slot. In fact, last week i was working with a dual xeon compaq server, and it had a 4 slot PCI 64 Intel mobo.

8. Fred da Roza

Newcomer

If you look at the card carefully you will notice another interface at the top. That card connects to a second board, something like nVidia's SLI but much bigger. That second board is not optional.

9. Anonymous

Veteran

:shock: that was an enjoyable read. I hope you are right on all of this 8)

10. Anonymous

Veteran

LUNCH time? But I'm hungry now! :lol:

11. Anonymous

Veteran

LUNCH time? But I'm hungry now! :lol:

How do you KNOW this as fact? What will the effective bandwidth be?

12. Anonymous

Veteran

Question

ATI R520 (Radeon 5 XT-PE)
    .09 micron
    Will it be capable up to 700MHz speed for the chip (it is 90nm chip)

.15 micron up to ~400MHz
    .13 micron up to ~500MHz
    .11 micron up to ~600MHz (possible)