ATI Patent: Side tables annotating an instruction stream

rwolf

Rock Star
Regular
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a diagram...

attachment.php

A company called Chromatic Research was purchased by ATI in 1998. It seems Chromatic had designed a RISC processor which was programmed to execute x86. This system is/was called Tapestry.

For several years, Intel and others have implemented the X86 instruction set using a RISC execution core, though the RISC instruction set has not been exposed for use by programs. The Tapestry computer takes three new approaches. First, the Tapestry machine exposes both the native RISC instruction set and the X86 instruction set, so that a single program can be coded in both, with freedom to call back and forth between the two.

[...]

Second, an X86 program may be translated into native RISC code, so that X86 programs can exploit many more of the speed opportunities available in a
RISC instruction set.

[...]

Third, these two approaches cooperate to provide an additional level of benefit.

http://gauss.ffii.org/PatentView/EP1151374

Jawed

Last edited by a moderator:
And I was about to start a stupid rumor about how AMD would buy ATi and then extend Reverse Hyperthreading to include the GPU...

It's part of the insane diabolical plans of AMD for buying out ATI and integrating a GPU onto their CPU!

I swear :p

Jawed said:
A company called Chromatic Research was purchased by ATI in 1998.
I have a graphics card based on the Chromatic MPact media processor. It's equipped with an 8MB dual-channel 600MHz RDRAM video buffer (1.2GB/s) and can do 3D rendering and DVD decoding with little CPU intervention. It boasts of an on-chip programmable VLIW RISC processor which can be reconfigured in realtime to do various tasks. Not sure if the 3D rendering is done through a hardware pipeline or if it's this VLIW thingy that rasterizes in software, but it could run Final Fantasy 7 at a good clip. It didn't have any proper OpenGL support tho, just some miniGL wrappers that sort of ran Quake and Half-Life at very juddering frame rates.

Oh, and the DVD playback feature didn't work on my crappy Socket7 mobo (VIA Apollo MVP2 - worst AGP chipset ever made in history; slow as fook and buggy).

Back