ATI M28+1T-SRAM. A good Graphics Chip for Revolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking in accout that they will not offer HD rez, I think that looking at any corrent PC card would only offer a big wast, or at least, much less efficient than something made for the ground up, and probably at a longer term would also get much more cheap.

So I sugest tha you dont look at any PC card, once they are made for hi rez.

I think the M28 would be a good option for Nintendo, but I wouldn't count on 1T-SRAM to be used for anything more than a cache for it. 1T-SRAM is still very expensive compared to other RAM types, and doesn't offer any significant advantage beyond lower latency.

In fact, IIRC 1T-SRAM is way behind GDDR-3 and XDR in terms of potential bandwidth.

Why bother using a laptop GPU? What advantages would that offer (none that I can see).

think the M28 would be a good option for Nintendo, but I wouldn't count on 1T-SRAM to be used for anything more than a cache for it.

Revolutions GPU will have embedded 1t-Sram (meaning more then just cache), that's a fact.

Teasy said:
Why bother using a laptop GPU? What advantages would that offer (none that I can see).

Small size, low heat.

Just what the doctor ordered for the smallest console with the least amount of space for proper cooling.

Revolutions GPU will have embedded 1t-Sram (meaning more then just cache), that's a fact.

The Gamecube has embedded 1T-Sram, and it's ONLY used for cache and frame buffer. And that's a fact.

In fact, being embedded guarantees it won't be used for anything but frame buffer and cache. Embedded ram is extremely expensive, which means there won't be enough of it for anything else.

Powderkeg said:
Small size, low heat.

Just what the doctor ordered for the smallest console with the least amount of space for proper cooling.

Dude, where were you a couple of months ago? We've been told by some here that 'it was proven that the size of the case doesn't imply that the Revolution won't be every bit as powerful as the Xbox360 & PS3.' No seriously, it was proven!. ;)

I personally think the size of the case generally implies some tradeoff to heat dissipation but that's me. /shrug.

Ty said:
Dude, where were you a couple of months ago? We've been told by some here that 'it was proven that the size of the case doesn't imply that the Revolution won't be every bit as powerful as the Xbox360 & PS3.' No seriously, it was proven!. ;)

Where was he? He was proven wrong in this thread.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22058

Looking at GCN, you gotta be really stupid to think bigger = more powerful. :LOL:

I personally think the size of the case generally implies some tradeoff to heat dissipation but that's me.

Yeah some people say the sky is blue too. I think the relevant question is where were YOU? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, IIRC 1T-SRAM is way behind GDDR-3 and XDR in terms of potential bandwidth

Link me, as I know quite a bit about 1-TSRAM-Q.

1T-SRAM is still very expensive compared to other RAM types, and doesn't offer any significant advantage beyond lower latency.

Wrong, & link me again. Don't spout out w/out reputable sources to back you, XDR was/is the most expensive RAM type to my knowledge. MoSys has multiple contracts now which tends to drive manufacturing costs down iirc. Basic economics, no?

PC-Engine said:
Where was he? He was proven wrong in this thread.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22058

Looking at GCN, you gotta be really stupid to think bigger = more powerful. :LOL:

I don't see me proven wrong. I see someone else who is absolutely unrealistic, and seems to believe that the Revolution will be using more expensive parts than both the 360 and PS3, yet somehow expects Nintendo to sell it for $100-$200 less.

Just because I chose not to argue with someone who has such an unrealistic view on hardware does not mean I was wrong.

Powderkeg said:
I don't see me proven wrong. I see someone else who is absolutely unrealistic, and seems to believe that the Revolution will be using more expensive parts than both the 360 and PS3, yet somehow expects Nintendo to sell it for $100-$200 less.

Just because I chose not to argue with someone who has such an unrealistic view on hardware does not mean I was wrong.

When you say expensive parts, you must be describing that $200 slim slot DVD drive than Nintendo could buy for less than $25...

Continuing to argue a losing point would be futile I agree.

PC-Engine said:
When you say expensive parts, you must be describing that $200 slim slot DVD drive than Nintendo could buy for less than $25...

I seriously don't know what you intend to accomplish by keeping at this line of argument. Anyone willing to put common sense before Nintendo fandom will not agree with you.

Rev will be the smallest (by large margin) and the cheapest of the three. Unless it comes out 2 years after X360 and PS3, it will be significantly weaker.

Shogmaster said:
I seriously don't know what you intend to accomplish by keeping at this line of argument. Anyone willing to put common sense before Nintendo fandom will not agree with you.

Rev will be the smallest (by large margin) and the cheapest of the three. Unless it comes out 2 years after X360 and PS3, it will be significantly weaker.

This is not common sense, this is your opinion. And everyone knows what they say about opinions.

Common sense dictates we won't know until its on store shelves. Everyone said the same thing about the GameCube, and then RE4 came along.

Small size, low heat.

But does it really offer lower heat then any other equivalently powered GPU when used at full load? Power saving is great if you actually need to save power. But it can't be used as a way to keep a system from overheating. After all its a gaming system so it will have to be capable of running at full load for hours on end.

The Gamecube has embedded 1T-Sram, and it's ONLY used for cache and frame buffer. And that's a fact.

A cache and a framebuffer is not only a cache though.. Also Flippers embedded ram (the 1MB protion specifically) can be used as standard video memory if the developer see's fit to use it that way.

Guden Oden

How do you know for sure?

Mosys announced that Revolutions GPU will use their latest 1T-Sram-Q memory on NEC's 90nm embedded process.

Rev will be the smallest (by large margin) and the cheapest of the three. Unless it comes out 2 years after X360 and PS3, it will be significantly weaker

How can something come out 2 years after 360 and 2 years after PS3 when those two systems are releasing at least 6 months appart? :D Also where do you get 2 years from? GameCube released only one year after PS2 and was much smaller and cheaper yet it was more powerful.

Li Mu Bai said:
Link me, as I know quite a bit about 1-TSRAM-Q.

Wrong, & link me again. Don't spout out w/out reputable sources to back you, XDR was/is the most expensive RAM type to my knowledge. MoSys has multiple contracts now which tends to drive manufacturing costs down iirc. Basic economics, no?

Do you really need a link? Use a little common sense.

If 1T-SRAM is cheaper, has lower latency, and more bandwidth then why did both Sony and MS chose not to use it?

Put yourself in the position of the Sony or MS exec that had to justify the cost of the RAM. What major benefit does XDR and GDDR-3 have over 1T-SRAM that makes those more desirable to use if they are more expensive, have less bandwidth, and higher latency?

Clearly two major corporations thought paying for XDR and/or GDDR-3 was a better business decision. Justify that decision if what you suggest is true.

If you can do that I'll be more than happy to provide links.

PC-Engine said:

I've asked you twice to show me a sub-$25 slimline slot loading DVD drive. Twice you've refused to do it, so I stopped talking to you about the subject.

If you insist on bringing the subject back up, I'll ask a third. Show it to me, or stop living in fantasy land.

Time to put up or shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back