ATI HD5800 / Catalyst Improvements, Bugs, Fixes

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by jaredpace, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Are you overclocked?

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Cool, I'll have to give that a try tonight and see if it fixes the issue being triggered by coming out of sleep mode. Hibernate is a decent workaround but waking up from hibernate takes forever compared to coming out of Sleep/Hybrid Sleep.

Regards,
    SB

3. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Well I have the Sapphire Vapor-X edition (I wanted a quieter fan), so yes I guess. But I do not overclock on top of that.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well first test with the hotfix didn't go well. I didn't get a grey/striped screen, but instead main display went black and extended display went white in Eve Online.

Playback with EVR rendering didn't seem to be as problematic after sleep mode as previous drivers though.

Will have to test more, maybe it was just an isolated incident.

Regards,
    SB

5. Broken Hope

Regular

There's a WHQLed 8.700 driver over at station-drivers.com I don't know if they are the final 10.2's or not I'm guessing no, at least I'm hoping they aren't since they still have the monitor suspend bug and they don't include any of the recent hotfixes though I'm guessing the final 10.2's probably won't have any of the recent hotfixes in them anyway.

[​IMG]

[edit]

Actually after a reboot it does seem to put the monitor into suspend mode.

#145 Broken Hope, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
  6. jaredpace

Newcomer

7. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

What is the peak memory clock and what does CCC say at idle?

8. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Well it seems changing the card's 3D clocks to 850/1200 instead of 870/1250 (normal clocks for Vapor-X) fixes the flickering when the card changes to/from UVD clocks. Even when I had forced the card's normal clocks (870/1250) 24/7, the screen would still flicker changing to/from UVD clocks (the only time it would flicker). I bet if I flashed my card's bios to set the cards 3D clocks at 850/1200, I wouldn't need to force 3D clocks 24/7.

But of course that voids my warranty. I just wanted a fan that was quieter! :sad:

Also I'm not positive this is the case yet. Sometimes it goes a long time without flickering, but it seems to be working.

If I don't tamper?

Peak - 1250
    Mid - 900/1200
    Low - 300

9. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

And that is with two monitors plugged in?

10. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Yep

11. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

You need to contact Sapphire on that one.

12. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Yeah I flashed my card to AMD's "default 5870 bios" and all is well. No more running 3D clocks 24/7. I guess I will wait until Sapphire releases a bios fix.

13. Psycho

Regular

No wonder it flickers then (when changing clocks) - it's not supposed to change memory clock in multi monitor setups.
    Doesn't Radeon Bios Editor support 5800 yet? (so you can fix the powerplay clocks yourself)

14. air_ii

Newcomer

Perhaps you have Overdrive enabled? I found that when you enable OD (no matter if you change something or not), memory clocks change, even if you have 2 monitors active, which is not supposed to happen. If you disable OD, it's ok and screen doesn't flicker (Sapphire reference 5870 here).

I'm guessing a bug in BIOS/Drivers?

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Blast, looks like I still get the grey stripped screen with the hotfix for it. Seems to take a bit longer before it occurs though. Ah well, it's still progress at least. Now it doesn't appear EVR will trigger it just games after sleep mode.

Also seems to be a little better at trying to recover. It's a little easier to close the triggering app before complete lock.

Regards,
    SB

16. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

I only read one of the many forums with the 500+ comment topics, but I haven't seen anyone whose grey stripes issues have been resolved by this hotfix. But I guess it only promises to 'alleviate' the situation.

17. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Don't worry guys, like I said I have flashed my card to the vanilla 5870 bios and all is fine (memory clocks don't change from 1200). I will reflash to Sapphires' fixed bios (when they release it) so I can remain under warrenty. Until then let's hope my card doesn't die. :razz:

18. Broken Hope

Regular

Another new game (BioShock 2) and no profile for AA support in the driver. I really hope this sort of thing will be a thing of the past once we get profiles, assuming we're going to be able to download profiles like was previously said. Nvidia's latest drivers have SLI/AA support for this game I believe.

19. Broken Hope

Regular

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Blast, finally got around to installing and testing 10.2, and while the situation with grey/stripped screen and lockup is much better, it's still there.

Took 3 days for it to finally manifest, however (3 sleep/wakeup cycles with heavy useage in between), so it's definitely better. It's also slightly different now. Extendend display went to a weird color instead of grey or striped.

Had thought it was fixed. Ah well back to using hibernate instead of sleep, thankfully no problems with that. :)

Off to check Gigabytes website to see if they have a new MB Bios, as improvements there have in the past resolved display related issues. (edit - dang, 2 new bios revisions since I last checked).

Regards,
    SB