ATi responds to questions on viral marketing

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
One of our newer members over at EB wrote to ATi about their involvement in AEG-type web promoting programs and got a response:

z3r0C00L at Elite Bastards said:
About a week and a half ago there was some suspicion about gamer's being hired by a firm working under contract for nVidia to promote nVidia products.

Lot's has been discussed about this issue and I don't want to bring it back but I did email ATi on the issue at the time. I got a response from ATi which I posted on another forum... figured I'd post it here.

My email:

Hi Chris,

I had a question that's a tad touchy. It seems that your competitor was caught with there hands in a cookie jar when it comes to giving well respected members of online communities hardware (secretly might I add) in exchange for there PR. I know you cannot comment on anything involving a competitor but I had to ask... is this something ATi also does?

It is pretty important that I get an answer to this question. As with many other hardware fans (of either company) this news did disturb me and it seems right now the finger is being pointed towards ATi using the same practice. If you do use the same practice then please elaborate on the specifics. These findings will be published, unbiased, onto a forum named x-3Dfx.

It's ATi's chance to show that they're more ethical then there competitors. I ask that you not ignore this email... your customers are anxious awaiting your reply.

Thank You,

Richard La Rose
x-3Dfx

I figured ATi wouldn't respond because most companies would stay away from this. But ATi is different I guess.. they replied..;)

Richard,

No, we don’t. If we did, we would be public about it. It’s not in our DNA to behave any other way.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Evenden

Director, PR

ATI Technologies, Inc.

So yes.. there you have it.. ATi does not use the same practice. Which for me is more ethical. This may have swayed me a tad more onto ATi's side.. only time will tell.
I know Terry had said they didn't do it before as well as a few others, but in light of recent events I thought it worth mentioning that they still don't. :)

Digi we already went over this in the other thread. Or Catalyst Maker did, and already answered the question.

It was already clear that they did not, as a policy do it, though they have given hardware out, you got a 9700 didn't you :) It is obviously not a similar policy though.

And they do use viral marketing, but they do not call it that and have another purpose so it is legit. Catalyst crew has a fuction as viral marketing, but it supposedly has another function, and therefore we let it slide, but it is undoubtedly acheiving the same goals of generating buzz etc.

I am sorry but that DNA bit is such BS. Yeah they are public about everything that is why Nvidia knows every design decision in advance, errr wait... Anyway you gotta love the PR guys.

Sxotty said:
I am sorry but that DNA bit is such BS.

It's a little sickly.

Plus "our DNA..." makes it sound as if everybody at ATi is a genetically superior clone. :D

Yeah they are public about everything that is why Nvidia knows every design decision in advance, errr wait... Anyway you gotta love the PR guys.

I don't doubt there's a bit of poking around of an ethically questionably nature, but you can do pretty much 90% of comp intel on open source info. Some people on this forum are very good at it, and I'm sure nV have a CI group that's extremely astute (ATi certainly do).

MuFu said:
It's a little sickly.

Plus "our DNA..." makes it sound as if everybody at ATi is a genetically superior clone. :D

I don't doubt there's a bit of poking around of an ethically questionably nature, but you can do pretty much 90% of comp intel on open source info. Some people on this forum are very good at it, and I'm sure nV have a CI group that's extremely astute (ATi certainly do).
Well ati's people are generally altered.. or enhanced you might say.
How else do you think they were able to see that they needed a 48 shaderpipeline part while nvidia's still messing around (for future products) with a little 24 shaderpipe part and at best a 32?

radeonic2 said:
Well ati's people are generally altered.. or enhanced you might say.
How else do you think they were able to see that they needed a 48 shaderpipeline part while nvidia's still messing around (for future products) with a little 24 shaderpipe part and at best a 32?

The only thing wrong with that praise is that they didn't and still don't need a 48 shaderpipeline part.

The thread title is misleading

He only said that they won't practice any Viral Marketing operation under the seal of secrecy. And that's it.

Vysez said:
He only said that they won't practice any Viral Marketing operation under the seal of secrecy. And that's it.
Well, anymore you mean...right? They won't practice any viral marketing operations under the seal of secrecy anymore. ;)

weeds said:
So ATI doesnt employ the services of any compay that uses viral marketing?

Let me just quote my favourite American President

"I played by the rules of politics as I found them."

So true

Last edited by a moderator:
Back