ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 announced

Ostsol said:
http://mirror.ati.com/technology/hardware/mobilityradeon9600/index.html

flexfit !

nice feature. They have done the same with the R7500-mobility and the R9000-mobility. So imho the R9000 / RV250 and the R9600 / RV350 could very well be pin-compatible too. This would make it easy for OEM's to introduce the M10 in notebooks _fast_ and it would make it possible to use the R9200/Pro PCB for cheap R9600 cards @ <$99.

Actually,

I'm guessing both ATI and nVidia announced their chips at this time, because of Intel's Centrino launch. (Anand made this same speculation.)

This is interesting...

bench_3dmark_2k3.gif

heh...obviously, those charts don't use the "special 3DMark" drivers for the NV30. ;)

But the 9600 mobility scores look good regardless...similar (I believe) to what the current 9500 Pro produces? That's a good sign for the 9600 Pro desktop at least.

when you launch something this big you really don't plan it in one day. ATI launched the mobile line in Cebit so it's been planned for a long time.

MrB said:
when you launch something this big you really don't plan it in one day. ATI launched the mobile line in Cebit so it's been planned for a long time.

Agreed.

I'm not implying these launches are a knee-jerk reaction...just that I'm suggesting the timing (which seems a bit early considering when parts are expected to ship...2-3 months?) was planned to coincide around the Centrino launch, which is the next big mobile "platform" from Intel.

There is typically a "trade-show-a-month", and CeBit happens to be it for March. ;)

mboeller said:
This would make it easy for OEM's to introduce the M10 in notebooks _fast_ and it would make it possible to use the R9200/Pro PCB for cheap R9600 cards @ <$99.

The chip and the memory vastly outweigh the BOM cost when compared to discretes and the PCB. (In other words, I don't think it being pin compatible to the R9200 will make much difference in the end price)

Joe DeFuria said:
Agreed.

I'm not implying these launches are a knee-jerk reaction...just that I'm suggesting the timing (which seems a bit early considering when parts are expected to ship...2-3 months?) was planned to coincide around the Centrino launch, which is the next big mobile "platform" from Intel.

There is typically a "trade-show-a-month", and CeBit happens to be it for March. ;)

ahh alright. Really I think ATI just likes partying in Germany and this gives them a viable excuse.

I did a small write up as well. Bear with the poor english if there any. I was writing it at 4am!

http://www.rage3d.com/previews/mobility9600/

Joe DeFuria said:
heh...obviously, those charts don't use the "special 3DMark" drivers for the NV30. ;)

But the 9600 mobility scores look good regardless...similar (I believe) to what the current 9500 Pro produces? That's a good sign for the 9600 Pro desktop at least.

No kidding. The Radeon 9600 pro should come ahead of the mobile part by quite a bit. How much is hard to say but I am willing to bet it will beat the Geforece FX 5600 "ultra". Supposedly there is a variety of the RV350 with a power connector. ;)

MrB said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Agreed.

ahh alright. Really I think ATI just likes partying in Germany and this gives them a viable excuse.

I did a small write up as well. Bear with the poor english if there any. I was writing it at 4am!

http://www.rage3d.com/previews/mobility9600/

I took from the conclusion that the Radeon 9600 pro(for desktop) won't be shipping till this summer, is that correct?

RussSchultz said:
The chip and the memory vastly outweigh the BOM cost when compared to discretes and the PCB. (In other words, I don't think it being pin compatible to the R9200 will make much difference in the end price)

Agree and disagree. All the 9200 boards, (IIRC) use the older (cheaper?) non-BGA memory. So by definition, if they can build a RV350 product on a 9200 PCB, that should be a significant cost reduction.

That being said, the 5200 non-ultra variety boards also use the same memory, (and NV34 and NV31 are also pin compatible), so nVidia has a similar option. Though it looks like nVidia chose the alternative route: put a NV34 on the more costly BGA Ram PCB used by the NV31...

Sabastian said:
I took from the conclusion that the Radeon 9600 pro(for desktop) won't be shipping till this summer, is that correct?

The conclusion specifically stated the 9600 Pro mobility isn't expected until Summer, not the desktop.

If I had to guess, it's likely because it uses the new memory type, which may or may not be in full swing production. (Or in any case, causing a longer development cycle for that particular part.)

The MR 9600 Pro will be availabe in notebooks this summer. What's causing the slower production? I'm not %100 sure. Someone guessed that it was due to using GDDR2-M and that sounds reasonable.

The Radeon 9600 Pro desktop version, as far as I know is still on track from April.

MrB said:
The Radeon 9600 Pro desktop version, as far as I know is still on track from April.

Hi MrB;

are you sure about the (up to) 450MHz GDDR-2 Memory for the R9600-mobility?

Cause, how on earth can an 4x1-chip use this hugh bandwidth. If the R9600Pro is any indication, an R9600-Chip would have to be clocked at maybe 600MHz to justify the 450MHz-DDR-memory. This would make the R9600 the most powerful "mobility-chip" on earth, being faster than even an R9700(Pro).

mboeller said:
Hi MrB;

are you sure about the (up to) 450MHz GDDR-2 Memory for the R9600-mobility?

Cause, how on earth can an 4x1-chip use this hugh bandwidth. If the R9600Pro is any indication, an R9600-Chip would have to be clocked at maybe 600MHz to justify the 450MHz-DDR-memory. This would make the R9600 the most powerful "mobility-chip" on earth, being faster than even an R9700(Pro).

Hey mboelle. Did I say the figure 450Mhz somewhere in the preview?

Edit.
Ah I found it. GDDR2-M is able to clock up to 450MHz but ATI will not be using that speed. ATI gave the figure 300MHz+.

T2k said:
bench_ut2k3.gif

Pretty impressive...

What is more impressive is that it is only a 60million transistor chip as opposed to the NV30 which is what the quadro is made on consisting of 125 million transistors? (in that range AFAIK).

edit: both on the .13um process.

Back