ATi Refreshes Their Current Line with Improved Processors

Lazy8s

Veteran
Extending the OpenGL ES 1.x series of 3D Imageon 2300 processors, ATi announced the 2388 and 2380 models. They support features of the 1.1 extension and beyond of the current generation of OpenGL ES and now also include audio processing for an all-in-one multimedia solution.

http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=810139&highlight=

Along with graphics features demonstrations by ATi, Climax showed off the Imageon 2388 with a demo conversion of their Xbox/PC game, Sudeki.

http://www.ati.com/products/imageon238x/index.html

Sudeki_NBW.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

10.jpg

I wonder what kind of numbers this baby can pump out.... Maybe MS can build a XBoy from this family architecture (preferrably SOC integrated into a ARM CPU).

Shogmaster said:
I wonder what kind of numbers this baby can pump out.... Maybe MS can build a XBoy from this family architecture (preferrably SOC integrated into a ARM CPU).

I would expect a XBoy coming out with a new chip, not with one based on OGLES 1.1. As others have hinted it might pretty well based on xenos, and around OpenGL ES 2.0 capabilities, (being from microsoft it would probably be a DX 9.0 derivate api)

NocturnDragon said:
I would expect a XBoy coming out with a new chip, not with one based on OGLES 1.1. As others have hinted it might pretty well based on xenos, and around OpenGL ES 2.0 capabilities, (being from microsoft it would probably be a DX 9.0 derivate api)

Just curious how much would something like that cost?

Cost would depend on target application, target specification, target process, etc., etc.

a.) We don't know entirely what the product is yet (although there are enough hints out there to know what it should be capable of in terms of features) b.) we don't know how scalable it is yet.

Dave Baumann said:
Cost would depend on target application, target specification, target process, etc., etc.

a.) We don't know entirely what the product is yet (although there are enough hints out there to know what it should be capable of in terms of features) b.) we don't know how scalable it is yet.

Okay cool.

Graphics chips are designed only as advanced as can be fit into a low cost product since that's where the majority of the market is. They don't take a year or two to come down in price; they're ready for the mass market when they launch.

I think there are already several levels. I think thats the case for the current Imageon line, since they are being integrated into Qualcomm's designs and will provide a low level 3D capabilities for more or les basic handsets. However, The likes of SGX, NVIDIA's current Go 4500 and ATI's next gen are aimedat the immergent 3G "video phone" market which demand higher res / larger displays - these devices will also fit into PDA's nicely and we'll have to see if any of them scale up further to a decent handheld device (Gizmondo uses NVIDIA's current part, but it appears not to be able to match up to PSP).

xboy ???????????????????????????????????????????????

horrible name...... also msboy.... do i hear some sexual sounds to it or am i just imagening that?

If it wouldnt have been done 20 years ago, i dont even think anyone could recreate the gameboy trademark nowadays.

nono microsoft please dont lose money unnecesarily ;-)

Back